Old 02-19-2018, 11:21 PM   #1
smueske
Human being with feelings

Default RTM1 (experimental electronic music)

Here is a new piece I've been working on. It's an experimental electronic piece called RTM1. Would love to hear your thoughts.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qN...PT2a44umk0TcYu

Last edited by smueske; 02-20-2018 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Updated file
smueske is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:46 AM   #2
mschuster

Great ambient intro!

You painted some really nice musical landscapes. I think I need to listen to this again in the evening. My caffeine high is just not putting me in the right frame of mind. My wine high would be much more conducive!

Loved the piano! Beautiful.

Speaking as someone who typically writes - and listens to - mainstream music, I found this piece strangely refreshing and a nice departure from the "same old, same old" regurgitated chords and arrangements all of our brains have been rewired to recognize and yearn for.
mschuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:23 PM   #3
smueske

Thank you for listening, and for the comments. Yeah, ideally, the listening situation should be when you are alone and it is quiet, but that doesn't always happen. I am grateful you gave me a little of your time. Very much appreciated.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:44 PM   #4
RDBOIS
Banned

Sounds good. I like ambient music.

It's not the genre that I create so what I'm about to propose my be completely inappropriate, but if it was me I'd add another layer to the song.

The additionally layer would focus on contextual story telling. For example, say I'd want to tell the story about 'a walk in central park', I'd get sound samples from youtube videos about stuff happening in central park, mess around with them to great sentences and loops (e.g. reverse them, add flanger, long reverb, infinite delay, etc_), and then add them in the ambient sound scape to tell the story of what is happening on this virtual walk.

I don't know, perhaps storytelling is not part of this genre. Just another layer of something...
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:28 PM   #5
smueske

I appreciate that your heart is in the right place, but that would be intellectual theft. Thank you for listening.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:42 AM   #6
uksnowy

Definitely experimental. Sounded great though. Slightly left-field with some great noises. That kick/bass sounds awesome through the 10"krk sub. Almost took the windows out. I felt it wanted to groove a bit but the other pieces in the track kept it nicely pinned down and kept me guessing where it was going.

A very cool piece. I'll give this a few more runs over the weekend.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #7
smueske

Ha ha! Thanks for the listen, man! Much appreciated.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:11 AM   #8
uksnowy

You're welcome.

Off topic a bit. But how is it going with the experimental album you are putting together?.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:03 AM   #9
smueske

I have a couple albums coming out, so not exactly sure which one you are referring to. Mine is a retrospective called "So Far," which will be released on Mar. 30 on Pink Dolphin Records and features 29 songs produced between 2002 and 2017. It will be digital and limited edition double cassette. I also curated a compilation called "Eidolons," which will be out mid-March on Spectropol Records. That one will be a free release under Creative Commons. It's 16 songs ranging from collage to microtonal to musique concrete to minimal. I'm very pleased with it. Well, both really. Thank you for asking!
Old 02-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #10
zeekat

Those tuned kicks(?) really do move some air. Nicely orchestrated chilly dark space, never a dull moment.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:11 PM   #11
smueske

Thank you! (and yes the kicks are tuned.)
Old 02-27-2018, 03:56 AM   #12
uksnowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smueske View Post
I have a couple albums coming out, so not exactly sure which one you are referring to. Mine is a retrospective called "So Far," which will be released on Mar. 30 on Pink Dolphin Records and features 29 songs produced between 2002 and 2017. It will be digital and limited edition double cassette. I also curated a compilation called "Eidolons," which will be out mid-March on Spectropol Records. That one will be a free release under Creative Commons. It's 16 songs ranging from collage to microtonal to musique concrete to minimal. I'm very pleased with it. Well, both really. Thank you for asking!
Sounds awesome. I look forward to hearing them. But I was specifically referring to a compilation project your were putting together of, and I paraphrase, beautiful, broken music.

At least I think it was you.. LOL..
Old 02-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #13
smueske

Ha ha! Yeah, that was me.