Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-03-2021, 11:34 AM   #1
Retro Audio Enthusiast
Human being with feelings

Default Favourite Channel Strip / Track Plugins?

What your favourite default channel strips or plugins on a track? Any recommendations?

I record acoustic music, mostly guitar-based so I tend to go for an old-school retro approach with colour. I get things good at the mic then take it from there.

I use the Lindell Audio 80, with an LSR VLB902 de-esser for vocals.

Lately after a Waves sale, I've been playing with the Waves Renaissance Vox & Axx for vocals and guitar, with channel EQ on the VEQ and the Kramer Tape.

My usual Master Bus plugins are Airwindows Capacitor 2, the 112db Redline EQ, TR5 Tape 80 then bx_limiter.

My Reverb Send goes to a PSP 2445, epicVerb, Verbtone, Mikron or TR5 Sunset Strip Reverb or an old hardware ZOOM 1201.
Retro Audio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:25 AM   #2
hexSPA

The Melda free bundle is great. Sonimus Satson is handy and is my currently preferred console emulation.

Obviously everyone will have their preference. Like most people, however, I generally use a (dynamic) EQ, and basic compressor for most insert duties. Past that, I'll use some kind of saturation or distortion as well as MUtility for keeping my volume automation separate.
hexSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:35 AM   #3
beingmf

If you like the Lindell 80, you might want to try some of the Acustica Neves. Gold (the vintage suite) is great obviously, but I have to admit that I just used Lime and Navy (two more modern Neves) on a retro acoustic "folk pop" mix on 6 strg and 12 strg and it sounds amazing.

All those combined with the Kush Omega transformers -> chef's kiss!
Old 06-04-2021, 02:00 AM   #4
pekki

I've really been liking the new SSL Native bundle, which comes at $14,99 as a monthly sub. Their channel strip is probably responsible for 90% of EQing I ever do in a mix, plus you can switch between E and G channels, inside a single plugin.

Plenty of other stuff in the bundle that is hella good
pekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:20 PM   #5
ivansc

Another plus for the SSL Natives. I have had the reverb and the channel strip for several years and both are excellent, even if they are digital representations of digital hardware!
Old 06-04-2021, 10:01 PM   #6
Tone Ranger

If you love the Lindell 80, you should also try the Lindell 50 if you haven't already. Equally as good, but API style...
Tone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:32 PM   #7
jazztom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Audio Enthusiast View Post
What your favourite default channel strips or plugins on a track? Any recommendations?

I record acoustic music, mostly guitar-based so I tend to go for an old-school retro approach with colour. I get things good at the mic then take it from there.

I use the Lindell Audio 80, with an LSR VLB902 de-esser for vocals.

Lately after a Waves sale, I've been playing with the Waves Renaissance Vox & Axx for vocals and guitar, with channel EQ on the VEQ and the Kramer Tape.

My usual Master Bus plugins are Airwindows Capacitor 2, the 112db Redline EQ, TR5 Tape 80 then bx_limiter.

My Reverb Send goes to a PSP 2445, epicVerb, Verbtone, Mikron or TR5 Sunset Strip Reverb or an old hardware ZOOM 1201.
A great channel strip for tracking and mixing is the PSP channel strip (0 latency)
jazztom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:35 AM   #8
airon

We're completely spoiled for good choices.

Be sure to stick to very few choices at the start, until you get the most out of them. Then you'll know what to really listen for. At least that's how it was for myself and a number of other folks I read about.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote