Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 06-10-2021, 09:13 PM   #1
Daodan
Human being with feelings

Default "Always float mode" for FX chain window

Hi.
The idea is simple: hide fx configuration area and don't show it embedded in FX chain window when plugin window is closed.

Something like this:

Why
I use floating fx's a lot but sometimes I need FX chain window to be opened to reorder, copy/paste, toggle bypass plugin's, auto create routing, freeze up to last selected FX and more.
The problem is when I want to hide plugin interface and close it, the plugin shows in FX chain window.
And there to much empty space when FX floated and you can't rid of it.

In a nutshell: FX chain window without plugin settings area.

Hope someone will understand me

Last edited by Daodan; 06-10-2021 at 09:16 PM. Reason: upd
Daodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:52 PM   #2
foxAsteria

You could dock the mixer on the side, one track wide, and enable "show fx inserts..." and "scroll view..." options in the context menu. Then you will always see the fx in the chain of the selected track and can even toggle floating them directly from there.

You can do most of those other things as well (shift click to bypass, ctrl+drag to copy, drag to reorder).

Additionally, you can edit the context menu for the extended mixer to include any other actions you might need.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:42 PM   #3
Daodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
You could dock the mixer on the side, one track wide, and enable "show fx inserts..." and "scroll view..." options in the context menu. Then you will always see the fx in the chain of the selected track and can even toggle floating them directly from there.
Thanks you for reply.
I know it all and I use it all the time. But you can't select multiple plugins, can't toggle bypass them all at once, can't see PDC by plugin, can't freeze up to last selected and more. FX chain window is more functional and that's why we need it. Something just easier to do in it.

Quote:
You can do most of those other things as well (shift click to bypass, ctrl+drag to copy, drag to reorder).
Sometimes my friends Ctrl, Alt and Shift need a vacation.

Quote:
Additionally, you can edit the context menu for the extended mixer to include any other actions you might need.
Of course but for now much is not possible even with actions and scripts.
I don't want to give up FX chain window in exchange for slots in TCP or MCP. I use them both in synergy. I'm just asking for a little improvement for it. Actually I don't ask to add something but cut half instead

But thank you anyway.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:27 AM   #4
Daodan

Bump
Old 11-01-2021, 01:30 AM   #5
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daodan View Post
FX chain window is more functional and that's why we need it. Something just easier to do in it. Sometimes my friends Ctrl, Alt and Shift need a vacation.
In my personal opinion, what I would rather like to see is the mixer FX list becoming fully functional.

I wish FX slots had a small button on one side which you can click to bypass FX instances without holding shift (which is annoying if you want to toggle bypass with one hand while pressing midi-keyboard keys with the other).

I wish there was a "Cut FX" option in the FX list context menu. It is especially useful when having only the mixer channel of the selected track side-docked and you want to move an FX from one track to another.

Also all the other options which I personally don't use that much (like PDC, keyboard input, MC routing etc) should be available when right clicking the mixer FX list.

This would allow to do everything in a sleek way just with the mixer. That FX list window is just always in the way and I can't wait to get totally rid of it, once the mixer FX list becomes fully functional.

P.S.: re-assigning modifiers for the FX list would be very welcome too! I wish I could use alt-drag to copy FX and no-modifier-drag to move FX as that is the convention for macOS file system and almost all apps on macOS. This would also allow things like LeftClick = float FX window, LeftClick+modifier = select FX.. or the other way around.

Last edited by Phazma; 11-02-2021 at 04:23 AM.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote