Old 10-12-2018, 05:09 PM   #1
SmajjL
Human being with feelings

Default v5.96+dev1012 - October 12 2018

Grayter1 won this one
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=212139

# Takes: improved smart take reconciliation (uses later take if earlier takes are empty, better take lane detection)

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:40 PM   #2
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Grayter1 won this one
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=212139

# Takes: improved smart take reconciliation (uses later take if earlier takes are empty, better take lane detection)

Take switching doesn't work now if the item doesn't have a first take... (I'm constantly pressing T in this .gif)

Here are the take settings:

Edit: Confirmed that this behaviour wasn't in 1010
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #3
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
Take switching doesn't work now if the item doesn't have a first take... (I'm constantly pressing T in this .gif)
Thanks, fixing for tomorrow.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:26 AM   #4
EvilDragon

Question: this behavior seems to make all the sense in the world. Is there any particular reason why it needs to be an option (and especially a pretty confusingly named one - I don't think anybody will figure out what it does just from its name)?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:28 AM   #5
bigjoe

NO! Please, don't make it default behaviour!
Most of the times when editing vocal comps i want takes in slices of an item to move indipendently!!! That's very, very important for fast troubleshooting.
For Example, i made my comp and everything but a little section, a syllabe or a word sounds great. I need to quickly audition ALL the takes, but only in that slice, without influencing other takes.

Smart takes are gonna be super useful for drum editing, but not for vocals, that's for sure.

Just my two cents
bigjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:35 AM   #6
G-Sun

Thanks for improving the take-system!
Appreciated.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:34 AM   #7
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
NO! Please, don't make it default behaviour!
Most of the times when editing vocal comps i want takes in slices of an item to move indipendently!!! That's very, very important for fast troubleshooting.
For Example, i made my comp and everything but a little section, a syllabe or a word sounds great. I need to quickly audition ALL the takes, but only in that slice, without influencing other takes.

Smart takes are gonna be super useful for drum editing, but not for vocals, that's for sure.

Just my two cents
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but this new option only changes behaviour with switching takes when several taked items are selected (as I understand it). So in your use case, switching takes in a single item wouldn't be different with this option on or off.
(Correct me if I got that wrong...)

Last edited by nofish; 10-13-2018 at 04:41 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:24 AM   #8
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Question: this behavior seems to make all the sense in the world. Is there any particular reason why it needs to be an option (and especially a pretty confusingly named one - I don't think anybody will figure out what it does just from its name)?
Often it's desirable to move 'in takes', even if it leaves blank spots. This might be the case with a vocal/dialogue performance where you simply want a whole phrase, yet the timing may not be perfect. If you used smart reconcile, then you'd end up with bits of every phrase all over.

I would personally prefer if this wasn't an option, but instead was actions. That way I could easily switch between the two behaviours at will without needing to mentally keep track of which option is active. e.g. "Smart reconcile - next take" and "Next take" being different actions, instead of one action with 2 options.

I don't know how many take actions that would involve though.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:26 AM   #9
Robert Randolph

If that last reason wasn't clear why you may want both options, I can make a graphic explaining it.

There's definitely really good uses for both.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:30 AM   #10
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
Often it's desirable to move 'in takes', even if it leaves blank spots. This might be the case with a vocal/dialogue performance where you simply want a whole phrase, yet the timing may not be perfect. If you used smart reconcile, then you'd end up with bits of every phrase all over.

I would personally prefer if this wasn't an option, but instead was actions. That way I could easily switch between the two behaviours at will without needing to mentally keep track of which option is active. e.g. "Smart reconcile - next take" and "Next take" being different actions, instead of one action with 2 options.

I don't know how many take actions that would involve though.
I think the separate actions would only be ~4 so far (next/previous reconcile, delete take lane, and select take under cursor). Oh, and all of the "select take 1... select take n" actions too, doh.

But then when clicking takes to select, we would need an option (or mouse modifier).

Maybe the "allow selecting empty lane" option could just use this mode when its not enabled.

Last edited by Justin; 10-13-2018 at 06:36 AM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:01 AM   #11
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Maybe the "allow selecting empty lane" option could just use this mode when its not enabled.
Hey, that sounds smart.

That's why they pay you the big bucks.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:05 AM   #12
imispgh

Default NINJAM Clipsort not pulling files in

Projects come up with no audio files. Works in 5.96rc4X64 (W10)
imispgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #13
Icchan

Darn it... my small FR was lost when the linked thread was deleted...

I wanted to suggest something like "Use last take if complete" and of course "use first take if complete" etc. options. and "use last/first take regardless if complete"

These could be nice to make using takes a bit more straight forward and allow everyone to choose their poison so to speak

Especially when loop recording many takes it often happens that I think I finally got the latest take as I wanted it to, then I cut the recording in middle of the take obviously since it looped... would be great if I could default to the latest complete one (the one I thought was good enough finally)
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:55 PM   #14
EvilDragon

You do know you can set a threshold for "complete take" in Preferences->Audio->Loop Recording?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote