Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 10-18-2018, 02:52 AM   #1
airon
Human being with feelings

Default Dragging Many Items - unprocessed until dropped

The Problem
Lots of tracks, selecting 500-1500 items, all with a hundred envelopes of track automation across them. Transport is stopped.

I'm dragging stuff down to other tracks. It's slow as hell as the items get dragged across tracks that have a hundred envelopes on them, identical in active parameter count as the other tracks.

As soon as stuff gets dragged across tracks with no envelopes, things speed up dramatically.
The Comment
It appears Reaper keeps the session up-to-date in the middle of dragging the items, which can slowed down user interaction to a crawl. This is likely collateral damage from trying to do everything live, which is awesome, except where it makes no sense.
The Request
Please have housekeeping, live processing, whatever, kick in when the user lets go of the mouse button to place the items at the intended target, in other words until the items are dropped.

The media buffer prevents almost any live interaction when editing this stuff anyway, so there is little point in trying to keep track of where a thousand items are being dragged until the user gets to where he/she wants them to be ?

The benefit of seeing the waveforms while dragging is great, but feeling the effect of Reaper just trying its best to keep up doing stuff with the items WHILE I'm moving them is not.

I hope this is not too much work.
Replicating the Problem
Create one or two track with some EQs and a Comp or two, fully automated with some data here and there, across 15-20 minutes. Just repeat some drum sequence or something with some settings. It just has to be a lot of data.

Replicated those tracks 20-30 times. Delete the material on half of them.

Now drag the material to the empty tracks. Slow, right ?

Create empty tracks with no plugins. Now drag the material to those tracks.

Last edited by airon; 10-25-2018 at 06:07 AM. Reason: calmed down, more productive wording
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:09 AM   #2
airon
Human being with feelings

Updated the first post to be less agressive and clearer in explaining the problem I routinely have. Most of this occurs in session setup, as hundreds of tracks come in and I organize large chunks of it, sometimes across hours of material.

This whole request just boils down to "Process where the items were until I drop them at a new location". Could very well be an option in Prefs/Editing .
airon is offline   Reply With Quote