Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-05-2018, 05:27 AM   #1
MikeMcK
Human being with feelings

Default Realtek/Behringer ASIO drivers clash?

I've been having problems with Reaper crashing since I got a Behringer UMC404HD and installed the drivers. I also immediately noticed clicking sound from my monitors whenever Windows opened or closed a new screen or window.

For a year before that I was using the same laptop with an XR18 without problems (also Behringer, but a different USB driver), so it's narrowed down to the UMC or its driver. Tried a new UMC unit, no luck.

No crashing when I use ASIO4All, but that won't work for me. Behringer cust. care told me to uninstall all other ASIO drivers and try again, so I finally uninstalled the Realtek driver that came with the laptop. No crashing but now I can't get any other audio out of my laptop (prior to this, I'd get audio from a YouTube video out of my monitors. Now, nothing.

I'd hate to throw out hardware over something simple, but I'm on the verge of doing that (way past the 30 days and besides, Sweetwater already exchabged the unit.. Before that happens, has anyone run into something similar?
MikeMcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 05:49 PM   #2
Rick Settle

I've had no real crashes using my UMC404HD, but I have to switch drivers mid-stream, so to speak, when recording. If I select the UMC404 drivers for recording, I can record and play back in Reaper just fine. But, I have to switch back to the Realtech drivers if I leave Reaper in order to hear any other audio.
Rick Settle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:36 PM   #3
rustyStrings

Default Behringer-Realtek problem

I don't know if this will help but I experienced crashing/lockup with Reaper and Behringer 404UMC one time. I saw a post about Windows 10 turning off USB ports to save power and I believe that was the problem. Its been running smoothly since I changed the power saving setting for USB.
Open settings--search 'device manager' to open control panel--go to USB serial bus controller and double-click on it it opens a second window with a tab for Power Management--uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'

I'm new to reaper, still evaluating but maybe this will help.

Returning to default audio can still be a problem with unplugging the umc usb and rebooting as a last resort although I have got it to work by switching default speakers.
rustyStrings is offline   Reply With Quote