Old 12-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
ender7x77
Human being with feelings

Default Melodyne

Hello, I'm very new to all this, so I apologize if the question is repeated. I very much enjoy Reaper, as it offers a lot at a cost effective way. I've been buying a lot of recording hardware, but now i need some software, particularly an auto-tune for vocals. With melodyne, it offers a lot of what i'd want to do with vocals. however, i downloaded trial version to see how it runs in reaper, and i cannot seem to find any link in the effects/plug-in window. i read on their site that it does not support reaper. does this mean i cannot use melodyne on reaper? if i can, what am i doing wrong? I can open melodyne on its own...
ender7x77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
grinder

Default Melodyne

I have been using Melodyne for years ender7x7 I must admit I use it on it's own purely for the fact that I can give my audio file the attention it deserves.
The fact is that closing down the Reaper project, starting up Melodyne, doing the editing, closing down Melodyne and starting up your project again takes very little time.
If I remember correctly I did bring Melodyne in as an editor and it worked when I did it, but found that I preferred using it solo.
Great program, recommend it.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
ender7x77

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
I have been using Melodyne for years ender7x7 I must admit I use it on it's own purely for the fact that I can give my audio file the attention it deserves.
The fact is that closing down the Reaper project, starting up Melodyne, doing the editing, closing down Melodyne and starting up your project again takes very little time.
If I remember correctly I did bring Melodyne in as an editor and it worked when I did it, but found that I preferred using it solo.
Great program, recommend it.

Grinder
thanks for the quick response. i see what you're saying. ive read more on these threads that opening through reaper has some stability issues i.e. crashes. so, you record a file in reaper, save it, close reaper, then open audio file in melodyne to do edits. when reaper re-opens file, it will play edited version then. so, it seems melodyne editor offers the best options (polyphonic) in terms of celemony products. need to save some money, but also lot more affordable than auto-tune products. thanks.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
grinder

You summed it up beautifully ender7x77

enjoy it

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
gofer
-blänk-

If you don't find the Melodyne plugin in Reaper's list my suspicion is that the installer put the file Melodyne.dll somewhere else but the VSTplugins folder Reaper looks into. Make sure that Melodyne.dll is installed in (one of) the location you specified in Preferences -> Plug-ins -> VST. If not either add the location of the dll to Reaper's VST paths or relocate the dll (not sure whether simply throwing the dll into the folder works or whether you have to reinstall Melodyne picking the right folder during the installation).

Melodyne editor works nice here as a plugin in Reaper on an XP32 bit system. But I haven't really pushed it hard yet, so I won't say there can't be a problem.
Celemony not supporting Reaper is a matter of they might not help you with problems if they occur, it doesn't mean at all that it can't run problem free.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
ender7x77

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
If you don't find the Melodyne plugin in Reaper's list my suspicion is that the installer put the file Melodyne.dll somewhere else but the VSTplugins folder Reaper looks into. Make sure that Melodyne.dll is installed in (one of) the location you specified in Preferences -> Plug-ins -> VST. If not either add the location of the dll to Reaper's VST paths or relocate the dll (not sure whether simply throwing the dll into the folder works or whether you have to reinstall Melodyne picking the right folder during the installation).

Melodyne editor works nice here as a plugin in Reaper on an XP32 bit system. But I haven't really pushed it hard yet, so I won't say there can't be a problem.
Celemony not supporting Reaper is a matter of they might not help you with problems if they occur, it doesn't mean at all that it can't run problem free.
thanks. its now opening via reaper, though when i record a track, then add melodyne for an effect, no audio wave appears in melodyne. with that said, if i open melodyne up on its own, open an audio file in it, the audio wave appears in melodyne ready for editing. once again, thank you. i'm also running an XP32 bit system (cant seem to let go of it)
Old 12-05-2011, 11:45 PM   #7
moio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ender7x77 View Post
thanks. its now opening via reaper, though when i record a track, then add melodyne for an effect, no audio wave appears in melodyne. with that said, if i open melodyne up on its own, open an audio file in it, the audio wave appears in melodyne ready for editing. once again, thank you. i'm also running an XP32 bit system (cant seem to let go of it)
you know that you have to "transfer" every audio file into Melodyne with Melodyne as a plugin, do you? There's a transfer button on the top left side. First push "Play" in Reaper, then "Transfer" in Melodyne, and everything goes fine ...
moio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:53 AM   #8
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by moio View Post
you know that you have to "transfer" every audio file into Melodyne with Melodyne as a plugin, do you? There's a transfer button on the top left side. First push "Play" in Reaper, then "Transfer" in Melodyne, and everything goes fine ...
this is kind of a REAPER specific quirk because in other daws (or autotune) you push transfer first, then play.

Melodyne as a plugin is unfortunately very clumsy but being able to hear the rest of your song and tune relative is SO important.
by clumsy I mean no key commands, auto scroll works intermittently, navigating the session with the big plugin window in the way gets old fast.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
ender7x77

thanks. i never knew to transfer audio to melodyne
Old 12-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ender7x77 View Post
thanks. i never knew to transfer audio to melodyne
check out the quickstart guide that comes with Melodyne. Its one of those plugins that can really destroy your audio if you don't know what you're doing.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #11
moio

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
check out the quickstart guide that comes with Melodyne. Its one of those plugins that can really destroy your audio if you don't know what you're doing.
+1
I can only recommend watching tutorials - that's how I got to understand melodyne.
moio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
kirk

gofer,
Could you please help me figure out how to get editor to appear in Reaper's vst folder. I can't find the .dll file to even move. Is there some trick to this I'm missing. Could you look at you file structure and tell me how it was installed and to what folders. Thanks
kirk is offline   Reply With Quote