Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-18-2014, 06:25 PM   #121
helgoboss
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G View Post
I've tried the demo and this looks pretty neat.

Does anyone know how PayPal works if the price is shown only in euros and you want to pay in US dollars? Is the amount converted at the point of sale?

Thanks-

-Susan
Right before you actually pay, Paypal tells you the converted amount in your currency. So you can still back down at that point if you don't like the amount in your currency
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #122
Susan G

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Right before you actually pay, Paypal tells you the converted amount in your currency. So you can still back down at that point if you don't like the amount in your currency
Thanks, helgoboss.

-Susan
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:04 AM   #123
jico27

Quote:
Wow, so much feedback to process
@jico27

Are you on W7 32-bit or 64-bit? I will try this later and see whether I can reproduce the problem.
W7 32-bit. I have this message appearing all along the installation process. But this doesn't prevent the app from being installed.
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:15 AM   #124
vanhaze

Any known timeframe for osx version release ?
Sorry, cant wait !
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:43 AM   #125
plamuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgo
That's how the Launchpad support is implemented right now. Pure MIDI (see user guide section "Visual feedback with Launchpad and Co.").
awesome. thank you for being considerate to users of other software/hardware.

Quote:
(difference 1) - "refresh" command not implemented. Do you know how that refresh command looks like? A special CC value?
the refresh command is not launchpad specitic. rather, it is intended to replicate this functionality (as described from your site) a little more smoothly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visual feedback with Launchpad and Co
Start playback in REAPER and stop it again. The device should now indicate which slots are filled.
an arbitrary CC value may be used for this. this is completely optional for users with non-standard launchpad layouts and other controllers that have different modes. Example: mode 1 = Playtime controller. mode 2 = REAPER action controller. when you switch back to mode 1 from mode 2, a user may associate that refresh CC with a return to mode 1, relighting all relevant LEDs even when REAPER playback is stopped.

Quote:
(difference 2)Tempo-synced NOTE ONs and NOTE OFFs are sent only if a clip is going to start soon (countdown)
cool, that's better than what i'd suggested (flashing during playback). i'm assuming that you'll have active/playing cells light up as a different color?
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #126
kaiman

Default You just made my day

Thanx to the creator. This has the potential to be a game changer for many!
Off to download and test!
kaiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #127
PitchSlap

After reading the user's guide, I'm actually getting a lot more excited by this!

I used to use MobiusVST alot as a looper, and while there are a lot of things I LOVED about it, there were also some limitations (audio only recording, hard to integrate with a host, etc).

The workflow from nothing, to all the parts to a song was the more fluid and intuitive of anything I've used, and I really want to get back to that.

A have a few suggestions from Mobius (a few which may already be possible).

1) This is by FAR the biggest. I don't want to have to decide a tempo before hand. I want to be able to record the first midi or audio clip "freely", then have Playtime treat that as the main loop length, assuming 4, 8 or 16 bars, and then change the Reaper project tempo to match (whatever makes sense mathematically, Reapers detect tempo often returns nonsense like 16 BPM when 64 or 128 BPM is correct).

That way I can get the main idea, and after the project tempo is set based on that, other audio/midi loops can be imported and timed correctly.

If you check the Global Quantization FR in my sig, there is a LOT of info on how Mobius and the Echoplex looper it's based on handle this.
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2623

2) Another thing I loved about Mobius was being able to reverse the clip, this is great for audio, and could probably lead to some unexpected and creative accidents with MIDI.

3) Mobius also allows doubling or halving the playback rate. For MIDI this would just be the same as changing the item playback to 0.5 or 2, with audio that amount of time-stretching will some horrible, so when Mobius plays the audio faster the pitch is an octave higher, and slower the audio is an octave lower. Things stay in time and in tune without any nasty artifacts. This is a great way to get interesting textures.

Both 2 and 3 would of course happen in time when the main loop restarts.

(less of a priority, but thought I'd mention it anyway)
4) When using Reaper in general I don't want my MIDI made into external files, but in this instance the MIDI lengths will be perfect loops which makes it far more valuable as it can be reused in the Media Explorer, assigned to a different instrument and will adapt perfectly to any other project tempo. I could probably convert the items to files manually, but some icing on the cake would be a feature of Playtime to create my recorded MIDI clips as external files irrespective of the global setting in Reaper.

Coincidentally, you might be filling my 2 most important and long-standing feature requests (close to 5 years now), so THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
Old 11-20-2014, 03:18 AM   #128
fladd

Tried it yesterday. I like the idea! However, it seemed to work quite differently to how I remembered Live (version 4) to work. The workflow is not the same, unfortunately, which probably makes sense, since it is a plugin and not natively integrated. It might be good for when you are planning a Live session, but for what I used Live for (jamming and trying out stuff) it isn't that intuitive and not "fast" enough (i.e. needs a lot of setting up, planning, etc.).

So I guess it is not for me, unfortunately. Still hope this gets implemented natively, though!
And keep up the good work, I am sure this can be useful for others!
Old 11-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #129
TripodII

Funny I was just at Guitar Center trying to reluctantly negotiate a deal on Ableton Live just to get the clip switching functionality. Definitely gonna give this a go
TripodII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:41 AM   #130
todd_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Question: any chance ton embedd natively Playtime in Reaper ? forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=149712 [permalink]
Asked by gilbert (109.19.9.x) on November 9 2014, 1:15pm
Reply on November 10 2014, 11:30pm:
Hmm interesting but we'll see. I know JeffOS wants that too.
http://www.askjf.com/index.php?q=2981s
Promising
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:01 AM   #131
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_r View Post
Promising
I hope so. i wish we had a bit more info.
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:28 AM   #132
Seventh

Hey there. A couple of feature requests here:

-Automatically detect the most probable subdivision for the loop length, instead of assuming everything is in 4/4, for some polyrhythmic goodness.
-Maybe also an option to set this manually
-Waveform preview with where you can set stretch markers & loop points à la Bitwig.

Cheers
Old 11-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #133
Sunaj

trying the demo out now. is it possible to record items as midi and not on track as audio? if that makes any sense
Sunaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:20 AM   #134
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaj View Post
trying the demo out now. is it possible to record items as midi and not on track as audio? if that makes any sense
I don't know exactly what you are referring to, but one "advanced" technique covered in the manual is recording your clip triggered as MIDI, which allows editing/arranging afterwards which is more flexible than what can be done in Ableton/Bitwig. Before rendering the project however, all clips must be written to the timeline.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #135
EpicSounds

Quote:
Quote:
Why not post something you've made with Playtime? I don't get why you're posting these music videos.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #136
MCCY

Quote:
Concerning stability for live use, until now nobody has reported a crash to me yet. But of course Playtime is pretty young. Time will show. If someone experiences a Playtime-related crash, please report it on the issue tracker.

The 8 columns/slot groups don't restrict you to eight mixer channels. Each clip can be on a different mixer channel (track).
using it on win8 tablet I had some crashes just from the beginning, but maybe I did something wrong... Now after activating monitoring it seems o.k. Sometimes it just forgets to take the items directly into the slot after recording... but that must be also me only.

I come from mobius too, like someone else here, so my biggest wish is an auto tempo detection... I made a script for that for my own looping experiments and it seems it can be used in combination with this workflow. Wow, so many possibilities, I'getting old and tired of complicated things... Maybe I'll just buy it to support the developement!

1000thanks!

Martin
MCCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #137
MCCY

Bought it.
It would be great to be able to remotely record active slot and also fill withselected item. I cant mangage to create several triggers for every single slot... i just have a 4x4 padcontroller.
When I create first item with temporecognition and automatic cut (own script) it is not possible to load the cutted item, because the length changes to original lenght before cutting. Would be nice, if item was looped like it is displayed in the arrangement.

Ich würde also das erste item aufnehmen wie gewohnt, es via script zurechtschneiden lassen und das Tempo feststellen lassen und dann das item in den ersten freien Slot einfügen. Andere Slots würd ich auch gerne per Fußschalter ansteuern und dann mit einem knopfdruck die aufnahme starten...
MCCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #138
lxm

Thank you very much for making this. Will defiantly purchase. Having said that, it does seem a little steep IMO.. Especially compared to the cost to purchase REAPER. Again, not complaing just my opinion. Looking forward to some tutorial videos.
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #139
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxm View Post
Thank you very much for making this. Will defiantly purchase. Having said that, it does seem a little steep IMO.. Especially compared to the cost to purchase REAPER. Again, not complaing just my opinion. Looking forward to some tutorial videos.
20 Euros/25 USD is steep? For all of the work that is going into it? What sort of price do you suggest then?
Old 11-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #140
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
20 Euros/25 USD is steep? For all of the work that is going into it? What sort of price do you suggest then?
Relative to the cost of Ableton Live/Bitwig, Playtime is very cheap. Relative to the cost of Reaper or a Reaper update (which may, or may not include similar or expanded functionality and countless other features) Playtime is very expensive. It all depends on the perspective.

Also, until this point most user-created additional functionality (themes, extensions, scripts, JS plugins etc.) has been contributed for free. The creator of this is a professional programmer however, and I think if it's fair for them to seek monetary incentive to continue development considering they could be doing with their time/skills (I'm aware other professional programmers have donated their time to the Reaper community, but that doesn't mean we are entitled, and that everyone else is required to do the same).

Last edited by PitchSlap; 11-26-2014 at 04:42 PM.
PitchSlap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:27 AM   #141
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Hi
HelgoBoss, any progress or update at the horizon ?
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #142
gwok

so.......

how's the OSX build coming along?
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:21 PM   #143
Giano
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
Relative to the cost of Ableton Live/Bitwig, Playtime is very cheap. Relative to the cost of Reaper or a Reaper update (which may, or may not include similar or expanded functionality and countless other features) Playtime is very expensive. It all depends on the perspective.

Also, until this point most user-created additional functionality (themes, extensions, scripts, JS plugins etc.) has been contributed for free. The creator of this is a professional programmer however, and I think if it's fair for them to seek monetary incentive to continue development considering they could be doing with their time/skills (I'm aware other professional programmers have donated their time to the Reaper community, but that doesn't mean we are entitled, and that everyone else is required to do the same).
Reaper is free of charge !
or € 47,50 (I guess most have this non-professional license)
Playtime is € 20 (USD 25), that´s about 42 % of the Price for Reaper (
including all features, inluding all plugins etc. !!!)
How could one plugin based on Reaper structure be worth 42 % ?!
So I agree...
Giano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #144
gwok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giano View Post
Reaper is free of charge !
no it's not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giano View Post
How could one plugin based on Reaper structure be worth 42 % ?!
So I agree...
WTF is this logic?

I mean I guess if you completely disregard the developers time and right to earn a living from their trade, I guess is makes sense in a twisted sort of way. Do the math, it's probably not gonna put him on Forbes cover
Old 11-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #145
EpicSounds

It's pretty simple. One guy creates something that didn't exist for a tiny niche market. There's only a small group of reaper users that want the product and he needs to charge a certain amount to make back the time he spent on it.

REAPER's price is way too low for what you get.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #146
Giano
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post
no it's not

WTF is this logic?

I mean I guess if you completely disregard the developers time and right to earn a living from their trade, I guess is makes sense in a twisted sort of way. Do the math, it's probably not gonna put him on Forbes cover
I said something that is obvious:

Compared to the price for Reaper, it is way too much !

Imagine there are people, musicians, artists practising, working, performing,
living on the breadline, and they do that almost their whole life, and some of them are very skilled artists - and very often they have to perform for free ! What´s that compared to something that has been developed within less than 6 months only !?
But it does not really matter what I say, if he wanted € 100 and people would pay ...let them pay...

And imagine there are people in this forum, one has developed a great and special drumkit and it´s for free !
He has spent a lot of time with a lot of passion developing the the drumkit.

I am not saying the dev of Playtime is doing wrong, I simply compared the price to the price for Reaper ! That´s all.

Last edited by Giano; 11-27-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Giano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #147
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
It's pretty simple. One guy creates something that didn't exist for a tiny niche market. There's only a small group of reaper users that want the product and he needs to charge a certain amount to make back the time he spent on it.

REAPER's price is way too low for what you get.
Quoted for truth.

You can buy Cytomics 'Glue' compressor, or you could buy ReaComp for less and get a free DAW with it...but it won't sound like The Glue. If this is useful to people, it is worth as much as people are prepared to pay for it, just like everything else.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:53 PM   #148
lxm

Ya'll can simmer down. Im going to support it. Im giving thanks. Just my opinion. You dont have to agree with it. I dont care.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #149
helgoboss

Just a small update about OS X support. My plan is to publish a pre-release next week. Things are working already quite nice on Macs without Retina display. On Macs with Retina display, some bugs still need to be fixed.

Minimum OS X version is 10.7 for now.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:12 PM   #150
gwok

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxm View Post
Ya'll can simmer down. Im going to support it. Im giving thanks. Just my opinion. You dont have to agree with it. I dont care.
i was a little harsh, heheh, no hard feelings.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #151
gwok

Quote:
Just a small update about OS X support. My plan is to publish a pre-release next week. Things are working already quite nice on Macs without Retina display. On Macs with Retina display, some bugs still need to be fixed.

Minimum OS X version is 10.7 for now.

awesome!
Old 11-28-2014, 03:45 AM   #152
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_r View Post
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=5100

Here's the FR (turns out I'd already voted on it)

Everyone vote!
Thanks I missed to vote this. I don't know if voting counts but I'm voting anyway
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #153
lxm

Quote:
Money is an artificial construct, nobody needs it.
See... You get it :P buying it this weekend regardless. Love you all
Old 11-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #154
ugh

Is it difficult to set up a Novation Launchpad to use Playtime ?
ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #155
plamuk

no, it's very easy using the learn feature
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:51 AM   #156
ugh

I don't really know much about MIDI learn, but I will give it a try then.
ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:39 AM   #157
ValeryOrloff

Default How it work?

Hi!
He (playtime) launches regions? clips = reaper's regions?
or individually load samples to each cells?
how does this work?

Last edited by ValeryOrloff; 12-04-2014 at 05:51 AM.
ValeryOrloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #158
Taika-Kim

I have maybe an obvious problem:

I have MIDI clips that I am triggering with a Quneo. However, the trigger notes are being sent forward all the time, so for example if I have note G-3 triggering a clip, when I press the correspondind pad on the Quneo, the MIDI pattern plays with a continuous note G3 overlaid all the time.

Now I'm having a send to another channel that's not listening to the control channel that Quneo is sending on, but this feels unneeded.

Is there a more graceful way to avoid this problem? I have a feeling here that I'm missing something cruelly obvious...
Taika-Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:20 PM   #159
helgoboss

Hi all,

it's time to publish a Mac OS X prerelease: playtime-v1.1.0-pre3-installer.pkg

System Requirements:
  • OS X >= 10.7
  • REAPER >= v4.7, 32-bit or 64-bit

Instructions:
  1. Download the installer.
  2. Start it. In some cases, OS X might refuse to start it because the installer is not signed. In that case, just find the downloaded file in Finder, right click it, choose the context menu entry "Open" and when the warning appears, click the "Open" button.
  3. Follow the instructions of the installer.
  4. Open REAPER.
  5. Add the track template "Playtime".
  6. Have a look at the user guide.

Known Issues:
  • Mouse cursor sometimes doesn't update
  • Looks a bit lo-fi on a Retina display (I'm going to work on that one later)

Remarks:
  • Many thanks to @gwok for testing pre1 and pre2! Those prereleases made REAPER crash quite often on certain OS X environments. This is fixed in pre3, so now it's much more likely that you can enjoy a "crash-less" experience.
  • The installer currently installs Playtime to the folder
    Code:
    /Users/<username>/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST
    REAPER by default looks for VST plugins in that folder. The advantage over a system-wide install is that also non-admin users can install it. A system-wide install (
    Code:
    /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST
    ) is perhaps a more common location. For the user experience however, it makes no difference. I have no idea how much Mac users care about this kind of things. Any thoughts on that are welcome.

Have fun!

Cheers
Ben
Old 12-04-2014, 02:43 AM   #160
Taika-Kim

Is a completely "super exclusive" mode out of question, so that only one loop would play at a time?

I am using a Quneo to trigger MIDI clips, but now I need to stop the playing every time I trigger a clip from another group... Otherwise like this with immediate switching of loops it would be possible to create really fluid leadlines, especially with an arpeggiator behind, that can change the rhythms too...

Also if it could be somehow to build in support for controllers like the Quneo, it would be very very useful, now I can't see what patterns are playing. I think somebody already explained here how it could be made.
Taika-Kim is offline   Reply With Quote