Old 10-18-2021, 01:20 PM   #1
Welrod
Human being with feelings

Default Un-''crop to active take'' ?

Hi

I know if we crop to active take in an item, we will not be able to recover the old takes we cropped

Then the solution is to Show/Hide all takes in lanes (when room)
But this action acts on the entire project

Is there a way to Show/Hide all takes in lanes ''from an item'' specifically ?

Thank you
Welrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:01 PM   #2
karbomusic

I thought you could control via track pixel height where multiple lanes auto-collapse but I'm not finding it. If that worked then you could adjust making the track smaller and when it will auto-collapse by doing so.

At any rate, there's no such thing as un-cropping a take since that really means throw away inactive takes. It wasn't meant or designed for recovery but rather committal.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:13 PM   #3
Robkress

I've never used the crop to active take yet. For me, I've just been comfortable with the takes living under the active comp and it doesn't bother me. But....

If one is fastidious with take / recording markers and project management, can't the take just be found in the project folder and dropped back in?

Indeed it is not desirable to make standard practice but seems like a pretty easy solution for recovery.

Sorry for the slightly off topic,

cheers,

Rob
Robkress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:15 PM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robkress View Post
If one is fastidious with take / recording markers and project management, can't the take just be found in the project folder and dropped back in?
Actually you could, and if you have the option set to embed the BWF chunk you can drag it back in and choose "move to source position" (our whatever it's called) which will move it to the original position on the timeline, assuming you know which file it is but good naming would make that fairly easy. Messy in comparison and a rescue instead a workflow, but doable.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:24 PM   #5
ashcat_lt

TBH this is one of several reasons I tell it to make backup files every time I save. I don’t trust autosaves do to ptsd from before I ever met reaper, but I made a custom action that saves every time I hit the space bar - either to play or stop.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:57 PM   #6
Welrod

Thanks for your answers, your solution could work, but not really what I expect.

I really like the action : Show/Hide all takes in lanes

But it's so bad that it applies to the whole project
Welrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:56 PM   #7
Multibomber

I have a pretty good work-around... it allows me to do extraordinarily complex things, and committ to decisions, but always be able to go back and fix a mistake. It has 3 parts:
-Make judicious use of the "Save New Version" function.
-Set your Auto Backups to save every 5 min in a "Project Backups Only" folder.
-Delete contents of Projects Backups at the end of each day.

Here's how I do it: Lets say I'm tracking drums for a song called "Nightmares".
I play 20 takes of the Intro. Then I go through and comp my takes, but I dont delete, crop, or glue any takes. I'm just comping and setting my crossfades so everything sounds flawless. Once I'm satisfied with the entire intro, I save the project
Nightmares.rpp

Then I select the entire intro and use Crop To Active Take, then I glue the items together, THEN I Save New Project Version.
Nightmares_1.rpp

Lets say I've made it to the 3rd verse, I'm now at Nightmares_5.rpp and I realize that I made a bad crossfade on the Intro, I can just open up Nightmares.rpp, fix the bad edit, and then copy that into Nightmares_5.rpp and keep going. This allows me to comp and crop takes, and glue items, but I can always go back, simply by saving, then doing something destructive like glueing and Crop to Active Take, and then saving that destructive action as a new version. This is basically a way to do a Pro Tools-style Playlist... a feature that is HORRIBLY MISSING FROM REAPER and Jesus fucking Christ someone should do something about it.

Another example: Lets say I'm on Nightmares_5.rpp and I've copied that fixed crossfade in and now I just finished the 3rd verse. I comp and Crop To Active Take and Glue Items and I hit Save, instead of Save As New Version. Oh crap, now I can't go back to those individual takes later if I find another problem... Actually I can! Since autobackups are saving every 5 minutes, I Just open up the most recent saved autobackup, save it as Nightmares_5.rpp, and proceed like normal.

This is a crucial part of my recording process because I have NEVER EVER made it through an entire song without screwing up something major at least once and this always saves my ass.

Just remember to empty your Project Backups folder at the end of the day, because that folder will be 30 or 40GB after a 10hr workday.

Last edited by Multibomber; 10-18-2021 at 10:08 PM.
Multibomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:08 AM   #8
bolgwrad

I always record with 'Free Item Positioning' enabled. That way all the takes display after recording and are already discrete items. This is a per-track option.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:45 AM   #9
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welrod View Post
Hi
Then the solution is to Show/Hide all takes in lanes (when room)
But this action acts on the entire project

Is there a way to Show/Hide all takes in lanes ''from an item'' specifically ?
No there isn't, but there should be. Having more control over show/hide all takes would be a great improvement. I never really want it for the whole project, but only for a track or even item at a time.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:02 AM   #10
fuzzball

I have always wished there was a way to show/hide all takes for a specific item. Or at least to configure how many pixels tall/short I need to make the lane before it hides the takes.
fuzzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:19 AM   #11
Cosmic Pig

After editing a vocal track I usually glue the track then render the reatune so I can copy paste without losing the tuned parts. Like, in case i wanted to copy the best chorus or pieces of it into every chorus type dealio.

So, to the point of the OP, I always copy the whole track with all the lanes and takes etc off to well after the end of the song for a sort of storage in case I need a different take later.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:58 PM   #12
User41

This is probably JV, but when I comp, the first thing I do is duplicate the track and mute and hide the original track.

Then I make decisions and commit. I rarely go back to my original track with all the takes but when you need to, it is nice to have the file in your latest project version.
User41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:08 AM   #13
Robkress

I like the idea of copying and hiding the original track. This feels very Reaper to me. What I mean is....

A track that I can't see, doesn't abrade me at all. And who cares if the project file grows bigger because it is still super small compared to the raw audio files. A copy of the track is a virtual reference... isn't it?

What would happen if you cropped to active take? I assume the raw audio tracks would be preserved in the project for the hidden original track.

Yea, this sounds really good to me.

cheers,

R
Robkress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:02 PM   #14
sockmonkey72

works great (although it's actually the copy which is hidden, but it doesn't really matter)
sockmonkey72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:13 AM   #15
Multibomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post

works great (although it's actually the copy which is hidden, but it doesn't really matter)
A shockingly great and simple idea!
Multibomber is offline   Reply With Quote