Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 10-10-2021, 12:03 PM   #1
Primeval Mudd
Human being with feelings

Default Keyboards/controllers that don't need editors or have editors that work in Linux/WINE

This first post is quite specific - the discussion broadens as the thread continues. Please add your recommendations for keyboards/controllers that work and those to avoid.

Keyboards that need software editors are a pain. Having to fire up the editor puts extra load on your computer, takes you away from making music and, if you're a Linux user, might not work at all.

The M-Audio Oxygen25 doesn't need a software editor and is very good value for money.

The Alesis V61 uses a software editor but it works OK in WINE.

I've done a little video which basically says what I just said.

Give it a watch if you're very, very bored but there are definitely better ways to spend two minutes of your time.

Website | YouTube | Facebook | Soundcloud

Last edited by Primeval Mudd; 10-27-2021 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Making title more comprehensive
Primeval Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:18 PM   #2
pax-eterna

Just to add to this thread - the Arturia Keylab MK II editor does not run in Linux under WINE, as, apparently, WINE has issues with accessing USB devices via editing apps - no such issue using them as controllers though. This is something I don't get really, but it is what it is.

Just posting to add to the thread re editors and Linux.

Oh and the John Melas editors for the Yamaha keys also do not work, at all! Don't even load properly.
pax-eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:59 PM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax-eterna View Post
Just to add to this thread - the Arturia Keylab MK II editor does not run in Linux under WINE, as, apparently, WINE has issues with accessing USB devices via editing apps
The editing software for my Akai MPD26 reads and writes just fine over USB from the editor running in WINE to the physical hardware.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 03:41 PM   #4
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
The editing software for my Akai MPD26 reads and writes just fine over USB from the editor running in WINE to the physical hardware.
yeah right hey!! I know of a few other devices that do work...I know from John that his editing apps have some serious issues with WINE and Linux, forget USB....I logged it at WINE HQ and they accepted it as one to look at (haha in the fullness of time - my paraphrasing there)

I wrote to Arturia and they essentially said "bugger off, we're not really all that interested"

PS: Just a "gentle" nudge to the OP, mebbe change the title to something like Controller Editing Apps that work/don't work in Linux?? Just a thought not trying to teach a granny to suck eggs or nothing
Old 10-10-2021, 04:35 PM   #5
Primeval Mudd

Quote:
PS: Just a "gentle" nudge to the OP, mebbe change the title to something like Controller Editing Apps that work/don't work in Linux?? Just a thought not trying to teach a granny to suck eggs or nothing
Yep, good shout.

I thought about that after your first reply but couldn't decide on a title and got sidetracked by making squelchy bleepy noises with Odin2.

Old 10-10-2021, 04:56 PM   #6
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Yep, good shout.

I thought about that after your first reply but couldn't decide on a title and got sidetracked by making squelchy bleepy noises with Odin2.
hahaha all good, nothing like making squelchy noises! Yeah it'll make it easier if others are searching for a similar issue.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2021, 07:08 AM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Keyboards that need software editors are a pain. Having to fire up the editor puts extra load on your computer, takes you away from making music and, if you're a Linux user, might not work at all.

The M-Audio Oxygen25 doesn't need a software editor and is very good value for money.
I just got an M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini yesterday to use with my Raspberry Pi and REAPER. Editing is pretty easy and I've already set the pads and damper pedal up so I can play SM_Drums like a drum kit, and programmed two banks of faders to control the drawbars on the Hammond organ plugin SetBfree. The drawbars start at CC70 if anybody needs to know.

Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:15 PM   #8
Primeval Mudd

Quote:
hahaha all good, nothing like making squelchy noises! Yeah it'll make it easier if others are searching for a similar issue.

Thanks
Sorry for the delay. 'Tis now sorted.

I might do a little list on the first post as more stuff crops up but can't guarantee anything - life's a tad hectic at the minute.

Last edited by Primeval Mudd; 10-27-2021 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-27-2021, 01:16 PM   #9
Primeval Mudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I just got an M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini yesterday to use with my Raspberry Pi and REAPER. Editing is pretty easy and I've already set the pads and damper pedal up so I can play SM_Drums like a drum kit, and programmed two banks of faders to control the drawbars on the Hammond organ plugin SetBfree. The drawbars start at CC70 if anybody needs to know.

Cheers Glennbo.

Old 10-28-2021, 04:59 AM   #10
Pinknoise

AKAI LPK25 works fine.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:56 AM   #11
elcalen

My little cheap Behringer controller (UMA25S) needs no software and works without issue, just plug in and play.

As a largely unrelated little tip: I don't always use the controller when working on music so I often don't have it switched on when I start Reaper. However, Reaper doesn't automatically detect it if I switch it on after starting. So I added a toolbar button for the action "Reset all MIDI devices", which I can hit after switching my keyboard on to have it detected.
elcalen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 03:55 PM   #12
pax-eterna

Let me clarify one thing. I am NOT talking about using them within hosts. They all use the system class compliant drivers.

I am talking about using those PC editors (only on Windows or MAC) that wikl not run in WINE, to edit your settings on the keyboard.

WINE has no USB "Passthrough" capability so ergo these editors cannot SEE the 'board is actually attached.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:39 AM   #13
porzione

Arturia MiniLab mkII works fine under Linux without win editor unless you want to edit custom maps or upgrade firmware, but it is true for any controller. I set my maps once in VirtualBox and don't need the editor anymore because I can switch maps from keyboard itself. In fact you can just use pre made maps in Reaper, maybe with some mapping in Reaper. I prefer to use certain CC for Arturia knobs in VST/LV2 so I made my maps. I even made jsfx for Arturia (using sysex) to light up pads from drums track.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:36 AM   #14
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by porzione View Post
Arturia MiniLab mkII works fine under Linux without win editor unless you want to edit custom maps or upgrade firmware, but it is true for any controller. I set my maps once in VirtualBox and don't need the editor anymore because I can switch maps from keyboard itself. In fact you can just use pre made maps in Reaper, maybe with some mapping in Reaper. I prefer to use certain CC for Arturia knobs in VST/LV2 so I made my maps. I even made jsfx for Arturia (using sysex) to light up pads from drums track.
Yep your first statement nailed it!