Old 04-27-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
dodobirds
Human being with feelings

Default "Bounce-In-place"

Please forgive me if this has been asked in another topic, I searched for it but didn't find anything.

So I'm coming to Reaper from Logic but the only thing that seems to be stopping me from making the move and test-driving reaper in a real project (with very real deadlines!) is that I can't figure out how to render a midi item in place as audio.

For those of you not familiar with logic, let me explain : in logic, you can select a midi region (item) and automatically render it in audio while muting the midi item. So basically, with a single keystroke, you can convert a midi region to an audio one.

I've tried doing the same thing in reaper but I seem to be running into problems because I have many multi-timbal instruments. Let me explain : most of my libraries are hosted in a PC slave wired to my master via VE pro. Since I always bounce to audio before mixing anyway,I don't bother creating a separate audio output for each midi track. Instead, all 16 midi tracks hosted Ina single ve pro instance come through a single audio 'bus'/output. Whenever I try to re-create the bounce in place process of logic, I ran into problems for some reason.

So my question is this : given that I am very open to discovering and trying new ways of doing this, is there any way to simultaneously bounce all midi tracks of a project to separate audio tracks, even if the midi tracks share the same audio outs?

So let's say for example that my project (while composing) consists of 50 midi tracks. When I'm ready to go into mixing mode, I'd like a magic wand to automatically convert everything to audio (while ideally moving all midi tracks into a sub project in case I want to change things later on but that's another story lol) in a single key stroke.

The million dollar question......is that possible or am I dreaming of a DAW that doesn't exist yet?

Massive thanks in advance!
dodobirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
EgM

Right click on the track(s), choose "Render/Freeze tracks" then choose "Render tracks to stereo stem tracks (and mute original)"

edit: ...sorry, nevermind, I re-read carefully and noticed you use multitimbral with vep. For that reason alone, I always put one instrument per instance in vep, so I can bounce in place...
Old 04-27-2017, 11:16 PM   #3
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodobirds View Post
Please forgive me if this has been asked in another topic, I searched for it but didn't find anything.

So I'm coming to Reaper from Logic but the only thing that seems to be stopping me from making the move and test-driving reaper in a real project (with very real deadlines!) is that I can't figure out how to render a midi item in place as audio.

For those of you not familiar with logic, let me explain : in logic, you can select a midi region (item) and automatically render it in audio while muting the midi item. So basically, with a single keystroke, you can convert a midi region to an audio one.

I've tried doing the same thing in reaper but I seem to be running into problems because I have many multi-timbal instruments. Let me explain : most of my libraries are hosted in a PC slave wired to my master via VE pro. Since I always bounce to audio before mixing anyway,I don't bother creating a separate audio output for each midi track. Instead, all 16 midi tracks hosted Ina single ve pro instance come through a single audio 'bus'/output. Whenever I try to re-create the bounce in place process of logic, I ran into problems for some reason.

So my question is this : given that I am very open to discovering and trying new ways of doing this, is there any way to simultaneously bounce all midi tracks of a project to separate audio tracks, even if the midi tracks share the same audio outs?

So let's say for example that my project (while composing) consists of 50 midi tracks. When I'm ready to go into mixing mode, I'd like a magic wand to automatically convert everything to audio (while ideally moving all midi tracks into a sub project in case I want to change things later on but that's another story lol) in a single key stroke.

The million dollar question......is that possible or am I dreaming of a DAW that doesn't exist yet?

Massive thanks in advance!
Does this maybe help ?:
http://reaperblog.net/2017/04/freeze_multichannel_vsti/
Old 11-27-2019, 05:41 AM   #4
jackmilas

This action does it:

SWS/AW: Render tracks to stereo stem tracks, obeying time selection
jackmilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:02 AM   #5
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
I think this is dealing with the opposite issue, one midi track, multiple audio outs, which is a different kettle of fish.

The action suggested by jackmilas wouldn't work because these tracks have no audio output, just midi, so the only way of exporting audio FROM those items is to do it via the master, or by moving the midi parts onto the track that contains the VSTi (maybe not possible if using VSL, not sure?)

Here is a custom action I made using Cfillions excellent render presets script,

I used Cfillions script to make a render preset for exporting items via the master (source set to 'selected media items via master', bounds set to 'media items', directory set to your project directory and file name using the 'track' wildcard') then built a custom action around it for exporting multiple separate items (midi or audio) via the master with master fx disabled. You need make sure the master fader is at 0dB though, and it won't mute the original midi part (though you could probably set this up).

Here is a gif with the midi drum parts separated onto tracks, all being routed to one master VSTi channel containing the drum VSTi -

I've also set up custom actions for rendering specific items with FX to a new track next to the original, but keeping routing, panning, sends, color and name+prefix, plus the option to mute/hide the original midi track. If you want a look at those then let me know, they won't work on child midi tracks like in this situation, but work excellently on normal VSTi tracks that are actually hosting the instruments.
Attached Images
File Type: png render via master.png (14.2 KB, 449 views)
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:44 AM   #6
Yanick

See my scripts https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....39#post2079639
Yanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:16 AM   #7
robgb

Select all the tracks, right click, Render/Freeze, Freeze tracks to stereo. Done.
robgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:42 AM   #8
archkali

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmilas View Post
This action does it:

SWS/AW: Render tracks to stereo stem tracks, obeying time selection
OMG this is the greatest find yet. thank you!
archkali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:50 AM   #9
soundsvisual

It is!
soundsvisual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 02:57 AM   #10
Knob Twiddler

Thanx for this: SWS/AW: Render tracks to stereo stem tracks, obeying time selection
Knob Twiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 04:49 AM   #11
TonE

Nobody knows if the original posters question is considered solved.
I checked quickly it seems there is no right combination if lua yet.
What is required is something like render through master, but not using master, instead parent track.
Then user should setup the tracks as follows:

1. Audio track with vst (multi-timbral sound source with 1 stereo output, this part is important): Orignial track with single vst with 1 stereo output, accepting multi-timbral input, so midi can come from midi channels 1 to 16, you can get 16 different sounds, from same single stereo output.
2. Now add all your midi notes, go crazy, add 50 more tracks, but important, all as child tracks. Actually add as many child tracks as you want and need. But no vst/fx will be loaded into those tracks, all notes will always directly go to its parent track (number 1 above) and trigger the sounds through this track.

Now having this situation. What is missing. Render time selection, through parent track (not master, also not through itself), then add as new track, replace original. If such a lua would exist, I guess it would fulfill all needs from above. Allowing working with minimal fx/vsti loading, but maximal midi composition tracks, going as wild as you want. But still being able to convert all those wild midi items (in various tracks) to audio representation (for mixing) with a single click.

The render through master should be modified to "render through parent", then also as new track, also mute original. Good luck friends, hope this idea helps someone, in future. Or a genius jsfx/lua master will implement suggested lua above.

Last edited by TonE; 11-15-2022 at 05:21 AM.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 04:59 AM   #12
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Nobody knows if the original posters question is considered solved.
Last Activity: 09-09-2022
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 09:51 AM   #13
juan_r

I could use a render action like this, too... each child (MIDI) track rendered into its own happy little stem via the multitimbral parent. Just like so.