Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 03-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
dadsquared
Human being with feelings

Default "drop outs" in final rendered file

I've been "auditioning" Reaper for about a week and it is great! Today I attempted my first "mix down to a WAV" file, and encountered some "drop outs" in the song, for lack of a better word. (I'm using Reaper v 3.35/i386 rev 11656)

My Mac: OSX 10.5.7, 2 gig RAM, no other programs open, and airport turned off. I was mixing down two Midi tracks, both running (demo) Pianoteq. Had dither on the mixdown tracks (I tried mixing down in 24 bit, then at 16 bit), and rendered in full speed offline mode (using the "better" resample rate).

Funny thing is, the drop outs never occurred in the same spot on the song- sometimes 30 seconds in, sometimes ten seconds in, one time about 6 seconds from the end.

I was able to get a "non-dropout" master by rendering in the 1X modes (online and offline)- but the full speed hasn't given me a good one yet.

So am I doing something wrong? On a hunch right now, I recorded a quick song using the same set-up, only without using the sustain pedal on my midi controller. The file rendered fine in high speed. Then I opened a new project, and recorded something similar, only this time using the sustain pedal. I rendered the track at full speed, and there was a drop out of one of the tracks about 30 seconds in. Could the messages from the sustain pedal be causing issues? I'm almost certainly grasping at straws with this test, so please feel free to make fun of me if I've missed an obvious fix!
dadsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:01 AM   #2
stupeT

Unfortunately not all VST / VSTi behave as they should when rendering at full speed. So online 1x is the safest way to go if you have such culprits.

What I usually do: stem-render each and every MIDI-based VSTi first. That also makes mixing easier for me. And in most cases I can render at full speed from then on.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:26 AM   #3
dadsquared

stupeT,

Thanks so much for the info! I'm "brand new" to the land of VST/VSTi, after MANY years of recording "physical" instruments and good old fashioned WAV files! It sounds like you have experience with VST instruments and such. The only thing that led me to think it WASN'T a VST issue is that I did similar "tests" in Garageband (using the same plug-in's), and they all came out fine. (actually, I stacked up 6 VST instruments in Garageband- I was only using 4 in Reaper- and it turned out fine)

However, if I know that I can do a 1X mixdown and get a good result, then I'll make sure to do 1X mixdowns! I'll have to dig deeper in the manual and figure out how to stem-render.

thanks again!
dadsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:05 AM   #4
stupeT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsquared View Post
stupeT,

However, if I know that I can do a 1X mixdown and get a good result, then I'll make sure to do 1X mixdowns! I'll have to dig deeper in the manual and figure out how to stem-render.

thanks again!
Your welcome.

Right-click on the track, choose "stem-render and mute original" either to mono or stereo as desired.