Old 11-27-2020, 03:26 PM   #1
Sulblk
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper freezes crashes

OK, I did just reinstall Reaper onto Windows 10 pro.
However, maybe it's me--but Reaper will become unresponsive after about an hour of work.
Today really hurt, I spent 3 hours creating a template---tried to play a sound (around track number 39) the sound froze and sounded like it was about to take my speakers out (Rokit 5). So of course, I shut things down---smh. Most of the template was loaded with Kontact, BBC Core (only one or two articulations per track) and 8Dio brass. Is it a issue with too many VSTs? I have tried to reload the template and all I receive is a blue circle of none response. I have tried to open up back up files and absolutely none will respond.
I will try once again, but prior to that I am asking if anyone else had this issue and what was a plausible solution. I'm trying not to go back to my old DAW, cause I have to relearn it again! :}
Sulblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
ivansc

So far all we know is that you have rokit speakers.
And are using a couple of fairly heavyweight plugins.

Give us a lot more detail re what you have in your computer and what your interface is, also (of course) are you running everything 32 or 64 bit or are you using a mix of both?

Also, did you try running resplendence.com`s excellent latency checker, which will highlight any system issues yo may have.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:38 PM   #3
Sulblk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
So far all we know is that you have rokit speakers.
And are using a couple of fairly heavyweight plugins.

Give us a lot more detail re what you have in your computer and what your interface is, also (of course) are you running everything 32 or 64 bit or are you using a mix of both?

Also, did you try running resplendence.com`s excellent latency checker, which will highlight any system issues yo may have.
Thank you so much for the quick reply, and I do apologize for the lack of info.
Currently C: is a 446 SSD drive D: a regular 4TB drive (libraries content are located there). A 64 bit OS with 16GB of RAM (which I will be upgrading). Intel core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.4GHz, Windows 10 Pro. Reaper 616 x64.
As far as I can tell I am running all VSTs in 64 bit, but I am going back to check.
I started over with my template, and used the bypass on the Kontakt instruments. I was able to get 49 tracks this time, it took about 10 minutes to load up.
I have not used Resplendence to check latency
Old 11-27-2020, 06:53 PM   #4
ukpdb111

Windows Key, type "eventvwr", click Windows Logs, then Application. Look for the error message at the time Reaper crashed (Source column: Application Error) and click on it. It should say faulting application name Reaper, what does faulting module name on the next line say?
ukpdb111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:12 PM   #5
Sulblk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukpdb111 View Post
Windows Key, type "eventvwr", click Windows Logs, then Application. Look for the error message at the time Reaper crashed (Source column: Application Error) and click on it. It should say faulting application name Reaper, what does faulting module name on the next line say?
Thank you for the quick reply. I am in the event viewer, and the error that occurs is Application hang. Looking through the event properties for the Application hang--the faulting package-relative ID: is blank
Hang type: unknown
smh...
After going thru the BBC tracks, I changed all of them to VST3i. There are 3 versions VSTi 32 out and vsti (x86) with vsti3 (32 out). I know I loaded the very first one, so all of them are changed right now. Still a long load time for 49 tracks, but I think a bit of tweaking with the RAM (going to 32GB) may help?
Once is stops working with Windows, I will check event viewer to see if I can research the issue.
Didn't have this issue with 7---but oh well.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:44 AM   #6
ukpdb111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulblk View Post
RAM (going to 32GB) may help?
While Reaper is running right click task bar, click Task Manager then Performance and you see in real time how much of your RAM is being used. With this information you'll know if more RAM is required.
ukpdb111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:23 AM   #7
Sulblk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukpdb111 View Post
While Reaper is running right click task bar, click Task Manager then Performance and you see in real time how much of your RAM is being used. With this information you'll know if more RAM is required.
Oh man...this thing is using 87%-96% of memory. Bout to get some sticks. Thank you for all your help, this takes a load of of me thinking I need another computer, after just getting this thing a few weeks ago.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:02 AM   #8
ivansc

Dern! 16gb & its getting swallowed! I am on a newer i7 than you - 4770 - with 16gb & never come close, even though I use a lot of virtual instruments.

At least you know what is happening now!
Old 12-03-2020, 02:22 PM   #9
Stella645

If you're loading lots of sample libraries in your template that are there in case you want to use them rather than you will definitely use them, set the plugin offline to save memory and speed loading.

Only bring them online as you want to use them.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:27 AM   #10
Sulblk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Dern! 16gb & its getting swallowed! I am on a newer i7 than you - 4770 - with 16gb & never come close, even though I use a lot of virtual instruments.

At least you know what is happening now!
Yes indeed! Good grief, I only had this computer for three weeks or so. As I dug more into it, it is a off brand motherboard with no possible way to upgrade the memory. For this buy I got ripped...smh. Now I will try and figure out how to use this thing until I get or build another computer. I just hate the fact that I have to reload all of these libraries. I do have the content on a hard drive while the VSTs are on the ssd drive (system). I will try and use a external ssd drive to load projects and templates on (don't thing that will help) but it may be worth a shot.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:28 AM   #11
Sulblk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
If you're loading lots of sample libraries in your template that are there in case you want to use them rather than you will definitely use them, set the plugin offline to save memory and speed loading.

Only bring them online as you want to use them.
Thank you so much, I will try that today, once I figure out how to set them off line.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:47 AM   #12
Stella645

Highlight the plug in the list and ctrl-alt-B or right click and toggle selected FX offline.

Also see actions for setting all FX online/offline for selected tracks.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:59 AM   #13
Sulblk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Highlight the plug in the list and ctrl-alt-B or right click and toggle selected FX offline.

Also see actions for setting all FX online/offline for selected tracks.
@Stella645---THANK YOU so much! I am going to go to my template and get to work! Thank you again!!!!