Old 08-07-2019, 06:34 AM   #1
DaveKeehl
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER CONTEST - AUGUST 2019 (VOTING)

REAPER CONTEST - AUGUST 2019
(ONLY REAPER PLUGINS ALLOWED!)

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

MIXING: 7-21 August
VOTING: 22-29 August
RESULTS: 31 August

This month the song is called 64 Bristol by the band The Wess Meets West, chosen by user EpicSounds that won in July.

At the end of the year, there are going to be small prizes:

1st prize: Track Inspector (VIP) by Heda + Premium Themes Bundle by Blankfiles
2nd prize: Premium Themes Bundle by Blankfiles

... so try to get as many points as you can from now on if you're interested in getting something for free

As always you can download the multitrack from the website or clicking on this link.

Happy mixing!
Dave

IMPORTANT:
DO YOU WANT TO SUPPORT THIS CONTEST?

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 08-22-2019 at 03:36 PM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:49 AM   #2
DaveKeehl

Welcome fighters
Old 08-07-2019, 07:29 AM   #3
jelloman

Dave, one question...

The rules say to send any "custom JSFX"...does that include any that are in the ReaPack as well?
Old 08-07-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelloman View Post
Dave, one question...

The rules say to send any "custom JSFX"...does that include any that are in the ReaPack as well?
Yes. You can find them in the reaper resource path
Old 08-07-2019, 06:10 PM   #5
jelloman

I got it set at 155bpm, but what time signature is this one in? I know it doesn't matter as far as mixing it is concerned, but I'm just curious...
Old 08-08-2019, 01:18 AM   #6
alphoc

Only rendered file or project ? Which one will we upload ?
alphoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:14 AM   #7
DaveKeehl

Quote:
I got it set at 155bpm, but what time signature is this one in? I know it doesn't matter as far as mixing it is concerned, but I'm just curious...
No idea
Old 08-08-2019, 03:15 AM   #8
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphoc View Post
Only rendered file or project ? Which one will we upload ?
Project because this month only reaper plugins are allowed
Old 08-08-2019, 05:27 PM   #9
EpicSounds

just mixed this today for a video, using the AIR fx bundle. Might do it again with reaper plugs.

The number of tracks will be a challenge a lot of the participants I think. I feel like most of what is there is actually useful though.

Instead of running out of things to do at 50 minutes, this one took 2.5hrs.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:48 AM   #10
rodzroom

Default 5/4

Quote:
Time signature is 5/4 as far as I can tell. Just downloaded and did a faders up listen.

* it changes though.

Last edited by rodzroom; 08-09-2019 at 08:10 AM.
rodzroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #11
jelloman

Default FINISHED!

I have to admit that I was pretty intimidated when I first loaded the project...but I spent some serious time organizing all the tracks before I started mixing and that really paid off...

This was fun...
Old 08-13-2019, 02:31 PM   #12
PVinKC

Default DISASTER or no big deal?

Well...in trying my best to comply with the rules I have found yet another thing to Obsess about. Youlean Loudness Meter!!

So the PROBLEM is this...in Reaper I use the plugin in the Master FX slot as the final plugin. I get solid -14 LUFS and a limit at -1 however...when I render the numbers are slightly different (a bit looser in that the numbers go up a bit on the LUFS and down a bit in the limit to around -1.3)...but then when I PLAY the item in Groove and run the Youlean Loudness stand alone the numbers are WAY different!

I just played my recent render and the number outside of Reaper are -12.2 LUFS and +1.2dB...compared to the -14 LUFS and -1 dB on the limit in Reaper that's a HUGE difference don't you think?

WHY is this happening...any guesses, thoughts, suggestions, any work-arounds?
PVinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #13
jelloman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVinKC View Post
Well...in trying my best to comply with the rules I have found yet another thing to Obsess about. Youlean Loudness Meter!!

So the PROBLEM is this...in Reaper I use the plugin in the Master FX slot as the final plugin. I get solid -14 LUFS and a limit at -1 however...when I render the numbers are slightly different (a bit looser in that the numbers go up a bit on the LUFS and down a bit in the limit to around -1.3)...but then when I PLAY the item in Groove and run the Youlean Loudness stand alone the numbers are WAY different!

I just played my recent render and the number outside of Reaper are -12.2 LUFS and +1.2dB...compared to the -14 LUFS and -1 dB on the limit in Reaper that's a HUGE difference don't you think?

WHY is this happening...any guesses, thoughts, suggestions, any work-arounds?
I'd guess that the Groove player is boosting the signal...either there's an EQ or stereo processor active or just the nature of the player's encoding is adding levels to the signal...

Did you check your rendered track in the Loudness Penalty Analyzer? If not, try uploading the track that's rendered at -14LUFS/-1db here:

https://www.loudnesspenalty.com

...and see what their analysis shows...if you get 0.0 penalty then your render is fine and it's the Groove player that's at fault...

My track was rendered at -14LUFS/-1.5dB (in order to keep the TruePeak below -1.0) and it gets 0.0 penalty every time...
Old 08-14-2019, 04:59 AM   #14
PVinKC

Quote:
I'd guess that the Groove player is boosting the signal...either there's an EQ or stereo processor active or just the nature of the player's encoding is adding levels to the signal...

Did you check your rendered track in the Loudness Penalty Analyzer? If not, try uploading the track that's rendered at -14LUFS/-1db here:

https://www.loudnesspenalty.com

...and see what their analysis shows...if you get 0.0 penalty then your render is fine and it's the Groove player that's at fault...

My track was rendered at -14LUFS/-1.5dB (in order to keep the TruePeak below -1.0) and it gets 0.0 penalty every time...

Yep...never considered the EQ and settings in Groove Player. Big thanks for the "Loudness Penalty" site link! That's exactly what I needed for confirmation.

I echoed your choice of limiting and wound up with -14.3 LUFS and -1.5 limit. I got a ZERO (actually showed up as -.-) penalty. So I believe that I'm at least where I want to be with the finished product with regard to volume which was a huge issue in the last month's contest.

I won't make the same mistakes I did last time. I intend to wait until the last minute to upload. Last time I couldn't wait to participate and wound up cutting my own throat with a rushed product. There's no time limit by which I wind up costing myself money here...so I'll take my time and get everything right. Or at least do my best and upload on the 21st or 22nd.

Last edited by PVinKC; 08-14-2019 at 05:06 AM.
PVinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:16 AM   #15
PVinKC

Quote:
Dave, one question...

I was unable to find the JSFX that I used...they appear to either not be in the JS folder or they are named something different than their name in Reaper? I have just uploaded and did NOT include the JSFX because I could not find them and because I assumed the word CUSTOM meant that they were something we created that was NOT available in ReaPack?

So the question is...NOW what?!
Old 08-18-2019, 07:44 AM   #16
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Or at least do my best and upload on the 21st or 22nd.
Please don't upload after the 21st unless you really can't make it (check the countdown on the website to be extra safe ). Also keep in mind that entries IDs get shuffled, but if you send your submission late you automatically end up at the end of the list.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:01 AM   #17
DaveKeehl

Quote:
I was unable to find the JSFX that I used...they appear to either not be in the JS folder or they are named something different than their name in Reaper? I have just uploaded and did NOT include the JSFX because I could not find them and because I assumed the word CUSTOM meant that they were something we created that was NOT available in ReaPack?

So the question is...NOW what?!
By custom I mean anything that doesn't come with a fresh installation of Reaper. What you could do is to open your project in another computer or on a usb stick with a mobile installation of Reaper and see what effects are missing.
If you can't those it's fine... I can always include them if I have them.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:22 AM   #18
PVinKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
By custom I mean anything that doesn't come with a fresh installation of Reaper. What you could do is to open your project in another computer or on a usb stick with a mobile installation of Reaper and see what effects are missing.
If you can't those it's fine... I can always include them if I have them.
I think they are inside the jsfx.dll maybe? No idea. I just recently installed reapack and installed all 2800+ effects that come with it. Al JS stuff. It's in the JS folder in Reaper but I can't find the fx names in the physical JS folder?
Old 08-18-2019, 08:26 AM   #19
DaveKeehl

You need to go in the Reaper resource path, then Effects. You'll find them all there
Old 08-18-2019, 10:49 AM   #20
PVinKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
You need to go in the Reaper resource path, then Effects. You'll find them all there
WOW...those suckers were hiding for REAL! I had to do some serious searching to find them. But I was finally able to find every one of them. So I went ahead and reuploaded hoping that you won't mind ignoring my previous upload from earlier today?

Thanks for helping me figure out where these were. That's not a place where I look really ever and it's not in the paths listed inside of Reapers FX Preferences. So I saved a shortcut to that folder for any future plugins that need to be located or managed.

Looking forward to the 'Feedback' phase and of course to listening to the other entries and voting!
Old 08-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #21
DaveKeehl

Submissions will be online in about 2 hours!
Old 08-22-2019, 04:33 PM   #22
DaveKeehl

Ring ring ring

It's time to vote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:14 PM   #23
Not_Here

OOOOOH....Daaaayyyyyyyymmmmmm

That new design on the site is slick...