Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

View Poll Results: Would you use this feature?
YES, I would DEFINITELY use this feature 3 100.00%
I would probably use this feature 0 0%
NO, I don't have a use for this feature 0 0%
Not sure 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2019, 02:13 PM   #1
moregreenbeans
Human being with feelings

Default "Paste Special" or "Paste Punch" action to paste room tone to fit time selection

Apologies if this is a duplication. I did some searches and did not find a similar request.

<<REQUEST (short version)>>
Would LOVE to see an action similar to ProTools' "paste special" and Audacity's "paste punch" functionality which would allow you to copy a section of clean room tone and then paste it to fit a specified time selection. And it would only paste enough room tone to match the duration of the active time selection.

<<ELABORATION>>
So, you could copy, say 10 seconds of room tone. Then highlight any duration on your track and paste the room tone to fill only that time selection. If shorter then your 10 second snip of room tone, it would trim it to fit your time selection. If longer than your 10 second snip, it would loop your clean room tone snip and then trim it to fit your active time selection so adjacent items do not get bumped and the timing thrown off.

<<BENEFIT>>
Particularly for dialogue/voiceover, this is sorely needed to expedite the process of removing breaths and other stray noises from the track in a clean and efficient way.

<<REASON>>
The touted best practice for removing breaths and other noises is to paste room tone over them vs. cutting/muting them, which can create jarring changes between room tone and silence in the final audio. Currently, there is no good process for achieving this without complicated custom actions or scripts, or having to exactly match the timing of your copied room tone snip and the time selection you want paste over. Users have clearly been looking for this feature, as evidenced in other threads on this forum.

Pretty please!! Thanks!
moregreenbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #2
Ribor92

I would like to bump this!

I've tried all scripts (free and paid) and custom actions to no avail. It needs to work perfectly when editing hours upon hours of Audio book/VO material. And with all the power of customization Reaper holds, this is just one of those areas we need something dedicated that "just works"!
Ribor92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:24 PM   #3
X-Raym

I have a very special pack which should be pretty close to what you need (ReaScripts: Room Tone Editing with SWS Resources), it works by first referencing somm room tone sound in SWS ressource window, but maybe a slight modification of it is needed to make it works to your needs ?

In this case, please explain what are you needs exactly, and how existing solutions fails for you.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:19 PM   #4
moregreenbeans

@Ribor92, I found a solution that has worked really well for me once I got the right custom actions set up. I have used it on several projects and it does just what I need. I still think Reaper needs to create this as a basic action though.
I posted my solution on this thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=175702.
moregreenbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:26 AM   #5
Ribor92

@X-Raym
I bought you pack X-Raym, and it works, sometimes, but seem to cut after the time selection if time selection is shorter than loaded Room tone sample.

Would love for it to work though, since loading the file in SWS Resources wont mess with other cuts and copy actions.
--
@moregreenbeans
Your custom action seem like it could work but it seems to involve a bit more work for every edit from your final post in that thread:
"but with the caveat that you need to create a new item (splitting on either side of what is to be replaced) and highlight it, then run the action."
--
Also tried the Reaper blog one and that one has issues that also seems to depend on the copied Room tone length when pasting messing with edits after the time selection.

In S1 (which I'm desperatly trying to get rid of due to recent bloatware updates) I could add my looped roomtone as a layer (expanded under the VO track) and then drag-select the section I wanted to replace and it would just jump up and replace the section (like comping). One click-and-drag just scrolling along the timeline replacing sections. Has been working great. But like I said, S1 gotta go for me and this is the last piece and Reaper can't do that bit faster as of now!
Old 11-09-2020, 09:23 AM   #6
Ribor92

Quote:
Originally Posted by moregreenbeans View Post
@Ribor92, I found a solution that has worked really well for me once I got the right custom actions set up. I have used it on several projects and it does just what I need. I still think Reaper needs to create this as a basic action though.
I posted my solution on this thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=175702.
I actually think you are onto something! I tested your custom action, and if I split it first and the run the custom action it works fine, every time! Thats good! I then added a "split items at time selection" first to make it a one key action and it works fine from brief testing!

This enables me to get going now in Reaper, thank you all for helping!
Old 11-09-2020, 04:11 PM   #7
X-Raym

@Ribor92
Ok so maybe your need was a bit different than the original request I got cause I didn't had any update request since I shared them.

But they can surely be adapated a bit to fit more needs,
How should it extend items if time selection is longer than the room tone file ? Looping ?

Though if moregreenbeans answer your needs, then you have another way :P
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote