Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 09-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #1
Erriez
Human being with feelings

Default Build and debug CSurf Surface Controllers with Visual Studio Community (Github)

I've created a ready to use CSurf project (surface controller support for REAPER) by using Microsoft Visual Studio 2013, 2015 and 2017 (Tested with the free Community Editions).

The project is available on Github:
https://github.com/Erriez/reaper_csurf_vs201x

The original "REAPER Extension SDK" is pretty old (2009) and contains build files for Visual C++ 6. I could not find documentation how to upgrade, build and debug surface controllers, so I decided to do it myself and write my own guide. It is just an upgraded project to support 32 and 64 bit REAPER (Windows) without touching the original SDK sources. I've changed only some include paths for simplicity.

I think this is a great quick-start for lots of people. I'll add more documentation about the internals of REAPER / surface controllers.

Is someone interested to add support for MAC? Volunteers are welcome to add fully tested pull-requests. (I don't have a MAC, so can't test it)

Feedback is welcome.

Last edited by Erriez; 09-16-2017 at 06:27 AM.
Erriez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:41 AM   #2
Teddy

This is a great effort! Thank you!!
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:26 AM   #3
Geoff Waddington

Thanks for the effort !
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:29 AM   #4
fundorin
Banned

Awesome! What "compatible surface" means? The one that supports Mackie/HUI protocol?
fundorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:33 AM   #5
Erriez

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundorin View Post
Awesome! What "compatible surface" means? The one that supports Mackie/HUI protocol?
"Compatible surface" means that basic features are supported, such as transport, fader/pan control etc. Just a little background about the protocols:

The MCU (AKA Mackie) protocol is reverse engineered from the popular Mackie MCU Pro controller. Documentation is available on Internet. The X-Touch also supports the MCU protocol, but I noticed that some commands are not implemented in the X-Touch.

The HUI protocol is also reverse engineered, because this is a closed protocol, has less features and bad documentation.

In Reaper | Preferences | Control/OSC/web you can select the following devices which are part of this open source project "reaper_csurf.dll":
- Behringer BCF2000 (MCU protocol)
- HUI (Partial) (HUI protocol, not recommended)
- Mackie Control Universal (MCU protocol for the Mackie MCU Pro / X-Touch / TouchDAW etc)
- Mackie Control Extender (MCU protocol for the Mackie MCU XT Pro / X-Touch Extender etc)
- PreSonus FaderPort (Unknown protocol)

Let me know if this answers your question.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:29 AM   #6
fundorin
Banned

I understood now. You've made a modern version of CSurf default plugin, so everyone who would like to build his own plugin, could quickly use your project. I think that your repository should be linked at Developer's SDK page of the main Cockos site.
fundorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
Erriez

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundorin View Post
I understood now. You've made a modern version of CSurf default plugin, so everyone who would like to build his own plugin, could quickly use your project. I think that your repository should be linked at Developer's SDK page of the main Cockos site.
Yes, that's correct.

Note: I started to build a surface controller with OSC several month ago, but encountered lots of OSC limitations. The developers simply refused to publish the OSC sources from the binary "reaper_csurf.dll", but I don't know why. So implementing a csurf driver from my GitHub project is the best option at the moment.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:41 AM   #8
Betov75

Default Visual Studio Community 2019

Hi!
I'm very new to C++. I want to use your code to link it with OSARA code and do my best to create an accessible Control surface script for the blind.
I'm having that error when pressing the green arrow:

"There were build errors, do you want to..."

I can't find in VSC 2019 where to do this in your very detailed walkthrough:
Debugging | Command:
For REAPER 32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\REAPER\reaper.exe
For REAPER 64-bit: C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\reaper.exe

Thank you in advance,
Patrick.
Betov75 is offline   Reply With Quote