Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 01-06-2018, 02:46 AM   #41
inarisound
Human being with feelings

I totally agree with ED on this one... it should at least stay as an option to be zoom dependent. (talking about grid division)

p.s
is it possible to have "automation lines" like in Midi Editor.. for consistency ?

I posted example 4 months ago about it....
Before:

After:
inarisound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:48 AM   #42
Luster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Having multiple levels of shading would be crazy.
Not sure about that. Unfortunately my gif editing skills aren't existent - I would love to build a mockup-video of interaction to see it. Again, 3 levels would do it. Pre7 is a mess. (Maybe it depends on the scrollwheel settings?)
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:11 AM   #43
EvilDragon

It's absolutely not a mess, to me. I'd hate to lose the way it was in pre7.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:30 AM   #44
strachupl

everyone will be happy
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:39 AM   #45
swiiscompos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commala View Post
Edit: to further add to the discussion, I don't think that the even/odd track number shading was ever very useful. Think about what information it's actually conveying... couldn't you deduce whether a track is even or odd by looking at the number? If you hide a track, then you can tell a track is hidden by whether the background does not alternate in places, but this is only true if you just hide one track, or three etc. If you hide two tracks or any other even number of adjacent tracks, then again the patterning looks the same as if you had not, and you are again relying on the track numbers to see whether there are hidden tracks. I've never found it to be necessary at all personally and I would also argue having gridline shading and track even/odd shading simultaneously would be too much altogether.
For people working with very large track counts and keep them minimized most of the time the even/odd track shading is absolutely essential. I use it all the time as a guide when I'm working on the right side of the screen.
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:41 AM   #46
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strachupl View Post

everyone will be happy
I'd prefer only selected tracks to be visually accentuated horizontally and not that odd/even type of accent.
fundorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:01 AM   #47
SoulOne82

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
the value of the markings as a navigational aid goes away if the meaning of the marks changes as you zoom.
THIS!
SoulOne82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:07 AM   #48
fundorin
Banned

Why not follow grid settings, then? With optional "grid /2, /4, /8" and "grid x2, x4, x8". Why measures?
Old 01-06-2018, 05:09 AM   #49
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
+ MIDI editor: fix CC lane drawing issues with looped items
Any more information about this point? (The only loop vs CC display bug that I am aware of, is MIDI editor displays bank select incorrectly when item looped.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
+ MIDI: improve pixel accuracy for MIDI peaks in the arrange view
# MIDI: fix peaks view when automatic scaling is disabled [p=1934859]
The new MIDI item display with separated CC lanes is impressive!

The "Automatically scale MIDI notes to fit" option does not appear to have any effect any more, and MIDI items are always drawn as if the option is enabled.

While you are working on CC lanes in the arrange view, please consider adding a function to select visible CC lanes directly in the inline editor.

Last edited by juliansader; 01-06-2018 at 05:14 AM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:14 AM   #50
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

At an overview level, I am very wary of how indiscriminately pushing more and more settings in to preferences is presented as a decision with no downside. Obviously, if you take a step back, that's not true; some users do report finding the volume of preferences to be intimidating, and this can make them wary of altering the preferences at all. Which is a bad thing, and the cure is to be rigorous every time it seems that "just add this one more preference, just this time" is the answer.

With that said, however, in this case I do think a user preference on zoom dependent zooming would be OK

Quote:
Devs, can you make it so that setting this parameter to 0 (or -1) retains the behaviour from pre7 (zoom dependant)?
Quote:
Does it really hurt if it's just an option served via 0 or -1? Doesn't need a new checkbox or anything...
Quote:
what I propose to happen when 0/-1 is entered. 0/-1 would follow just the long barlines, not small ones (in my suggestion), as it were previously.
Quote:
An option wouldn't hurt, especially since it doesn't take an additional checkbox or whatever by using 0 or -1 in that field
Quote:
Hopefully pre9 will have that 0/-1 option for zoom-dependant shading
Quote:
It's absolutely not a mess, to me. I'd hate to lose the way it was in pre7.
Say it once, say it well, and be done. I'm sure you don't mean to appear like you're trying to bully or overwhelm the opinions of other users in the thread, but that is the danger. A plurality of opinion is always worth hearing, so when you've had your say let it stand or fall on the strength of your argument, not on your willingness or ability to repeat it.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:31 AM   #51
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
No. Why? These colours just should be different. Example:
That's fine in the example image you've given, and an appealing idea in principle, but it doubles the difficulties when other factors are brought into play. Reaper is already, in the arrange, using colour (and colour only) to differentiate a great many things. Add in track/item selection, time selection, fades and crossfades, marquee selection, folder ghost waves, text possibly above items, and then all the vast range of elements and screen furniture of a normal session and then background checkerboarding becomes visual noise using up an already stretched RGB spectrum.

The way this could be done would be as a FULL theme-controlled set of colour definitions, and then let the themer wrestle with finding colours that work with every potential setting the user might make, or more likely make a minority-use theme specifically for users who are only going to use it within certain parameters. That would be four new background colours and two new divider colours, and if we're adding things to the themable colours, there are some much more pressing and long-term requirements that I would much rather were addressed.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:32 AM   #52
EvilDragon

I guess I didn't present my argument well...

But Commala did it VERY well! As far as I'm concerned, pre7 was perfect and I would hate to see that shading behavior gone.

I will stop repeating my suggestion then, you do have a point WT. I did not want to appear as bullying
Old 01-06-2018, 05:59 AM   #53
dtr0q

+1 for zoom dependent grid shading.
dtr0q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:05 AM   #54
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
That would be four new background colours and two new divider colours, and if we're adding things to the themable colours, there are some much more pressing and long-term requirements that I would much rather were addressed.
As I said before: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...0&postcount=43
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:12 AM   #55
HighVoltage

Is it normal behavior when rendering a soloed track through the master, that it takes just as much time to render as if all tracks are unsoloed?

I mean it's like Reaper renders all the muted tracks too in the background.

For example if i delete the muted tracks, reaper renders 9x realtime.
If i just solo the track, it renders 1.5x realtime, just like when all the tracks are on.

I would expect reaper to not process the muted track's fx while rendering.

This way it took me 9 times more to export Stems. (i had to go through the master, cause i wanted to print sends too)
HighVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:49 AM   #56
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post
Is it normal behavior when rendering a soloed track through the master, that it takes just as much time to render as if all tracks are unsoloed?
One soloed track != other tracks are muted. You should do Mute other tracks, clicking on that track with Alt(on Windows).
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:51 AM   #57
ovnis

Quote:
is it possible to have "automation lines" like in Midi Editor.. for consistency ?
It's my dream !
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:22 AM   #58
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
It's my dream !
In the past,I shared this wish as well. But ED brought up some good reasons against.
Lines are not the natural representation of controller data. Lines would mean interpolated values,
which don't reflect the real value. Plus, Julian's amazing CC scripts wouldn't work anymore.
So, I'm highly against changing the behavior because this would destroy the existing workflow.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:24 AM   #59
EvilDragon

Also, that request has been there for very long now, nothing happened...

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Plus, Julian's amazing CC scripts wouldn't work anymore.
Well, that's perhaps a too hasty assumption. If CC envelopes were optional, then Julian's scripts would still work...

However, we already do have optional CC envelopes, via ReaControlMIDI. BUT - it would be really great if that plugin were updated so that CCs are sample-accurate, and not ASIO block-size dependant
Old 01-06-2018, 07:43 AM   #60
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundorin View Post
Why not follow grid settings, then? ... Why measures?
IMO Measures is the unit used for song sections and structures and this is what makes more sense to me and my favourite.

Also i wouldn't mind a toggling option: vertical division follow grid,

working like this:

Code:
vertical division follow grid Example 1
---------------------------------------
Settings: 
grid setting is at 4th notes and this option is toggled ON

Result: 
each  4/4 measure would be vertically odd / even divided  in every 1/4 of measure
Code:
vertical division follow  grid  Example 2
-----------------------------------------
Settings: 
grid setting is at 16th notes and this option is toggled ON

Result: 
each  4/4 measure would be odd / even vertically divided in every 1/16 of measure

Code:
vertical division follow  grid  Example 3
-----------------------------------------
Settings: 
grid setting is at 16th notes and this option is toggled OFF

Result: 
the division is made according to: divide arrange view vertically every N measures
Also ,

Quote:
I'd prefer only selected tracks to be visually accentuated horizontally and not that odd/even type of accent.
this is what i prefer too! odd / even in tracks does not make any sense to me

Last edited by deeb; 01-06-2018 at 10:01 AM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:45 AM   #61
ferropop

Quote:
Agree agree agree! This is essential. Seriously, attempting to accurately throw automation items on track 83 of 196, on a 4K screen (Think future-proof, we will all have 4K monitors), is impossible. Have to physically place the mouse on the selected track on the left of the screen, and flyyyyy it horizontally across making sure to hover over the correct track.

Please guys, tinting of selected track(s) (only) gives the MOST information.

Just making sure this doesn't get lost in the shuffle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theFRXST View Post
Perhaps this is an option. Or have it as is and add an option to highlight the tcp lane that is selected

Last edited by ferropop; 01-06-2018 at 07:51 AM.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:12 AM   #62
_Stevie_

Quote:
Also, that request has been there for very long now, nothing happened...

Well, that's perhaps a too hasty assumption. If CC envelopes were optional, then Julian's scripts would still work...

However, we already do have optional CC envelopes, via ReaControlMIDI. BUT - it would be really great if that plugin were updated so that CCs are sample-accurate, and not ASIO block-size dependant
The CC curves in the MIDI Editor are sample accurate, though? AFAIK, Studio One's CC curves are dependent on ASIO latency, as well.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:14 AM   #63
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
The CC curves in the MIDI Editor are sample accurate, though? AFAIK, Studio One's CC curves are dependent on ASIO latency, as well.
They aren't, they are MIDI ticks accurate (according to PPQ preference).
Old 01-06-2018, 08:39 AM   #64
_Stevie_

Hooray!
Old 01-06-2018, 08:46 AM   #65
Sexan

I would LOVE to see "something" like this natively :

outline the boarder of the track in arrange or leave it to the devs wild imagination

This is regarding whole vertical track odd even situation, if OT sorry
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #66
ovnis

Not for me because when FX chain window or MIDI editor window are openeded it could be harder to see where they come from.

Last edited by ovnis; 01-06-2018 at 09:39 AM.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:03 AM   #67
ferropop

We have lots of vertical indicators (playhead, markers, regions) but zero horizontal indicators. The tint-selected-track(s) idea is the best one I've seen. Another would be Crosshairs (key-activated?). The lack of horizontal indicators is a problem, and will only get worse as resolutions increase and track counts go up (both of which are 100% guarantees)
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #68
Luster

I believe that the visual odd/even track distinction wasn't there so you get a clue about some track number but just for better reading of the lines like in other software like TotalCommander e.g.
Actually the current implementation is kind of flawed when you hide tracks, meaning the alternating grey of the "list" doesn't work anymore.
Anyway, the other suggestions above like highlighting just selected tracks IMHO are also interesting.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:42 AM   #69
fundorin
Banned

While we're on a track highlighting tracks subject, I would like to see current selected tracks bank (on control surface) to be marked in MCP.
For now, we can see currently selected tracks, marked with vertical bars like | 4 | :

It would be great to see tracks, that are currently in bank, marked with bold numbers, underscores or any other visual way, so that user would always be aware, which tracks he's controlling now via control surface.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:43 AM   #70
heda

I never needed the odd/even horizontal division. but vertical division as it is now in pre8, without the horizontal division is perfect for me.

An idea to further improve vertical divisions shading: add color-tint the arrange background with the color of regions. Amount of tinting should be adjustable. So odd/even would be nice to visually see the measures, and colors to see larger parts of the songs, etc.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #71
hopi

sorry to be so dumb, but what is the setting in the theme tweaker that controls the amount of shading or the color for the vertical changes?

PS I used to use the odd\even tracks shading but gave it up... just like it better without that shading for me
Old 01-06-2018, 10:26 AM   #72
EvilDragon

Vertical shading uses the odd/even track background colors.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:07 AM   #73
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
I would LOVE to see "something" like this natively :

outline the boarder of the track in arrange or leave it to the devs wild imagination

This is regarding whole vertical track odd even situation, if OT sorry
How that would distinguish from already selected tracks? if just left border of TCP or something more subtil could change color like in your example probably this could be a nice add on
Old 01-06-2018, 11:11 AM   #74
dupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by inarisound View Post
I totally agree with ED on this one... it should at least stay as an option to be zoom dependent. (talking about grid division)

p.s

I posted example 4 months ago about it....
Before:

After:
I also requested for this. It will be easier to edit controler datas this way.
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #75
Sexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
How that would distinguish from already selected tracks? if just left border of TCP or something more subtil could change color like in your example probably this could be a nice add on
I've sayed something like that, like this:

OR something else, but the point was to be highlighted when mouse over
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:22 AM   #76
deeb

right! thanks
Old 01-06-2018, 11:48 AM   #77
vanhaze

Quote:
Is it possible to add dotted lines for regions/markers, the same way, as for grid lines, so they won't be displayed so obviously?

Reaper Preferences > Appearance.

- Uncheck "project regions/markers in grid"

Or:

- Keep "project regions/markers in grid" checked and then choose:
- Marker line Z order "Under Items"

AFAIK: You can't have dotted Marker lines in Arrange View.
Maybe possible through a Theme hack .. dunno.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:06 PM   #78
david0

The linux x86_64 version is missing. I hope we will see that again in some days :-)
david0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #79
WyattRice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattRice View Post
Possible graphic glitch. Doesn't do this in 5.70.

This is still happening, and might be a bug?

To Reproduce.

1. Open Reaper
2. Set ruler to mins, secs, frames. I have mine set to 75 for cd frames.
3. Move the edit cursor to around 2 minutes 30 seconds
4. Zoom in until you see the frames close up e.g. 2:30.01, 2:30.02
5. Make a time selection, and I get the results in the above gif.

If I push the rewind on the transport, and go to 0 minutes, It's smooth, and, no lag works correctly. After going to 0 mins and doing this, when I go back to 2 mins or so, It works.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:59 PM   #80
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Reaper Preferences > Appearance.
- Uncheck "project regions/markers in grid"
I've asked for a dotted lines, which is quite opposite of getting rid of them completely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
- Keep "project regions/markers in grid" checked and then choose:
- Marker line Z order "Under Items"

I also made a screenshot, so it could be seen, that region lines are most distracting in the areas, where there's no items at all.