Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 02-04-2016, 09:57 PM   #1
snatchman
Human being with feelings

Default Moving To Windows 7..?

Hello..I'm using Windows XP-32 bit and I'm contemplating moving to Win 7 since it seems all new plugs/interfaces have moved on also..I have my original version of Reaper 32 bits ( v3)using it basically as an analog recorder with as little editing/technicality as possible ( yea, that old). I was wondering what am I to expect as far as screen changes,etc.that will greatly cause me to lose workflow and have to go "back to school" before I can continue making music bare minimal as before..?..Thanks..
snatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:01 PM   #2
TheWhistler

Changes in terms of "how will my os look"?
I would at least suggest to move on to win8.1.
You might not care about things like support cycles, but win7 mainstream support is already over.

You can tweak the look of win7 and win8 to almost look like winxp.
DL classic shell and you get all of what you need.
I suppose, you have a computer that is sufficient for win7/8/10.

The most important thing might be 64Bit support for plugins.
But if you only want to edit as less as possible -> no FX.
You may not profit that much?
Old 02-05-2016, 12:01 AM   #3
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhistler View Post
You might not care about things like support cycles, but win7 mainstream support is already over.

Hello..Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have a capable 'puter of Windows 7..As stated, I'm not that big of an " editor" so I use Reaper/'puter basically as a ole' analog recorder ( on steroids (lol) )..Try to keep it simple as I dib and dab into some little automation every now/then. I appreciate the Reaper medium tho' as I couldn't get the sounds I'm getting on an older consumer set up.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:02 AM   #4
Xenakios

Quote:
Windows 7 64 bit of course runs the 32 bit version of Reaper also, along with 32 bit plugins.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:05 AM   #5
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Windows 7 64 bit of course runs the 32 bit version of Reaper also, along with 32 bit plugins.
Thanks for your reply. So, does Reaper automatically recognize the 32 bit vst plugs if I switch to 64 bit.?
Old 02-05-2016, 12:36 AM   #6
PitchSlap

Windows 7 is great.

All around better than XP (and not a super hard transition).

If you really want to just update and get it over with, Windows 10 is also a good OS (8 is shite), and you can configure it to mostly behave like Windows 7.

MS is already starting to automatically install updates on Win7/8 machines and is stopping support to really push people onto 10. Perhaps just consider biting the bullet, then you'll be on a modern OS that should be compatible with current programs for years. If you do go with 7, I'd install all critical updates (making sure to avoid the Win 10 upgrade) then make sure updates are turned off.

And probably a bit advanced, but if you install Windows 10 LTSB edition you will avoid a lot of the bloat and do away with forced updates leaving you in peace indefinitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatchman View Post
Thanks for your reply. So, does Reaper automatically recognize the 32 bit vst plugs if I switch to 64 bit.?
Yes. Just highlight all the x86 plugs, right click and turn on embedded GUI for a more seamless experience. If any plugins give you trouble with bridging, turn the embedding off.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:15 AM   #7
kenz

Quote:
Like Xenakios said, you can use 32-bit Reaper and you won't need any bridges, if that gives you problems. In fact it may be more efficient for your needs since it's unlikely you'll get over the limit with what you need Reaper for.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:19 AM   #8
NAD

Honestly if I were you I would just skip straight to 10.
NAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:31 AM   #9
LightOfDay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAD View Post
Honestly if I were you I would just skip straight to 10.
that. ^^^^

whats the point of worrying about an old OS? and after Win 10 there will be no 11, 12, 13... Win 10 will be updated as an OS as it should be and not be replaced every 2 years by "new versions". now its evolution and not selling OSs again and again.

btw: I think, that maybe you can do an in-place update from XP to 10. I believe hat was possible from XP on if I am not mistaken. so you dont need a clean install.
LightOfDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:50 AM   #10
Stews

Is it true that Windows 10 downloads updates automatically and you can't choose this to be manual?

That's what's putting me off upgrading; I don't want to be playing an online game, for example, then suddenly my connection gets taken up by updates being downloaded
Stews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:02 AM   #11
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stews View Post
Is it true that Windows 10 downloads updates automatically and you can't choose this to be manual?

That's what's putting me off upgrading; I don't want to be playing an online game, for example, then suddenly my connection gets taken up by updates being downloaded
Firstly nothing updates until you restart, updates aren't automatic in that sense. I expect you know that from the way you phrase the question though.

I don't really game anymore but I cannot say I detect any slowdown when the PC is downloading updates, even with my prehistoric connection.
I have a whopping 2.5mb connection! (no likely foreseeable option for fibre, and 0.5mb too fast for subsidised satellite -which would be crap for gaming anyway) so for anyone with an average or better connection I doubt it would make much difference. I think they must have traffic prioritisation pretty well sewn up.

With Win 7 Pro you can defer installing updates, but I don't think you can defer downloading them.

Why don't you try it for a month and just revert to 7 if you don't like it.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:30 AM   #12
Mind Riot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
With Win 7 Pro you can defer installing updates, but I don't think you can defer downloading them.
I'm running Win 7 Pro, and as far as the settings tell me I can defer both downloading and installing. Whether or not MS actually gives me that control is another matter.

I really like 7 and only upgraded to it from XP about three or so years ago. I've got my setup running really, really well and I don't want to screw with it unless I'm forced to, which it seems like MS is eventually going to do to everyone.
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:44 AM   #13
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Riot View Post
I'm running Win 7 Pro, and as far as the settings tell me I can defer both downloading and installing. Whether or not MS actually gives me that control is another matter. .
I was being lazy not googling that, or checking on the Pro machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Riot View Post
I really like 7 and only upgraded to it from XP about three or so years ago. I've got my setup running really, really well and I don't want to screw with it unless I'm forced to, which it seems like MS is eventually going to do to everyone.
I was in exactly the same position. If you feel that strongly don't do it.
I don't think I had a single BSOD with Win7.
I have had one BSOD with Win 10 already; nothing came of it though and with SSD the machine rebooted immediately, no hassle, no new faults.
Other than that single BSOD nothing has crashed yet and all DAW stuff works exactly as before.

The update was quick and easy (on this machine) and reverting to 7 (previously) was easy too.

OTOH I wouldn't want to end up like one of those XP diehards finding my machine becoming incrementally incompatible and having a much more awkward transition later on.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:45 AM   #14
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Sorry if I was not clear. But the 64 bit is an advantage in general.
More RAM accessible and so on.

I never had problems with bridged plugins, though.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:49 AM   #15
TheWhistler

I personally updated to Win7 3 years ago.
I combined it with the a SSD for my system.
Huge difference, even on my older pc which was a E 8400 Core2Duo.
Win7 itself is as comfortable as XP was, after I installed ClassicShell.

But do a lot of VSTi and Midi stuff. Only for recording, I mean...if it serves you well....
Old 02-05-2016, 06:52 AM   #16
TheWhistler

@Pitchslap. I noticed the Core i7-5700HQ in your signature. Is this on a notebook?
May I ask which brand it is and how it performs?
Old 02-05-2016, 07:53 AM   #17
noise_construct

Quote:

The downloads don't "take a connection", they use a very limited amount of available bandwidth (not because they love their customers, but because they skimp on their own bandwidth).
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:11 AM   #18
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise_construct View Post
The downloads don't "take a connection", they use a very limited amount of available bandwidth (not because they love their customers, but because they skimp on their own bandwidth).
Possibly true, we'll never know. Maybe something to do with the hundreds of millions of simultaneous users too, who knows. However they clearly give you a clear road, roll out the red carpet when you download Win10. It was relatively quick and painless with my 2.5mb connection.

Maybe the Pied Piper offered me some sweets too?, I cannot remember.

Unlike the Hotel California you can leave.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #19
kenz

Quote:
Sorry if I was not clear. But the 64 bit is an advantage in general.
More RAM accessible and so on.
The OP said "using it basically as an analog recorder with as little editing/technicality as possible ( yea, that old)". It won't have any advantage at all for his use case.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #20
Stews

Quote:
Firstly nothing updates until you restart, updates aren't automatic in that sense. I expect you know that from the way you phrase the question though.
Aye it's the actual downloading rather than the installing that I'm bothered about.

Quote:

Why don't you try it for a month and just revert to 7 if you don't like it.
I defer the downloading of updates on Win 7, it just notifies me and I download them manually (not had any for a while though come to think of it...)

Trying Win 10 would be the sensible thing to do but I'm the guy who's put off buying an SSD for about 2 years now cause I can't be bothered reinstalling/setting up everything lol
Old 02-05-2016, 10:47 AM   #21
Stews

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise_construct View Post
I have a similarly slow connection to Softsynth and if I'm playing FIFA and any other downloading takes place, it goes slow enough to interfere with the game.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #22
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:

snatchman, I would NEVER in a million years ever use or ever advise using Win 8 or the "fixed" 8.1. It's worse than their previous failed OS'es, such as Windows Vista.

I am still using very happily Windows 7. Never the slightest issue with REAPER or a zillion plugins. I love 7. It works flawlessly for me, no matter using 32-bit or 64-bit. (I'm still using plugins and DAWs in 32-bit but may go to full 64-bit in a year or two.) I'm sticking with Win 7 until at least 2020 when Microsoft claims it will end official support for Win 7. May even stay on after that. Win 10 is not horrible completely, in my own personal opinion, but I never buy the first year model issue of any new car either. And 10 HAS had its problems so far, but may be getting things smoothed out with third-party drivers and this annoying ongoing forced updates. Lately, MS has been pushing hard to force the 10 install on all users it can reach who have still 8.1 installed. Best Wishes ... you've been warned.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:25 PM   #23
snatchman

Quote:
I personally updated to Win7 3 years ago.
I combined it with the a SSD for my system.
Huge difference, even on my older pc which was a E 8400 Core2Duo.
Win7 itself is as comfortable as XP was, after I installed ClassicShell.

But do a lot of VSTi and Midi stuff. Only for recording, I mean...if it serves you well....
Hello..Thanks.. I'm running a T-3400 dual core so I think this is the way I may wanna go. When they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, you can teach me, but I have to learn it over and over again.! (lol)
Old 02-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #24
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz View Post
The OP said "using it basically as an analog recorder with as little editing/technicality as possible ( yea, that old)". It won't have any advantage at all for his use case.
Hello..I'm the OP and when I said " yea, that old ", I wasn't talking about the computer, I was talking about me..!(lol)
Old 02-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #25
Geoff-h3o

Default Win 10 for me!

Having used win 2000, xp, 7,8,8-1 and 10, I really like 10 the most. I use my main music pc online at times and do regular os image backups (with the free Aomie backupper) so if I don't like how things are behaving I'm always able to revert to a previous state, which I've done a few times with no problem. I've upgraded 4 pcs to win 10 from 7 and 8 and reverted two because of driver issues - which may well have been resolved by now; but as long as the drivers are ok and I dis-able ad id and cortana etc 10 is great.
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:37 PM   #26
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz View Post
Like Xenakios said, you can use 32-bit Reaper and you won't need any bridges, if that gives you problems. In fact it may be more efficient for your needs since it's unlikely you'll get over the limit with what you need Reaper for.
Hello..So you are saying I can continue to use Reaper 32 bit but just install Win7 64 OS..? I guess I really want to take advantage of being able to gain more RAM is another reason for wanting to upgrade other than being able to be compatible with most newer interfaces.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:39 PM   #27
snatchman

Someone have a screen shot of Reaper on Win 10..?
Old 02-05-2016, 12:52 PM   #28
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
Someone have a screen shot of Reaper on Win 10..?
I suggest Google. You'll find a few decent looks at it. MS's own site isn't great for 10 pics.

Forgot to say, I liked XP just fine before 7. It is super easy to go XP to 7. Many similarities, 7 just more modern looking version of XP sort of.

Almost any Core 2 Duo is outdated now. They are for your emails at the coffee shop. A good quad is required for the best audio DSP these days. If you have that, you'll have no issues. I've tested 10 and it really wasn't any better/faster than 7 on a good quad from what I saw.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:32 PM   #29
TheWhistler

Quote:
Hello..So you are saying I can continue to use Reaper 32 bit but just install Win7 64 OS..? I guess I really want to take advantage of being able to gain more RAM is another reason for wanting to upgrade other than being able to be compatible with most newer interfaces.
I am using REAPER x64 with near to no problems on win7 in terms of compatibility to x32 plugins.
But in your case (only recording) should not be any issue.
I never said you should not use win7, so in that case the telenator did misunderstand me.
I just wanted to point at win7 is going to be outdated in 2020 (end of extended support).
Any other (later os) will have longer support.
You might want to update to a system that is not outdated so soon.
I have win 8.1 running on a Laptop. Works fine so far.
As I have said. Use ClassicShell and you can nearly make it looking and behaving like 98SE
Old 02-05-2016, 01:46 PM   #30
The Telenator
Banned

TheWhistler: "I never said you should not use win7, so in that case the telenator did misunderstand me."

I didn't find you saying that anywhere. But you were suggesting using 8.1 where you not? And even Microsoft wants that OS version GONE ... This is why they jump past 9, in fact ... to get past ... away from the mistake that was 8.

But you ARE wrong in one of your last remarks: You said "win7 mainstream support is already over", which is completely untrue. Legally and by their own words they must now support Windows 7 until 2020, much like how an automobile manufacturer must carry parts and service for discontinued car models (by law 15 years in the States, I believe).
Old 02-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #31
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
But you ARE wrong in one of your last remarks: You said "win7 mainstream support is already over", which is completely untrue. Legally and by their own words they must now support Windows 7 until 2020, much like how an automobile manufacturer must carry parts and service for discontinued car models (by law 15 years in the States, I believe).
I donīt to start a you said this, I said that game.

You may want to take a look at this information provided by Microsoft.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ha=windows%207

Mainstream support is already over (ended in january 2015). This does not mean that it is not supported anymore.
It is until 2020 with the extended support.

That is what I was pointing to. Win7 is a very good OS.
I use it on my main DAW-machine.

8.1 works fine on my laptop, have no issues (not more than on win7).

I donīt know what MS wants or not. I can just give my personal experience to the snatchman (which is an interesting nick)
Old 02-05-2016, 02:46 PM   #32
snatchman

Quote:
I donīt to start a you said this, I said that game.

You may want to take a look at this information provided by Microsoft.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ha=windows%207

Mainstream support is already over (ended in january 2015). This does not mean that it is not supported anymore.
It is until 2020 with the extended support.

That is what I was pointing to. Win7 is a very good OS.
I use it on my main DAW-machine.

8.1 works fine on my laptop, have no issues (not more than on win7).

I donīt know what MS wants or not. I can just give my personal experience to the snatchman (which is an interesting nick)
Yeah,nickname not what you're thinking tho' (lol)..If I can get 4 or 5 more years out of Win 7, I'll be fine. That's a long time considering the way people are dying now.At my age, in 4/5 years I'll be good if I can remember how to turn my computer on..! Plus, If I haven't wrote a hit song by then, What can I say....(lol)
Old 02-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #33
TheWhistler

Quote:
Yeah,nickname not what you're thinking tho' (lol)..If I can get 4 or 5 more years out of Win 7, I'll be fine. That's a long time considering the way people are dying now.At my age, in 4/5 years I'll be good if I can remember how to turn my computer on..! Plus, If I haven't wrote a hit song by then, What can I say....(lol)
Yeah, nick is about weight-lifting, right?
Old 02-05-2016, 07:25 PM   #34
PitchSlap

Quote:

There's no way to turn them off in Windows itself, but you can use a utility that disables it. I'm pretty sure it just patches the host file so the update server can't be contacted.

I keep it disabled, then enable to install updates periodically when I want.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:03 AM   #35
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
There's no way to turn them off in Windows itself, but you can use a utility that disables it. I'm pretty sure it just patches the host file so the update server can't be contacted.

I keep it disabled, then enable to install updates periodically when I want.
Dear Pitchslap, may I ask you if the cpu in your signature is installed into a notebook and how it performs.
Would really be interested because considering to buy one.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:29 AM   #36
Mind Riot

Quote:
I was in exactly the same position. If you feel that strongly don't do it.
I don't think I had a single BSOD with Win7.
I have had one BSOD with Win 10 already; nothing came of it though and with SSD the machine rebooted immediately, no hassle, no new faults.
Other than that single BSOD nothing has crashed yet and all DAW stuff works exactly as before.

The update was quick and easy (on this machine) and reverting to 7 (previously) was easy too.

OTOH I wouldn't want to end up like one of those XP diehards finding my machine becoming incrementally incompatible and having a much more awkward transition later on.
I won't until I'm forced; I just worry that day will come sooner than I expected.

I didn't abandon XP until support for it ended, but once I was on 7 I wished I have done it sooner. Seems like I spend less time mucking about with tweaks and registry settings and whatnot and more time just working on music.
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:50 AM   #37
kenz

Quote:
Sure you can. In fact you can even install both 32-bit and 64-bit Reaper as portable with no worries, if something just doesn't work for whatever bizarre reason etc...

32-bit Reaper should be able to address 3GB or so of RAM for each instance (if it's Large Address Aware, not sure about it). If you have other 32-bit stuff open at the same time they will not interfere with Reaper's limit at all. So for example, if you have say 32GB of RAM and 64-bit Win7, you can launch 10 32-bit Reaper instances each using 3GB (so you use up 30GB). Of course there's no reason for you to do that: this is just an example so you understand how it works.

So in the end you can always just install 32-bit Reaper as portable (thus not interfering with your others, all files will be under one directory) alongside if you don't want to use bridges, and launch it when needed. Somehow I doubt you'll even get close to using 1.5GB for your use-case here, though. (I'm talking about Reaper obviously, like I said every application instance is completely separate from another)
Old 02-06-2016, 05:56 AM   #38
PitchSlap

Quote:
Dear Pitchslap, may I ask you if the cpu in your signature is installed into a notebook and how it performs.
Would really be interested because considering to buy one.
It's laptop made by MSI, the Stealth GS70-2QC to be precise. It performs quite well and I'm very happy so far. I just got it around boxing day since it was $300 off (and my Dell laptop had just turned 8). I haven't pushed it to it's limits yet, but it's certainly more powerful that my desktop (SSD makes a nice difference too).

I went for a "gaming laptop" even though I don't play games, as they generally have the best specs. Price, performance, and features considered, MSI seemed to be way to go (though ASUS ROG is worth a look).

I also purposely went for the i7-5700HQ over the newer i7-6700HQ as it has better performance (~10-15%), though it's lacking a few improvements on the newest chipset.

Hopefully that helps!

Last edited by PitchSlap; 02-06-2016 at 06:04 AM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:18 AM   #39
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
It's laptop made by MSI, the Stealth GS70-2QC to be precise. It performs quite well and I'm very happy so far. I just got it around boxing day since it was $300 off (and my Dell laptop had just turned 8). I haven't pushed it to it's limits yet, but it's certainly more powerful that my desktop (SSD makes a nice difference too).

I went for a "gaming laptop" even though I don't play games, as they generally have the best specs. Price, performance, and features considered, MSI seemed to be way to go (though ASUS ROG is worth a look).

I also purposely went for the i7-5700HQ over the newer i7-6700HQ as it has better performance (~10-15%), though it's lacking a few improvements on the newest chipset.

Hopefully that helps!
Thank you very much for this reply.
I am excited to hear you have bought a MSI, because I am eying on one for about half a year now.
Could not decide yet.

The cheaper MSI gaming machines arenīt that good for gaming, but have dedicated graphic card with itīs own RAM.
I was just curious if they perform well (DPC-latency, fan noise and stuff)
To hear about you being satisfied is really encouraging me to buy one.

They are about 900,- € atm at my place....

How is it about fan noise? I know it is not an optimized desktop, but is it ok?
Old 02-06-2016, 12:07 PM   #40
PitchSlap

Quote:
Thank you very much for this reply.
I am excited to hear you have bought a MSI, because I am eying on one for about half a year now.
Could not decide yet.

The cheaper MSI gaming machines arenīt that good for gaming, but have dedicated graphic card with itīs own RAM.
I was just curious if they perform well (DPC-latency, fan noise and stuff)
To hear about you being satisfied is really encouraging me to buy one.

They are about 900,- € atm at my place....

How is it about fan noise? I know it is not an optimized desktop, but is it ok?
I'd assume most laptops would perform roughly similar with the same specs. I think a lot of issues can come when building your own machine, or when a company offers too much customization for everything to be rock-solid. Again, it's too early to say I won't have any issues, but I can't imagine the company designing these machines for performance, making thousands of the same one only for them to suck.

In regular usage it's pretty quiet, though there have been a few times when the fans were going full blast and it did seem a bit loud. From what I understand it's louder than some comparable laptops, quieter than others. But with a powerful CPU/GPU they'll always be some noise and heat.

On the plus side. I highly doubt audio will tax the video card nearly as much as gaming, which means less heat, and less need for the fans, You can also use just the onboard graphics, and turn off the turbo-boost etc. SSD, and having a bit bigger screen will help with cooling/noise too.

Last edited by PitchSlap; 02-06-2016 at 12:14 PM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote