# MIDI editor: event properties dialog affects all editable MIDI source items
# MIDI editor: fix CC curve interpolation with large block sizes
# MIDI editor: only output interpolated CC messages if the value has changed
# mixer: update layouts in response to selection/record arm change
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:35 PM   #2
swiiscompos
Human being with feelings

Right-clicking on a CC event when the edit cursor is close to it deletes it when it should open the contextual menu.
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:55 PM   #3
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiiscompos View Post
Right-clicking on a CC event when the edit cursor is close to it deletes it when it should open the contextual menu.
Options > Preferences > Mouse Modifiers > MIDI CC events > disable RIght-click deletes CC events.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:18 PM   #4
FnA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
# MIDI editor: event properties dialog affects all editable MIDI source items
Cool.

Here's an example of undo that I think is not quite right.

0:00 to 0:04 - Setting some note lengths to 1/16
0:06 - Drag down 1 semitone
0:09 to end - Undo, Redo, Undo. The step where length is set is skipped here going either way. Not given it's own undo point.

It behaves similar setting velocity, channel, cc stuff, etc.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:34 PM   #5
swiiscompos

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Options > Preferences > Mouse Modifiers > MIDI CC events > disable RIght-click deletes CC events.
Got it, I was looking in the drop down menu and couldn't find the right click.

Now, I understand why this option existed and why it was by default, but with the new CC possibilities most users will want to use the contextual menu. Therefore, I think it should be off by default and you might even consider removing the option (after all alt-click is already a standard mouse modifier to delete events).
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:44 PM   #6
EvilDragon

FL Studio refugees would not like removing of that option
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:51 PM   #7
mabian

Apologies if this behaviour is not new to current version, I just noticed it.

If I set (in MIDI editor quantize dialog) the grid mode to "swing" also setting a swing value, the next time I reopen the quantize dialog it's set to "straight" instead of "swing" (the swing value still seem set and remains editable though).

I find it a bit odd, not completely right imo.

Thanks,
Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:45 AM   #8
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
FL Studio refugees would not like removing of that option
WORD!
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:05 AM   #9
EvilDragon

Not sure how old this is, but this behavior cannot be right:

In MIDI editor, when using mouse modifier for MIDI note left drag, "Stretch note positions ignoring snap (arpeggiate)", it selects all notes in the active MIDI item. It should ONLY ever work on currently selected notes. Even if you had some notes selected, it will expand selection to the whole MIDI item.

This is absolutely not good.

EDIT: Seems to happen when using Shift+Alt combination for that modifier. Works fine when using Ctrl+Alt, say. Weird!

Last edited by EvilDragon; 09-04-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:42 AM   #10
srdmusic

Default Convert all MIDI items to linear shape CC envelops

Have you guys found an option to change all selected MIDI items CC Data to linear shape instead of the default square?

I'm waiting until Julian updates his nifty CC scripts to allow for shapes other than square so it would be really great if I didn't have to manually convert each item one at a time.

Thoughts?
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:03 AM   #11
EvilDragon

If you set all MIDI items as editable it should work on all selected CCs.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:09 AM   #12
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
If you set all MIDI items as editable it should work on all selected CCs.
After testing, it seems the action only works on the active take. I have data written in three items, all items are set to editable. I have them all open and selected in one midi editor window.

Maybe we need a script of some kind to do this?
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:28 AM   #13
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdmusic View Post
After testing, it seems the action only works on the active take. I have data written in three items, all items are set to editable. I have them all open and selected in one midi editor window.
ah, the old "active take" issue rears its ugly head again. add this one to the list of actions that cannot be reliably trusted to operate as described (just like "Select all notes with the same pitch" -- only applies to "active" take .... vs "Select all events," which does what it says).

these issues prevent me from creating a reliable action based workflow for editing simple midi patterns split into multiple items on a track.
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:44 AM   #14
mccrabney

(if we're testing this yet) issue: cc drawn across item bounds results in a broken curve/connection between adjacent points. desired behavior: the earlier cc envelope point should look at next cc envelope point for reference in order to draw connecting line.

-

i really like how you've incorporated tying ccs to notes so the user can move both at the same time. i'd think this would be disabled by default, but that's unimportant
Old 09-04-2019, 12:16 PM   #15
mccrabney

the issue in this post uses as illustration a common use case for, say, a bassline: an item ends with a pitchbend slide down, and returns to 0 for the next note.

as often is the case in pattern based music, this occurs over the span of 2 items for ease of duplication.

if a user drags the note/associated pitchbend curve at the end of item 1 "into" * item 2, it extends item 1 and drops a pitchbend point. this is merely visual - it doesn't actually override the pitchbend return event that occurs in item 2 (and you can test this by gluing the items together).

however, it's highly misleading, and indicative of a problem with overlapping midi items in the context of what is an essentially monophonic parameter -- it'll only ever respond to the last pitchbend message received, so why bother drawing it?

but digging deeper past the graphics of it, it seems backwards to accommodate playing back multiple, overlapping cc curves in this fashion, especially when it gets in the way of more primary application - dragging a cc from time A to time B irrespective of item.

which brings me to my *: i would expect that clicking/dragging a midi note/associated data from item 1 "into" item 2 would actually move the data into item 2, rather than simply extending the bounds of item 1.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:05 PM   #16
EvilDragon

Some great points there, our resident crab!
Old 09-04-2019, 11:04 PM   #17
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
the issue in this post uses as illustration a common use case for, say, a bassline: an item ends with a pitchbend slide down, and returns to 0 for the next note.

as often is the case in pattern based music, this occurs over the span of 2 items for ease of duplication.

if a user drags the note/associated pitchbend curve at the end of item 1 "into" * item 2, it extends item 1 and drops a pitchbend point. this is merely visual - it doesn't actually override the pitchbend return event that occurs in item 2 (and you can test this by gluing the items together).

however, it's highly misleading, and indicative of a problem with overlapping midi items in the context of what is an essentially monophonic parameter -- it'll only ever respond to the last pitchbend message received, so why bother drawing it?

but digging deeper past the graphics of it, it seems backwards to accommodate playing back multiple, overlapping cc curves in this fashion, especially when it gets in the way of more primary application - dragging a cc from time A to time B irrespective of item.

which brings me to my *: i would expect that clicking/dragging a midi note/associated data from item 1 "into" item 2 would actually move the data into item 2, rather than simply extending the bounds of item 1.
Well spotted! I recall this b3ing a perennial issue on several of the old sequencers I used back at the dawn of MIDI history.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:15 AM   #18
DANIELE

May I propose to add a "Showing values in CC lanes envelopes" option like logic does?

It could be useful in many scenarios.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:38 AM   #19
dangguidan

The previous MIDI export problem has been fixed. Thank you!
Will there be new API functions to set or Get CC shape information in the future?
dangguidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #20
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Well spotted! I recall this b3ing a perennial issue on several of the old sequencers I used back at the dawn of MIDI history.
really? i haven't encountered it in anything other than REAPER (and now Ableton, too, which doesn't handle pickups well either). i've mentioned this before, but you know what handled this really well? JJos software for MPC1000/2500 series.

midi note start/end data was stored in the item (called "sequence") in a way that allowed a note to end beyond the item's bounds. this made for easy moving of items while preserving pickups/chords that roll into the next item.

for example: imagine this image represents a 2 bar loop item. observe the last note: its noteoff occurs after the end of the 2nd bar. in REAPER, if you wanted to move this section, you'd end up with that note getting split. in JJos, if you move the item, the note moves with the item in which it originated.

Last edited by mccrabney; 09-05-2019 at 08:56 AM.