Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-24-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
yofi
Human being with feelings

Default Wanted! genuine reviews of video course teaching 48 piano chords in an hour

I've been working on a site for teaching piano chords for people who don't read music - it teaches using shapes and patterns and can deliver 48 chords to your fingertips in under an hour. If you've got a midi keyboard but don't really know how to use it this could really open up your world.

I want some more genuine reviews for the site as that helps convince others to buy it - It's not expensive anyway - just $39 but to get some reviews I'm giving it away free here

Piano video course

If you like it and get something out of it then please feel free to link to the paid course on other sites - that would be nice. I've already had about 20 really positive reviews - if you like it then please leave reviews on the site, thank you in advance

here a few things people have said.

I've spent a fortune on keyboard lessons for the kids over the years, but have never been able to play the keyboard myself. I struggled to remember different chords and always thought it would be too much effort to learn, even though I do play other instruments. Well, I am just blown away by this. This is such an easy system for working out which notes to play in chords. I am kicking myself that I did not know this sooner. I would have been playing for years by now if I'd realised how easy it would be. I am confident I could sit down at a keyboard and play any of the 48 chords covered, instantly without needing to refer to these videos, now I know the system. If you'd love to learn to play the keyboard or piano, this is for you. You will be playing all of your favourite songs in no time at all, after completing this course.

Making something that appears extremely complicated into something simple and understandable is an art. This course is the first I have ever done that had me hooked from the first minute and Simon is a superb instructor.

I cannot recommend this highly enough.

Please remember to leave feedback and if you like it as much as these guys link to the course

Cheers

Simon
Old 04-24-2015, 03:50 PM   #2
whiteaxxxe
Banned

I will have a look.

if you can teach me to play at least a little bit piano you are really good ...
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:20 PM   #3
morgon

Default For guitar players...

Now that the audio to midi thing is polyphonic and reasonable accurate it would help to see in real time guitar chords visually represented on a piano roll as theyre played so you could fly your entire gtr chord knowledge to keyboard visual and just watch while playing, seems a relatively painless way to learn.

I realize keyboard chord voicings are often more comprehensive, more notes and in physically impossible gtr positions but the basics would be quick bc its what you already do but directly translated to keyb.

Maybe thats possible already using a virtual keyb and audio to midi?
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:39 PM   #4
jazzmandan

OK, I learned something new in the first couple minutes. That can't be a bad thing...
"significantly better than bad..." - Dell XPS i7, 16G Ram, Win 10 64Bit, REAPER 64Bit, MOTU Audio Express, PG Music - BIAB 2020, Kontakt 5, more VSTs than I know what to do with. Will trade all to play the guitar and keys better!
jazzmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:25 PM   #5
foxAsteria

i skimmed through. i do think the recorded audio parts are too quiet in the earlier videos. can you compress them?

i like the way you start at A as a reference instead of C. it's much easier to spot. finding C can be a bit more confusing to the eye because there are 2 different places where there are a pair of white keys. also confusing to "count" from G to A. did you mention that bit at all?

i think it's a bad habit not to use your right thumb though. don't pass that on.

i already know my way around the piano a bit, so building major and minor chords was something i had always done by ear. those little tips help me a lot actually.

i'd suggest explaining the intervals a bit. just showing how dissonant two consecutive notes sound together and talking about the idea that certain distances between notes sound better than others is something easily demonstrated by comparison and goes a long way to explaining why chords are built the way they are.

thanks!

Last edited by foxAsteria; 04-24-2015 at 11:22 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:26 PM   #6
ReaperMadness

Sorry, I'd like to help you out, but I can't. I know my chords.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:50 AM   #7
yofi

Thanks guys appreciate the time, anyone else want to give it a go?

If you do and you like it please leave a review on the Udemy site it helps a lot

Cheers
Old 04-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #8
Fergler

Personally I thought the approach was overly childish at the start, I have no idea the demographics of your visitors so maybe you had that in mind. An example is how long you took just counting to 4 with the audience.

You also have to be careful saying things like 'triangle shape' because that doesn't work for example on C#maj

I think though it is pretty good but if I had any experience at all I think $39 may feel a bit much for the whole course, so in my opinion your target demographic is small. Anyone who has played any other polyphonic instrument at all could have the first 7 videos condensed into one for the same effect.

Just my opinion though, I play piano and I have seen these same shapes you reference and the patterns associated with them so I understand where you are coming from with the approach. Personally I think it is a bad idea to skip scales and theory though at this early stage. It can be really hard to break habits of shape-reading instead of interpreting the music - and imo good habits are made early.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:01 PM   #9
henry the horse

I followed this up through part 9, and it was actually pretty useful. I know what a major, minor, and 7th chord are supposed to sound like, but I have trouble finding all the right notes on the keyboard quickly enough. Thinking about it as different shapes that can be moved around does seem to help me.

I have no idea if this will improve my playing, but you've given me some stuff to work with.

A few issues I noticed:

In the title card for section 5: "even more song's you can play!" -- there shouldn't be an apostrophe in "songs".

Lecture 7 has a weird sound issue. Your voice and the piano sound half a step higher. I had to tune up to play along!

Your voice was a bit quiet on the first video, but it got better on the next one.

Anyway, I hope this was helpful. I'm going to finish the last couple of videos and spend some time practicing. Thank you for sharing this.
henry the horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:11 PM   #10
ivansc

weird - someone already signed up as me!

As far as I know it really wasn't me!

Maybe I have finally started on the road to senile decay....
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:25 AM   #11
Gerry

I did this course a while back, so easy and it works. Lots to gain and absolutely nothing to lose. No brainer. Got me using the black keys so it must be good LOL