Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #41
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

I think you don't need to Ctrl+drag the io button, I get exactly the same thing just by simply dragging it, or am I missing something?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #42
plamuk

this is how i do it, w/ the slight variation of kontakt on 1 track, inputing midi from multiple midi tracks and outputting audio to multiple audio tracks. multiple instances of kontakt waste CPU and take longer to open if you close the GUI.

also, worth noting that having tracks both send a midi channel and receive audio from something like kontakt isn't preferable if fx plugins you use don't allow midi thru for some reason. it'll eat your midi signal. fyi, this wouldn't be a problem if reaper's fx midi routing was modular.

another heavy midi user / not looper here...
i've been finding reaper's midi editor quite nice for touch ups/post recording edits lately...using it much more heavily than i used to.
likewise with automation, there's been a LOT of improvement since the last time i tried it.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:17 AM   #43
airon

There is also the command
"Build 16 channels of MIDI routing to this track"
found in the right-click dropdown menu of the FX Chain view, which you'll get by clicking on the FX button of the Kontakt track. The result is 16 tracks, one for each midi channel being created, routed to the Kontakt track.

You can select as many tracks as you like and then save them to a track template, with or without content by right-clicking on an empty area of the track panel and finding the command "Save tracks as template". The insert command with a dropdown view of your track template directory is right above that save command . Saves me loads of time, just like everyone else here.

Oh yeah, there's the routing matrix as well. The Preferences/Defaults page at the bottom gives you control over what sends are like when first created with the drag'n'drop and routing-matrix-click-in-box methods. You can keep the preferences open, just hitting the Apply button. This is useful for creating lots of sends at once without having to go back and change stuff on each individual one, one at a time....

Last edited by airon; 09-25-2010 at 11:29 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:41 AM   #44
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I think you don't need to Ctrl+drag the io button, I get exactly the same thing just by simply dragging it, or am I missing something?
oops sorry, you probably dont.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #45
never_mind

This guy (prostitot) is incredible. The other guys trying to help him are incredible as well. But in a completely different meaning. I think I don't need to be more explicit.
never_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #46
captain caveman

You can also channelize notes in the MIDI editor by selecting a bunch of them, right-clicking and selecting the correct option from the menu.
captain caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #47
junkfood

Quote:
Originally Posted by never_mind View Post
This guy (prostitot) is incredible. The other guys trying to help him are incredible as well. But in a completely different meaning. I think I don't need to be more explicit.
Yep, he basically told Reaper and it's community to eff off, the community did their best to help him anyway, then after given the solution, he didn't even bother to say thanks. Owell though.. If nothing else, this thread serves to remind us that: #1.The Reaper community rocks #2.Be polite
junkfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:26 PM   #48
tweezer

I wasn't having the same problem as the OP (or that many problems actually) but I'd just like to say thanks to everyone here for the helpful stuff they posted. It's shown me how to do things I didn't even realise I wanted to know and probably saved me hours of going through the manual sometime in the future.
tweezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #49
kemper

I haven't really explored Reaper's midi functions yet , but just want to say thanks for this in advance. And for the unbelievable patience and forbearance given to a rather aggressive and ungracious OP.
kemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #50
tls11823

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostitot View Post
OK! This actually works. Hoooray! However the proper screen only pops up by hitting Ctrl-F2, right clicking on midi track and choosing "item properties" gives a different screen, "source properties" option = Ctrl-F2.

Now, is there any way to display this data on the track header so that I can see and I don't have to remember what channel it's play on? It's easy to remember a couple tracks, but once it gets to about 20 tracks, I can't remember them all.

Also, can I use that loaded 1st instance of Kontakt on another track without loading a 2nd instance of Kontakt?
So I guess this is his way of saying "Thanks for the help, guys, even though I was being an asshat." Or at least as close as we're going to get. Major props to those who stuck with this guy - you display immense patience and a true willingness to help people.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #51
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls11823 View Post
Major props to those who stuck with this guy - you display immense patience and a true willingness to help people.
Yes, amazing.
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #52
shawnguess

yeah, you guys are better than me, cuz i think hes an ungrateful, annoying fuck and i wouldnt have bothered.
shawnguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:41 PM   #53
Blastrio

Geez. I gotta tell you, you Reaper forum guys are absolutely amazing. Staying cool and helpful to such hostile behavior, I tip my hat to you. There is absolutely no community like Reaper's community. This forum alone is worth the price of admission.
Blastrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:12 PM   #54
strunkdts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnguess View Post
yeah, you guys are better than me, cuz i think hes an ungrateful, annoying fuck and i wouldnt have bothered.
..... +1
strunkdts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #55
strunkdts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastrio View Post
Geez. I gotta tell you, you Reaper forum guys are absolutely amazing. Staying cool and helpful to such hostile behavior, I tip my hat to you. There is absolutely no community like Reaper's community. This forum alone is worth the price of admission.
..... +2
strunkdts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #56
Tedwood

hehe - Great thread this.

Many thanks to the OP for starting it. Hope it's not the end yet

Old 09-25-2010, 08:02 PM   #57
dub3000

Look at the bright side, if someone else is having the same problem they might find this thread in a forum search, so it might be helpful to more people.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #58
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastrio View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth.

After a reading a couple of posts, I simply couldn't believe my eyes - at first I thought the OP was just trolling around for the heck of it, and yet you guys keep giving him feedback. Amazing.

I use midi all the time, and imported midi items as well (from Sibelius). I find it to be a good routine to just check the midi routings of all midi tracks imported, and maybe force them to channel, just to be sure that all tracks play back appropriately. Many VSTs (eg Play) have an omni default setting and then it doesn't really matter, but some go to channel one / two etc. by default (eg Omnisphere) and then the routing may be misaligned, eg if I used an Omnisphere in my Sibelius score. The Sibelius staves (tracks) then are specifically routed to individual midi tracks, and they won't play back if eg the tracks's output is to channel 2, where the plugin's input is channel 1. All pretty elementary, but it can be confusing if you are not extremely midi sophisticated! That said, a couple of months ago I showed a Reaper project to one of my instructors at the Academy of Art (who has been usign Pro Tools for decades); it took him all of 2 1/2 seconds to figure out the midi and audio routings, and he was pretty impressed with how flexible it was and how easy it was to set it up (he was also very impressed with the way Reaper handles files and allows for the creation of subfolders which as many of you know is not nearly as sophisticated in pro tools; but I am digressing).
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #59
chriscomfort

Me too. Huge props to all you guys, least of which Evil Dragon. I commend you on your repeated graciousness. I wouldn't have been so nice and just flamed little 'Tot by the 2nd round. Good for you.

I do empathize with ProstiTOT. Coming from Cubase 5, I'm used to more visual feedback. But I'm really diving into Reaper full force (after owning my first license for over a year). I love everything about Reaper, including its insane customization. So I'm taking advantage of that to help ease my transition by creating templates that include MIDI Tracks and templates for my main VSTi's, using track icons and various other plug-ins.
[img]http://img521.**************/img521/5851/miditrackplugs.jpg[/img]

I've created a MIDI Track template that includes an updated version of IXix JS MIDI Tool II (I called it MIDI Tool IIIb in this pic)
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=64348

I set the Input Channel to Any, and at the bottom Controller Routing to Destination. I then created a Track Control for the Output Channel and created an alias that simply says "Channel" (pg 168 in the manual). I saved this as my MIDI Track template. That track control knob now sends both my keyboard input and the MIDI Item data on the track to this designated channel. And its now automatically in every MIDI track I create. Of course there are other parameters that can by useful as track controls such as the velocity and transpose settings. And you can add any combo of JS or other MIDI fx to create a very comprehensive MIDI control track, renaming parameters as you see fit. Yay.
Note in the Routing that the MIDI send channel is All => All.

I've been campaigning lately about some kind of Track inspector or Track/Item stats page.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...772#post580772
Also inspired by this:
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=732
I made a FR at the SWS Google site since so many of their recent additions are skirting very close to this function. Jeffos accepted the challenge but put it at a low priority because he said "let's wait and see REAPER v4. I smell something big like a mountain ;-)". I can't wait.

So there you have it. Now be a good little Tot and play nice on this amazing forum. Please.

Chris

Edit: I just learned something new too. How to embed images.

Last edited by chriscomfort; 09-26-2010 at 05:59 AM.
chriscomfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #60
lxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 View Post
Look at the bright side, if someone else is having the same problem they might find this thread in a forum search, so it might be helpful to more people.
this is just it. if only the search function didnt suck so badddddddddddd
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #61
EddieRoss

Default Now I Feel So Lucky

After reading all this. I've never used anything but REAPER!I guess I just don't know what I'm missing... or...not. Sure it was hard to get it at first,but that was because I did'nt know anything about computers or recording software. My only,Ahh...They update so fast I can,t keep up. Now that something to get really...Oh wait no its not! E. REAPER Rules.
EddieRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:56 PM   #62
hopi

Now if only the OP would express his\hers entire life experience in one pargraph I'd love to read it.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:21 AM   #63
jayendra

thanks to the original poster. I got some really good stuff out of this, especially the people that answered.

Well done

P.S. Writing on the internet only conjures up images in my head of what people are emotionally trying to tell me. When I first read the original posters comments, I imagined a 12yo, angry non english speaking, drooling and snarling, computer illiterate, hairy ape boy. Effective but not pretty.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:54 AM   #64
arbogast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxm View Post
this is just it. if only the search function didnt suck so badddddddddddd
??? Use google or, even better: search plugin for firefox
Old 09-26-2010, 05:40 AM   #65
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
tbh if i were you I would

1. load kontakt on one track, make it your main track for kontakt

2. load sub tracks that send on a certain channel and then route it to the kontakt track (ctrl-drag the i/o button to the kontakt track, set it as shown:
[IMG]http://img833.**************/img833/6856/110825133727controlsfor.png?t=1[/IMG]

thats your respective channel

[IMG]http://img833.**************/img833/588/110825133641unsavedproj.png?t=1[/IMG]
I agree this is the most straightforward way to do it -- essentially creating a MIDI-only track for each input channel, and an instrument track for the synth.

To the OP, welcome to the forum. I hope you get eventually get something useful out of your REAPER experience (apart from contempt). If you have suggestions for improvement, please let us know.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:30 AM   #66
3mph

I have nothing to add to the topic - I just wanted to send you guys this:

Old 09-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #67
franV

Default Dont give up so quickly

Maybe you should gradually work through the user guide.
Theres always a learning curve and frustration period when you start out.
This is true for all software. Well maybe not for wordpad, but you get my drift.
franV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:06 AM   #68
GreyBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostitot View Post
I quit before I even start. What's the point of using software that hides essential elements in some secret place buried 10 levels deep. The idea of using one track type for both audio and MIDI is FSCKING MORONIC!!! It should not a RTFM moment to select a MIDI channel because that's as basic as it gets. I do LOTS of MIDI and in reaper MIDI is just an after-thought, bolted on like an appendage to Frankenstein. This is THE WORST MIDI implementation I've ever seen in any sequencer. Total utter crap. I contempt reaper.

It should be stated right up front that reaper is basically an audio looping app like fruityloops and that anyone who uses MIDI a lot, and doesn't loop shouldn't touch it with a barge pole. I feel like I've been sucked in deceptively, reaper claiming to be on part with Sonar & Cubase, and all I find is some toy audio looper app. I'm indignant & pissed. I contempt reaper. This rant is your reward for your marketing lies. FFFFUUUUUU
Does this mean that you don't like Reaper? lol. I think it is a well know fact that MIDI is not Reaper's strongest element but, it isn't the total crap that you are proposing either. Reaper is a tool for creating music plain and simple. It either suits your needs or it doesn't.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #69
Sanskrit

Evil Dragon and other helpful posters: wow. Very cool.
Sanskrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #70
hopi

Quote:
I think it is a well know fact that MIDI is not Reaper's strongest element
Oh I don't know... Reaper offers great Midi really... at least to me...

I came to reaper from a few diff DAW's and was [sadly] used to their ways...
It took a bit to understand how and why Reaper is unique in it's ways but once 'I got it' I was truly amazed and have never looked back.

Just the routing alone, when you understand it, is worth the price of admission
Old 09-27-2010, 04:11 AM   #71
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyBeard View Post
I think it is a well know fact that MIDI is not Reaper's strongest element
Well, MIDI may not be Reaper's STRONGEST element, given that Reaper has so many outstanding elements, but is still one of Reaper's many strengths, I think!

In fact, one of the reasons why I prefer Reaper over other DAWs is the ease with which I can do all kinds of MIDI acrobatics with Jesusonic.

(The one big thing that is missing from Reaper's MIDI features is of cause a multi-track score/staff view...)

Returning back to the original question regarding MIDI channels - the following JS plugin is very useful if you need more control than simply forcing all incoming channels to one output channel:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...862#post330862
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:21 AM   #72
musicbynumbers

I've professionally tried out most daws over the last 14 years and settled on reaper and I consider myself a power user. Reaper's MIDI ghastly already come on a lot and has some tricks up it's sleeves snow one else can do. It is also tool less and allows me to do a lot with out key commands, I like being able to delete notes for instance without reaching for delete. I have to teach logic in my day job and use Nuendo and protools in other places and I'm always happy to come back to reaper's MIDI.

(Note: my phone's autospell function turns "protools" into "protoplasm") lol
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:51 AM   #73
Subz

yes reaper is a bit different,

just like the rout to town you would walk or drive is different to the bus rout

kudos to all in this thread! you are the reason i don't speak my mind in this thread!

now i must kick my dog instead!

lol don't worry i don't have a dog :P
Subz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #74
DeyBwah

EvilDragon is the nicest evil dragon I know.
HDSPe | D-Box | MP500-NV | Essence | Obsidian | SM57 | Beta52 | Equi=Tech | CMS40 | HS80 w/HS10W http://soundcloud.com/deybwah | http://www.facebook.com/pages/DeyBwah/208627672487538 | http://twitter.com/#!/DeyBwah
DeyBwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:48 AM   #75
Lawrence

Well that's five minutes of my life, reading this thread, that I'll never get back.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #76
winbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I agree this is the most straightforward way to do it -- essentially creating a MIDI-only track for each input channel, and an instrument track for the synth.

To the OP, welcome to the forum. I hope you get eventually get something useful out of your REAPER experience (apart from contempt). If you have suggestions for improvement, please let us know.
yes, I do it this way as well...
Thanks to this thread, I learned that you could actually explicitely send notes to a given midi channel... but thanks to the super flexible routing offered by Reaper, I never ever used this functionnality... and I have been using Reaper for many years, and my music is 95% MIDI based...

Things are so easy with the routing... you just create tracks anywhere, they can be MIDI or Audio or Busses... and then you route one to the other...

so easy !!