Old 07-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #1
RobinL
Human being with feelings

Default Issues with edrum triggering

So I am trying out the demo version of Reaper. Can't say I am too impressed with live midi at the moment tho I have a feeling it is more on me then the software.

When I try to trigger from an electronic drumkit (Roland TD1kv) it just doesn't record the midi well. Basic drumbeats sound like absolute donkies as if the software tries to move all the notes around. Sometimes hits go earlier, other times it goes later. Almost as if it tries to compensate for things but goes horribly wrong instead A basic four to the floor grove sounds like a little kit going epileptic on the kit.

I tried turning on and off Preserve PDC delayed monitoring as found on other forums but it doesn't matter at all.
Quantize is turned off

This only happens when recording. Just playing midi without any recording sounds great.

When recording it sounds like it should but on playback you can physically see the midi notes not being in the right place. So it's not the drum software but the DAW.

Anyone know how to deal with that?

In short what I have tried:

Preserve PDC Delayed monitoring on/off.
Checking if quantize is turned off in Track Recording Settings
Checking computer temps (specifically CPU if it didn't get downthrottled, it didn't. All temps and drives are good and healthy.)
Tested different sample settings and 44.1-96khz (lower samplerate/latency did a tiny bit better but not very noticeably so.)
Playing without VST.

Windows 10 (latest update)
8350 x8 @stock
7200rpm HDD (where I installed BFD3)
850 Evo Samsung SSD (where I installed Reaper)
RX480 8gb vram
Asrock 970 motherboard (latest firmware)
24gb DDR3 ram
Audient iD14 interface at lowest latency setting to higest (16 samples to 8k samples)

Thanks!
RobinL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:26 AM   #2
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

I regularly use my e-drum (TD-12 Roland) linked to my bank or Superior Drummer 3. I haven't changed anything in the default settings, I have a Babyface v1 RME, the latency is very low, although I avoid the lowest one to avoid glitch. I have an old strong PC, an i7 950 of 3,10 Ghz with 14 Mg of ram with W10. I don't have any problems. The samples are on a SSD, maybe this.Your problem didn't come from Reaper.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:00 AM   #3
RobinL
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Sermonne View Post
I regularly use my e-drum (TD-12 Roland) linked to my bank or Superior Drummer 3. I haven't changed anything in the default settings, I have a Babyface v1 RME, the latency is very low, although I avoid the lowest one to avoid glitch. I have an old strong PC, an i7 950 of 3,10 Ghz with 14 Mg of ram with W10. I don't have any problems. The samples are on a SSD, maybe this.Your problem didn't come from Reaper.
As I mentioned earlier, this also happen when I am not using any VSTs. Just recording midi into Reaper. But for the sake of testing I did move BFD3 to a secondary SSD (as advised instead of having it on the same SSD as your OS/DAW.) Still the same issues.
I just got water cooling in my PC today so I got my overclock stable at 5ghz making it so it performs closer to an intel 4770 in terms of speed but no result sadly.
RobinL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:40 AM   #4
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Check your usb conexion for the Audient audio interface ? maybe...
I'm no expert, but it doesn't make sense to install samples on a hdd if you have an ssd. I have one ssd for windows and program, one hdd for storage and audio recording and two ssd for samples. I didn't make any big changes in Reaper in the default settings, except for my custom actions, some shortcuts and the appearance of the theme and items. I read somewhere that USB can cause problems, especially if there's a hub in the middle.

Last edited by Vincent Sermonne; 07-21-2018 at 04:50 AM.
Vincent Sermonne is offline   Reply With Quote