Old 11-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
randall7
Human being with feelings

Default How to record electric guitar into Reaper ?

So far I haved a midi keyboard to record samples (usb from controller into desktop PC) into midi tracks in Reaper. I want to buy an electric guitar, headphone amp that plugs into the guitar and then i plug in a headphone (so I do not drive my roommate nuts). How would I best and most easily record electric guitar (from an actual guitar, not a guitar synth) as an audio track into Reaper?
Old 11-10-2018, 11:00 AM   #2
foxAsteria

You won't get any guitar into Reaper this way. You need a recording interface to plug it into. Most of them have headphone jacks. Then you will need to find some plugins for the amp simulation. AmpliTube Custom Shop is a good free place to start for that.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
randall7

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
You won't get any guitar into Reaper this way. You need a recording interface to plug it into. Most of them have headphone jacks. Then you will need to find some plugins for the amp simulation. AmpliTube Custom Shop is a good free place to start for that.
I have a Presonus Audiobox, would that work? I think I could plug a guitar cord from the guitar into that, then route that to a USB input of my PC?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg presonusaudiobox.jpg (20.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 11-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
woogish

kee-rect
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:45 PM   #5
foxAsteria

Yes but you don't have to route anything. Just install the proper ASIO drivers from the Presonus website and select them in Reaper preferences. And be sure to select the full range of inputs and outputs available (also in prefs).

Consider looking at the User Guide, which explains all of these things in the first few pages.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #6
randall7

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Yes but you don't have to route anything. Just install the proper ASIO drivers from the Presonus website and select them in Reaper preferences. And be sure to select the full range of inputs and outputs available (also in prefs).

Consider looking at the User Guide, which explains all of these things in the first few pages.
I would also have a separate usb into my pc from a midi controller keyboard, that uses ASIO4ALL; would that be compatible with the ASIO for the Presonus? Can I run both ASIO drivers?!? No way to route the midi controller into the Presonus because it is usb only for its output (Panda MINI usb midi controller keyboard).
Old 11-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #7
Rangler

Recording electric guitar is hard if you can't play it loud and record it with a mic. Unfortunately I have to record it direct and it sounds so lifeless with lots of self-noise that I have to scrub.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:37 PM   #8
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by randall7 View Post
I would also have a separate usb into my pc from a midi controller keyboard, that uses ASIO4ALL; would that be compatible with the ASIO for the Presonus? Can I run both ASIO drivers?!? No way to route the midi controller into the Presonus because it is usb only for its output (Panda MINI usb midi controller keyboard).
Looks like the Panda MINI USB MIDI Keyboard is just a MIDI controller (and therefore transmitting only MIDI over USB).

Setting up Audio and MIDI are basically two different things. So in your case:
  • Select the Presonus as Audio Device (Preferences > Audio > Device) using the corresponding Presonus ASIO driver for the unit (instead of ASIO4ALL). And connect the guitar & headphones/speakers directly to the Presonus.
  • Enable the Panda as MIDI Device (Preferences > Audio > MIDI Devices)

More info about this can be found in the User Guide (https://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php) and Videos section (https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php).
Old 11-10-2018, 02:42 PM   #9
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by randall7 View Post
NO! Do not use ASIO4All! Not at all. Use only the drivers for your devices.

The keyboard controller should have its own driver as well. They will not conflict. Uninstall ASIO4All and forget about it.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #10
randall7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
Recording electric guitar is hard if you can't play it loud and record it with a mic. Unfortunately I have to record it direct and it sounds so lifeless with lots of self-noise that I have to scrub.
Would Native Instruments Guitar Rig Pro 5 solve that issue? I do have that software, just have never installed nor used it before, never had a need. Not exactly sure what Guitar Rig does-- does it maybe take the lifeless guitar recording and then apply effects to make an electric guitar sound like it would if it was recorded through a normal plugged in floor amp?
Old 11-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #11
Dezb1

Guitar rig is great, as is line 6 amp farm lots of amp and cab emulations and more effects than you'll need.so yes it takes the direct guitar signal and makes it sound like it's been played through a real amp in a real room - or it can make it sound totally alien and make science fiction noises, as it's a very powerful editing tool
Dezb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #12
woogish

why is it I'm getting the feeling that this guy is jerking "our" chain?
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:38 PM   #13
Not_Here

Location: West Coast - Sun...everyday....Sun, Sun, and more Sun...

jeeze,

plug guitar into a tuner > interface > usb

do what they say above to get sound from usb to Reaper

put gtr sim of your choice on input fx of a channel in Reaper.

turn on monitor on channel

do a quick level check.

jam.

hit record at some point if you remember...

I'm not gettin what the difficulty is.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:08 AM   #14
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
I don't have much experience in playing loudly, but it doesn't seem true at all.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #15
Jimmy James

Big fan of POD Farm here. I love my tube amps, but sometimes I need to record direct, or for someone else. POD Farm is always my go to. I can track guitars in real time with zero latency.
Black Rooster has a free Orange Amp plugin that is very rock n roll. You can monitor your guitar track in POD Farm with a Plexi, for example. And record the track dry. Then add another amp SIM like the Black Rooster or guitar rig.
Lots of options. I think POD Farm has a free bundle as well to try.
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote