Old 11-17-2018, 08:28 PM   #1
SpookyNoodle
Human being with feelings

Default Heal Overlapping Items?

So, Dynamic Split is a great tool, doubly so when I'm editing a podcast where there's long expanses of silence in each track. But, it has an unfortunate tendency to put slices in the middle of lines where they're not necessary, and ripple editing with that can sometimes be a pain.

So, 'Heal Splits in Selected Items' is the second godsend for me, allowing me to consolidate items. The problem is, it can be a little tedious to go through and select each item. I can't just do Select All > Heal Splits, because that puts the silence back in. I can easily tell when it's one person talking, because the splits overlap.

https://i.imgur.com/NjrdIfQ.png <-- Like this

This is something where I would want to heal.

https://i.imgur.com/CvfaGqP.png <-- and THIS is an instance where I DON'T want to heal the split, because all that's there is a big chunk of silence, that I'm not interested in patching.

So, is there any sort of script, or action, or item, where can I just select everything, and say, "Heal all items where there is overlap, but ignore items that aren't overlapping"?
SpookyNoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #2
Fergler
Human being with feelings

I would go back to the splitting stage and set better parameters. You can assist it by using ReaGate to generate noise over the recording to hide inter-word silence from the splitter, and ensure the long pauses are actually silent (I'd do that with a second gate, to keep the parameters more fine-tuned).

By the way, just an aside, when it comes to getting it to broadcast levels, check out the JS effect TriLeveler 2. Will make it so easy.
Fergler is online now   Reply With Quote