Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 05-31-2014, 07:21 AM   #1
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)
Default 70s Style Berlin Electronic Improv - Run the Race!

A couple of days ago, I posted over on KVR about a new tune I wrote for a new album I am recording and figured I'd share it here with everyone.

Some of you may have heard about the new u-he synth they have just released in public beta called Bazille. I have been testing it and the first track from the new album was composed completely in software using Bazille.

Here's what I wrote on KVR:

This track started off as a patching experiment using the public beta of u-he Bazille and quickly grew into an improvised electronic performance reminiscent of the style typical of the mid 70s Berlin School of Electronic Music.

For this track, I used Bazille exclusively for the sounds. All patches are my own Bazille experiments.
The only place I used any effects outside of Bazille is on the pad sound which starts at 59 seconds. For that sound, I patched Bazille through a Big Rock phaser and Valhalla Shimmer. All other effects (various delays, phasing and spring reverbs) are straight from Bazille.

For performance, I used my Yamaha SY77 with the 1st modulation wheel set to control Bazille LFO rate and depth (rate increases with depth to accentuate intensity variation) and the 2nd modulation wheel controls filter cutoffs.
Sequence and pads were played on my Yamaha KX8 and the lead parts on the SY77. Both parts were played and recorded together and a second lead track was overdubbed later. No SY77 sounds were used. It is all Bazille. The SY77 was just used as a MIDI controller.

The main sequence was created with BlueARP (which was tweaked in realtime) and the percussive pink noise effects were triggered from SquaredHeads Nora.

Recording, mixing and mastering was done on my Sony Vaio Duo 11 convertible tablet running Win8 and REAPER.

This track has inspired me to start work on a new album of 70s style electronic improvisations which I will be calling, "Hidden Gems | Instrumental Journeys."
The first track is called, "Run the Race."
Here's the download link (along with other tracks from this album). Let me know what you reckon....
Run the Race!

Edit - For those who haven't seen the post about the second track from this new album, here's the link....
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=141405

Last edited by Dannii; 06-12-2014 at 03:12 AM.
Dannii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:55 AM   #2
Dannii

Bump... just in case everyone missed this.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
lachrimae

I really enjoyed it even though I don't know much about the original music from the 70's. I'm way out of my synth league when trying to pull good sounds out of Bazille but you were clearly not having any issues!
Well done!
lachrimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #4
martifingers

I admired the attention to detail and the musicality of the piece. Crystal clear mix too.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:29 AM   #5
n0rd

Nice one Dannii.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:55 AM   #6
msore

The sounds and patterns are rich in a number of ways. There is great texture (added) in phrases/notes. The linkages (harmony) between voices is entwined and gives a huge sense of body. Some things hit solidly, and other things whine creatively, with a synthetic sympatico between them. The development is neither slow nor fast, and produces a moving satisfaction, akin to what humans feel when they explore. Notes and lines have multiple dimensions, by the use of bends and other parameters, and this is done judiciously, musically. The use of range and making each line of music stand out in a background of supporting waves of compatible sounds says something great about how you have listened, and how you have anticipated the listening of the listener.

Wonderful, gourmet music.
thanks d
Old 06-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #7
Triode

Feels like watching an early 80's cult movie. Like it
Old 06-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
Dannii

Thanks heaps for taking the time to have a listen and comment guys. Much appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachrimae View Post
I really enjoyed it even though I don't know much about the original music from the 70's. I'm way out of my synth league when trying to pull good sounds out of Bazille but you were clearly not having any issues!
Well done!
Cheers Lachrimae. Hang in there with Bazille. It is well worth taking the time to experiment. I've been playing around with analog synths now for around thirty years so if I couldn't get something out of Bazille, I should quit! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
I admired the attention to detail and the musicality of the piece. Crystal clear mix too.
Thanks heaps Martifingers. Glad you enjoyed the mix too. All the possibilities in REAPER make mixing so much more enjoyable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0rd View Post
Nice one Dannii.
Cheers n0rd
Quote:
Originally Posted by msore View Post
The sounds and patterns are rich in a number of ways. There is great texture (added) in phrases/notes. The linkages (harmony) between voices is entwined and gives a huge sense of body. Some things hit solidly, and other things whine creatively, with a synthetic sympatico between them. The development is neither slow nor fast, and produces a moving satisfaction, akin to what humans feel when they explore. Notes and lines have multiple dimensions, by the use of bends and other parameters, and this is done judiciously, musically. The use of range and making each line of music stand out in a background of supporting waves of compatible sounds says something great about how you have listened, and how you have anticipated the listening of the listener.

Wonderful, gourmet music.
thanks d
That would have to be the most descriptive and detailed review I've ever read of one of my tracks Msore!! Would you mind if I used that in the liner notes for this album? Seriously! Thank you for your attention to detail. This is a gourmet review!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
Feels like watching an early 80's cult movie. Like it
I was a teenager in the 80s and I watched my share of such movies!! No doubt that has rubbed of on me musically. Cheers Triode. Your username makes me feel all warm and glowing! lol
Old 06-12-2014, 03:13 AM   #9
Dannii

For those who haven't seen the post about the second track from this new album, here's the link....
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=141405
Old 06-12-2014, 11:58 PM   #10
hopi

very beautiful track RD... and I usually don't even like that sorta stuff, but I reaLLY like yours...

I'd buy yer album when it's done.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:29 PM   #11
Dannii

Really appreciate your feedback Hopi. Thanks for taking the time to check this out, especially considering it isn't normally your thing.
Have you had a listen to the second track I recorded for this album yet? You can download that one from the same link as Run the Race.
I'm about to start work on the third track too which I hope to have online in a couple of days.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:52 PM   #12
zoso2

This is really fun to listen to, nice work!
zoso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #13
Dannii

Thanks zoso2

I have just completed the mix on the third track for this album and will be uploading it shortly. I'll post information and a download link to it once the upload is complete.

The new track is called Ghost Train.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:26 AM   #14
Dannii

Newest track from this album, Ghost Train, details here... http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=141687
Old 06-17-2014, 07:49 PM   #15
Thuneau

I enjoy the tracks. It's like listening to something Tangerine Dream did in late 70's or early 80's and just now released but with modern digital synths triggered by the old MIDI. You are quite talented Dannii.
Thuneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:32 PM   #16
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuneau View Post
I enjoy the tracks. It's like listening to something Tangerine Dream did in late 70's or early 80's and just now released but with modern digital synths triggered by the old MIDI. You are quite talented Dannii.
Glad you enjoyed this Thuneau. Thanks heaps for the compliments.
I just did a fair bit of work tweaking Ghost Train too and have uploaded a new mix. The original links still work. The file name is the same so if you've already downloaded the first version and want to keep it for comparison, make sure you rename it before downloading the new mix.
Here's the link again.... http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=141687