Old 02-07-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
fortheloveofgod
Human being with feelings

Default Mixer Help

Hello i have a Alesis MultiMix 8USB mixer however i dont think its compatible with the ASIO, so is it possible to run it through the direct sound?

Please help me guys

thanks
fortheloveofgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
Alistair S

What is the problem with the Asio driver?

I assume that the mixer came with one, but reading around I am not so sure that Alesis supply one.

Have you tried using Asio4all? That should work. If you are getting pops/crackles you may need to adjust your latency setting in the Asio4all driver.

Can you take us through what you have done to set it up and what isn't working? It should work fine. It may be that you missed a step.
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
fortheloveofgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair S View Post
What is the problem with the Asio driver?

I assume that the mixer came with one, but reading around I am not so sure that Alesis supply one.

Have you tried using Asio4all? That should work. If you are getting pops/crackles you may need to adjust your latency setting in the Asio4all driver.

Can you take us through what you have done to set it up and what isn't working? It should work fine. It may be that you missed a step.
Hi thanks for replying well I have finally got the ASIO file installed and its receiving my device, however within reaper when i record and playback there is an on going hissing/feeback/buzz type sound. All i really need to know is two things which is better for my device: ASIO/Direct sound? and also how can i eliminate this horrible sound.

thanks
Old 02-07-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
Alistair S

Hmm.. well, I don't have one of these mixers, so it is probably best to wait on someone who has got theirs working to jump in.

However, you could try adjusting the latency slider in Asio4all and see if that helps.

I am surprised that Alesis don't supply a driver with these things. From what I can see it relies on a USB Audio Codec in windows. There is some stuff in the manual about setting that up - it looks as if you need to configure windows a bit. They also point you to Asio4all and another from usb-audio.com (maybe that one is worth a try? Seems you have to pay for it, but there is a demo version so you could see if it even works).

If you can get a true ASIO driver working I would expect that you will have less latency. However, if you can get it recording better through DirectX I would go with that.

Sorry, not helping much
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
Carulli

I'm not really that good at this helping thing yet but it sound like it might be a mis- match in the bit rates..

Unless I am mistaken bits must match for all the input devices used in Asio, otherwise there is hiss ect.
Carulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:56 AM   #6
fortheloveofgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carulli View Post
I'm not really that good at this helping thing yet but it sound like it might be a mis- match in the bit rates..

Unless I am mistaken bits must match for all the input devices used in Asio, otherwise there is hiss ect.
could you tell me about the matching of input devices and bits?

thanks
Old 02-09-2007, 12:51 AM   #7
TusterBuster

Default MultiMix Firewire

Hi. I have a MultiMix 12 Firewire and it works great with Reaper.

Did you know that there is (or was) a mistake in the Alesis manual? They give the wrong power-up sequence. The correct sequence is 1) switch on PC; 2) switch on MultiMix; 2) start DAW software. Only if you follow this sequence will Windows "see" the MultiMix drivers, so that Reaper makes the MultiMix ASIO channels available in the "Options/Preferences/Devices/Audio" panel. You can set up the bit depth, sample rate and buffer size with the MultiMix control panel which can be accessed from the ASIO Settings button in the Reaper "Options/Preferences/Devices/Audio" panel or from the Alesis icon on the desktop.

It's worth installing the latest firmware and drivers from www.alesis.com.

I'm very happy with my MultiMix 12. Good luck.
Cheers, happy tracking
TB
TusterBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:48 AM   #8
fortheloveofgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusterBuster View Post
Hi. I have a MultiMix 12 Firewire and it works great with Reaper.

Did you know that there is (or was) a mistake in the Alesis manual? They give the wrong power-up sequence. The correct sequence is 1) switch on PC; 2) switch on MultiMix; 2) start DAW software. Only if you follow this sequence will Windows "see" the MultiMix drivers, so that Reaper makes the MultiMix ASIO channels available in the "Options/Preferences/Devices/Audio" panel. You can set up the bit depth, sample rate and buffer size with the MultiMix control panel which can be accessed from the ASIO Settings button in the Reaper "Options/Preferences/Devices/Audio" panel or from the Alesis icon on the desktop.

It's worth installing the latest firmware and drivers from www.alesis.com.

I'm very happy with my MultiMix 12. Good luck.
Cheers, happy tracking
TB

Hi man i have the Multimix USB mixer and i didnt get no drivers with it as it states "no drivers need, plug and play operation". So what situation does this leave me in. So you state i need to turn pc on, then mixer then the reaper software. ? Also im getting a ongoing hissing signal or hum how can i get rid of it cheers?
Old 02-09-2007, 04:51 AM   #9
fortheloveofgod

On the ASIO settings my Latency compensation is:

In:32 samples

Out: 32 samples

&

ASIO buffer size is:

512 samples.

Is this any use to me as i need to eliminate my hum sound.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #10
TusterBuster

Ooops, I failed to see that you have the USB version. I have no experience with that... other USB interfaces I have used (Tascam, M-Audio) had ASIO drivers supplied with them.

With USB audio devices it's usual to switch them on first, before you switch on the PC.

I think that when you first connect the mixer to the PC you see the "found new hardware" routine and some USB audio drivers are installed from Windows; these should then appear in the Reaper Otions/preferences/audio/devices window as "USB audio codec" or something like that.

Noise and hiss shouldn't be noticeable. Are you using high-gain mic inputs for line level instruments, or something?

That's about all the help I can offer. Good luck.
Cheers
TB
TusterBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:50 AM   #11
fortheloveofgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusterBuster View Post
Ooops, I failed to see that you have the USB version. I have no experience with that... other USB interfaces I have used (Tascam, M-Audio) had ASIO drivers supplied with them.

With USB audio devices it's usual to switch them on first, before you switch on the PC.

I think that when you first connect the mixer to the PC you see the "found new hardware" routine and some USB audio drivers are installed from Windows; these should then appear in the Reaper Otions/preferences/audio/devices window as "USB audio codec" or something like that.

Noise and hiss shouldn't be noticeable. Are you using high-gain mic inputs for line level instruments, or something?

That's about all the help I can offer. Good luck.
Cheers
TB
K well im using the Mic port on my mixer with a shure SM57?