Old 09-02-2017, 04:09 PM   #1
OpIvy
Human being with feelings

Default Outside

After an extended period of getting barely any music done, I finally completed one.
I think it came out ok but any feedback, let me have it!
https://soundcloud.com/opivy/outside
Old 09-02-2017, 11:23 PM   #2
Timothy Lawler

A good listen. Hot vocal and guitars. Really great guitar playing. The drumset, especially the snare, sounds artificial much of the time. And in that, clashes with the genuine expression of the vocal for me. Just how I hear it.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:36 AM   #3
zeekat

This is usual quality, not sure about the bass tho, especially after the tune just below it with great bitey growly bass. Muddy distortion sounds weird.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:12 AM   #4
Dimaension X

Reminds me of the late 80's, early 90's when grunge was bringing back a more organic sound. I like it. Almost a more "lo-fi" Green Day.

Perhaps a bit of "room" reverb on the drums would make them sound a bit more natural. They're a bit dry.
Dimaension X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:41 PM   #5
OPI

Really fun song man. Glad to see you back at it again.

I think the snare is a tad stale. Maybe try lfo'ing some pith and drive but go very light on it. Maybe some more velocity variation during the main parts. I understand some drummers really do hit the snare at an unbelievable consistency but i think some variation in this tune might add to the live feel.

And i think the hats (?) May be a little loud. The ones that happen at 1:38. ( Sorry, my knowledge of real kits are very limited)

Other then that, no clue. Good job.

This would go great in any of the tony hawk pro skater games btw.
OPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:26 PM   #6
OpIvy

Thanks for the feedback
That snare did give me some dramas. It's got some crack but not much body. I don't mind the rest of the kit 'cause I wanted it to have 90's feel but without the crazy reverb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
This is usual quality, not sure about the bass tho, especially after the tune just below it with great bitey growly bass. Muddy distortion sounds weird.
My bass!!! I kinda like the dirtiness. But I'll revisit it when I look at the drums- I could back off that second distortion track a tad.

Thanks for all the listens.
I'll try tidy up a few things from your suggestions
Old 09-04-2017, 03:16 PM   #7
morgon

Cool track, I was reading some article about how distortion bass can actually clarify the mix by being more tonically audible and less "boomy". I've been doing that recently quite a lot. Is it too distorted in this case? I didn't think so as I heard it but I always liked dist rock sounds anyway. Good mix, I'd be tempted to copy the snare track then put Reapitch at minus 4 or 5 semitones and blend it in for extra body. Cheers.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:48 PM   #8
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
Cool track, I was reading some article about how distortion bass can actually clarify the mix by being more tonically audible and less "boomy". I've been doing that recently quite a lot. Is it too distorted in this case? I didn't think so as I heard it but I always liked dist rock sounds anyway. Good mix, I'd be tempted to copy the snare track then put Reapitch at minus 4 or 5 semitones and blend it in for extra body. Cheers.
I'd say distortion loses its charm when it's muffled, it's all about overtones after all. Altough fun fact, it's easy to fuck up in the other direction. I thought I have a nasty clipping problem once, turned out bass fret click on a bright amp sim sounded very much like clipping artifacts in the mix. That's the kind of shit that makes you join the Obsessive Remixers Club.