Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-14-2019, 08:00 AM   #1
horanni
Human being with feelings

Default Not able to hear guitar recording

I have a Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen and it is working fine in terms of me being able to hear myself play (even without Reaper opened) but when I hit record in Reaper I can see the audio is indeed being recorded but when I play it back I hear nothing.
I have attached screenshots of the interface and my preferences, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: png pref.PNG (30.1 KB, 96 views)
File Type: png daw.PNG (19.5 KB, 95 views)
horanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:29 AM   #2
solger

Two things to check in general:
  • Is the correct stereo output pair (output 1/2) selected as hardware output in the Master Track?: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#lCoxSmr-2VU
  • Is the audio output routing set up correctly in the Track I/O Routing Panel? (because in your screenshot it looks like that Track #1 has currently either a Send or Hardware output assigned)

EDIT: Also double-check the Input/Playback knob setting on the front of the Scarlett.

Last edited by solger; 01-14-2019 at 09:51 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #3
horanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Two things to check in general:
  • Is the correct stereo output pair (output 1/2) selected as hardware output in the Master Track?: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#lCoxSmr-2VU
  • Is the audio output routing set up correctly in the Track I/O Routing Panel? (because in your screenshot it looks like that Track #1 has currently either a Send or Hardware output assigned)

EDIT: Also double-check the Input/Playback knob setting on the front of the Scarlett.
1) Yeah the hardware output is set to output 1 / output 2.

2) I'm not really sure what to input here so I've attached a screenshot of the routing panel

how should the input/playback knob be configured? It's currently turned all the way to input, thanks!

Edit: On the Scarlett itself Input 1 is set to INST, direct monitor is set to mono and the monitor knob is dialed to zero (all the way left)
Attached Images
File Type: png routing.PNG (23.7 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by horanni; 01-14-2019 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
2) I'm not really sure what to input here so I've attached a screenshot of the routing panel
Thanks. Looks fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horanni View Post
how should the input/playback knob be configured? It's currently turned all the way to input, thanks!
The input/playback knob is for the Direct Monitor option on the Scarlett and adjusts the mix of input and output signal (DAW Playback) going through the connected headphones/monitors.
So if you want to hear both audio input & output, move the knob to the middle position for getting a 50/50 mix.

Last edited by solger; 01-14-2019 at 10:10 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:08 AM   #5
horanni

Quote:
Thanks. Looks fine.

The input/playback knob is for the Direct Monitor option on the Scarlett and adjusts the mix of input and output signal (DAW Playback).
So if you want to hear both audio input & output, move the knob to the middle position for getting a 50/50 mix.
Oh my god that knob was the only problem, that's embarrassing hahaha learn something new everyday I guess. Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:12 AM   #6
solger

Great to hear that the issue is resolved
Old 01-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #7
horanni

Quote:
Great to hear that the issue is resolved
Just a quick question, would you know where I can download an impulse for Kefir? I have been following the instructions on this thread

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/t...e-here.615966/

but the download link for the impulse is broken. I don't really even know the significance of an impulse but I'm just trying to get started.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:43 AM   #8
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by horanni View Post
Just a quick question, would you know where I can download an impulse for Kefir?

but the download link for the impulse is broken. I don't really even know the significance of an impulse but I'm just trying to get started.
Basically you can use any impulse response file in a compatible format (like .wav).

These links should be helpful: