Old 10-02-2017, 05:22 AM   #1
Digger 66
Human being with feelings

Default Drum Questions

What is the easiest way for me to lay down a basic 4/4 drum track and change / modify parts later ?
I want to put the drums down first so I can hear what everything else sounds like together.Then maybe change some sounds later.
Forgive me if this sounds dumb but this is how I did it years ago with my trusty old 4 track. I do not own a drum machine but am willing to purchase one if its required .
Thanks for any help here.
-Gene
Digger 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:34 AM   #2
slipstick

No need to buy anything yet. You can do it in MIDI with a drum VST to make the sounds. For a first try to see if you like doing it that way the free MT Power Kit is an easy one to start with http://www.powerdrumkit.com/

That has quite a few MIDI "Grooves" to select and drag into the Reaper track and then you can change them as you like or you can tap your own beats in via the MIDI editor.

There are loads of other options too, but that's my usual starting point.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:46 AM   #3
Digger 66

Thank you Steve .
Will do .

Mods please move this to the Q&A board ?
I did not see it before I posted this .
Old 10-02-2017, 10:13 AM   #4
Reason

It's probably a bit more work, but it's where I ended up, so here's what I do:

I have a track template set up using 4 instances of RS5K - kick, snare, open and closed hihats, using free samples I found on the web, plus a basic reverb using Reaverbate. I just add that template, add a midi item, and then use the piano roll to mouse in a basic backbeat. There's probably a way to save the completed midi item with the track, too.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:14 AM   #5
DVDdoug

I've never tried EZdrummer but this is from Recording Magazine:
Quote:
For nearly 20 years now, I've followed the submissions to our Reader's Tapes column looking for relationships between the gear used and the end results. I'm particularly interested the fact that many of our readers don't play drums themselves, or have a live drummer...

Some use drum machines, some drag and drop drum loops... and arrange them in their DAWs, some use rhythm box plug-ins, and the results are all over the map... Whether it's bad samples, unrealistic mixing, sloppy effects, or a groove no real drummer would play, these less-than-stellar drum tracks can drag an entire song down...

Comparing gear lists to critique results, a small handful of products could be traced consistently to excellent drum tracks. [EZdrummer] was not only among the most consistent of the virtual drummers but also among the most affordable.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
Digger 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
It's probably a bit more work, but it's where I ended up, so here's what I do:

I have a track template set up using 4 instances of RS5K - kick, snare, open and closed hihats, using free samples I found on the web, plus a basic reverb using Reaverbate. I just add that template, add a midi item, and then use the piano roll to mouse in a basic backbeat. There's probably a way to save the completed midi item with the track, too.
That's pretty cool ^
Thanks . I'll mess with that tonight.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:16 PM   #7
Digger 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
MT Power Kit is an easy one to start with http://www.powerdrumkit.com/

That has quite a few MIDI "Grooves" to select and drag into the Reaper track and then you can change them as you like or you can tap your own beats in via the MIDI editor.

There are loads of other options too, but that's my usual starting point.

Steve
All I get out of the download is a zipped folder .
Should this be a stand alone item as well ?

Guess I must be too old for this .
I downloaded it and couldn't figure out how to finish the installation
Now it's floating around on my hard drive somewhere !!!!

Last edited by Digger 66; 10-02-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:58 AM   #8
slipstick

What operating system are you using? Which version did you download. I've only installed it on Windows. I don't know nuffink about Macs.

There are "How to install" instructions on the download page and in installation.txt in the zip file. Basically copy the .dll and .pdk file to wherever you keep your VSTs. What problems did you have?

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:37 AM   #9
Digger 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
What operating system are you using? Which version did you download. I've only installed it on Windows. I don't know nuffink about Macs.

There are "How to install" instructions on the download page and in installation.txt in the zip file. Basically copy the .dll and .pdk file to wherever you keep your VSTs. What problems did you have?

Steve
I'll post back when I'm at the PC after work.
I'm running Windows 64 and downloaded the same .
Old 10-03-2017, 01:50 PM   #10
Digger 66

I figured how to drag and drop the zipped folder into my program files but ...do I need to unzip it somehow ?
When I open Reaper and select Insert > VST > That file is not there ??
Any help ?

Old 10-03-2017, 06:46 PM   #11
Goldreap

Move that zip folder back to your desktop, that Reaper plugin folder is for things that come with the Reaper installation, not 3rd party VSTs.
Unzip the folder on your desktop (right click> extract all), don't change the destination, untick the 'show extracted files when complete'. You'll then have the unzipped folder sitting next to the zipped folder. You could now delete the original zipped folder but just leave it there for now in case you have to do all this again.
Now, where do you put your VST plugins? Sounds like you haven't done this before and perhaps don't have any? Have a look in Program Files. Is there a folder called 'VSTPlugins' in there? If not, create it. Put the new extracted folder from desktop in there.
Now in Reaper, open up Options/ Preferences/ VST...click on add, navigate to your VSTPlugins folder in Program Files, highlight it, and press OK. Now Reaper knows where to look for your VSTs, and when you open Reaper any VSTs you have in that path will appear in Reaper's FX browser. From the FX browser you can add the FX to a track. You'll need to set up midi input to the track. Not sure what you know from here so see how all the above goes then get back to us.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:14 AM   #12
Digger 66

I managed to get it working last night folks .
Thank you for all your help here .
-Gene