Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #1
Adralicus
Human being with feelings

Default Play only selected objects like in Samplitude?

In Samplitude you can select an object (item) whether it be audio or MIDI or both, press Ctrl+Spacebar and the object(s) will be playedback whilst muting all other unselected objects. You can also do a similar thing in the midi editor. If the midi editor is in focus you hit Ctrl+Spacebar and just the notes in the midi editor will playback.Is there a way to emulate this function in Reaper?
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H | Intel Haswell i7 4770K | 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Crucial 512mb SSD System Drive | 1 x Crucial 960gb SSD A/V Drive | 1 x Crucial 960gb SSD Samples Drive | 1x Gigabyte GTX 960 2gb | 40" 4k Monitor | RME Fireface 400 |Windows 10 x64

Last edited by Adralicus; 03-09-2017 at 04:28 AM.
Adralicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:15 AM   #2
Macc

Not at my machine, but there's definitely a solo selected objects (sorry, items!) function/action. I use it quite a bit.
Macc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:51 AM   #3
Adralicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macc View Post
Not at my machine, but there's definitely a solo selected objects (sorry, items!) function/action. I use it quite a bit.
Hi there. Did you manage to find the action you use? I've drawn blank replicating the Samplitude feature so far.
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H | Intel Haswell i7 4770K | 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Crucial 512mb SSD System Drive | 1 x Crucial 960gb SSD A/V Drive | 1 x Crucial 960gb SSD Samples Drive | 1x Gigabyte GTX 960 2gb | 40" 4k Monitor | RME Fireface 400 |Windows 10 x64
Old 03-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #4
xpander

There are couple of actions which will play the selected items, but they will also play everything else on the same time line position, so not quite there. I believe I've seen few similar requests around here where the playback should also skip any space between the selected items?

If skipping is not needed, perhaps a custom toggle action could be made using SWS cycle actions. First saving the current solo/mute state of all items/tracks and after soloing the selected items, toggling everything back to the original state?
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:08 PM   #5
rustonium

This custom action will do the trick. However, you have to use the shortcut for the custom action to stop playback as well as start playback, or else the selected items will stay soloed.

- Item properties: Toggle solo
- Item navigation: Move cursor to start of items
- Transport: Play/stop

Hope it's useful! Maybe someone else can improve on it.
rustonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #6
Adralicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustonium View Post
This custom action will do the trick. However, you have to use the shortcut for the custom action to stop playback as well as start playback, or else the selected items will stay soloed.

- Item properties: Toggle solo
- Item navigation: Move cursor to start of items
- Transport: Play/stop

Hope it's useful! Maybe someone else can improve on it.
Hey that seems to work thanks alot!! Actually if I add "Unmute" to the custom action I can use Ctrl+Spacebar to play selected objects and just Spacebar again if you want to listen again. Then just plain Spacebar will unmute the object and I'm back to normal.

Last edited by Adralicus; 03-10-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #7
Adralicus

Hmm actually that's not quite right. Need to refine the actions.The problem with adding the Mute action is that it unmute's the items that are selected but mutes the unselected items.

Last edited by Adralicus; 03-10-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:27 AM   #8
rustonium

Great to hear it's useful.

One way to get around it could be to save my suggested custom action and add a single key as the shortcut.

This way you can use the shortcut to quickly play the selected items as well as stop playback and un-solo the selected items. I see no reason to mute any items?
Old 03-11-2017, 12:30 AM   #9
Embass

Type 'preview' in action list, there are a lot of actions.. (sws extensions required)

You can use something like this:

SWS/BR: Toggle preview take under mouse
Embass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:32 AM   #10
rustonium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embass View Post
Type 'preview' in action list, there are a lot of actions.. (sws extensions required)

You can use something like this:

SWS/BR: Toggle preview take under mouse
Yes, there's also this one: "Xenakios/SWS: Preview selected media item through track (toggle)"
However, these options doesn't seem to give the option to preview multiple selected items. Only one item at a time.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:05 AM   #11
Embass

What about this? Is this what you want?

https://goo.gl/Ku0qc2

If so you need to create cycle action.

example: https://goo.gl/U8Uilv
Old 03-11-2017, 07:34 AM   #12
Adralicus

Quote:
What about this? Is this what you want?

https://goo.gl/Ku0qc2

If so you need to create cycle action.

example: https://goo.gl/U8Uilv
That looks good. How do I make a script for that or do you have that script?
Old 03-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #13
Embass

Cycle action works like custom action.. the difference is that cycle action allows you to toggle between different actions, for this you need to insert 'step'. Its like custom actions on steroids..

Here instructions how to create new cycle action from scratch:

https://goo.gl/CgwxFy
Old 03-11-2017, 05:19 PM   #14
Adralicus

Thanks for your help and for making the GIF. I managed to replicate it however it's not quite like the Samplitude function.

In Samplitude when you use the action "Play Selected Objects" which is Ctrl+Spacebar.
Whenever you use it, it will solo the selected objects and begin playback from the beginning of the first selected object to the left. But at any point if you hit the Spacebar which is for normal playback everything will unmute automatically.

So for example each time you use "play selected objects" the selected objects will be soloed. If you select some other objects they will be soloed and the previous ones not soloed. But you don't have to repeat that action to unsolo. Simply pressing spacebar will unsolo those objects and playback will continue as normal.

I'm sure it's possible to replicate this behaviour as the macro functions in Reaper nothing short of incredible.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:24 PM   #15
heda

@Adralicus
I have a script that you may find it useful
https://reaper.hector-corcin.com/app...selected-items

And I think I know how to add CTRL spacebar and spacebar to unsolo functionality you are describing.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #16
Adralicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
@Adralicus
I have a script that you may find it useful
https://reaper.hector-corcin.com/app...selected-items

And I think I know how to add CTRL spacebar and spacebar to unsolo functionality you are describing.
Thanks that looks really useful. Yes if you could work out how to add the extra functionality I need it would be brilliant
Old 03-12-2017, 01:45 AM   #17
Embass

Maybe this will do a job?

https://goo.gl/y9UkjQ

If so you need to:

1. Import this file in sws cycle editor. https://goo.gl/aDJL84

This file contains two actions:

PLAY ALL OR STOP (SPACE) ++
PLAY SELECTED ( CTRL + SPACE) ++

You can import file like this: https://goo.gl/ut9TwN

2. Close cycle editor and open action list. (Maybe you have to press apply in cycle editor not sure..) These two actions will be in action list.
Type 'space ++' in action list.. you should see these two actions.

PLAY ALL OR STOP (SPACE) ++
PLAY SELECTED ( CTRL + SPACE) ++

Assign keyboard shortcuts:

space --> PLAY ALL OR STOP (SPACE) ++
ctrl + space --> PLAY SELECTED ( CTRL + SPACE) ++

3. In order to toggle mute when you click on item you can do this.

https://goo.gl/Eg0vQd

You can use alt + click, shift + click etc.. if you don't like ctrl + alt..
Old 03-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #18
Adralicus

@Embass Thanks for taking the time to create that action it's doing exactly what I wanted except for one thing. When I press the Spacebar it stops play in Samplitude. But in the action you created I need to press the Spacebar twice in order to stop play. Is there a way around this?

Also one other thing is there a way to pass this Ctrl+Spacebar action through to the midi editor? Meaning that when the midi editor is in focus I can solo the midi using Ctrl + Spacebar? Sorry to be so OCD about it
Old 03-12-2017, 11:05 AM   #19
Embass

Open cycle editor and edit this action: PLAY ALL OR STOP (SPACE) ++

You need to add this action:
Transport: Play/stop

Or you can add this one if you want to stop at current playback position:
Transport: Play/pause

instructions: https://goo.gl/9FVRO9

Midi editor has seperate action list. Type 'preview' there are a lot of actions to choose from.. Maybe thats what you're looking for?
Old 03-12-2017, 11:44 AM   #20
Adralicus

Quote:
Open cycle editor and edit this action: PLAY ALL OR STOP (SPACE) ++

You need to add this action:
Transport: Play/stop

Or you can add this one if you want to stop at current playback position:
Transport: Play/pause

instructions: https://goo.gl/9FVRO9

Midi editor has seperate action list. Type 'preview' there are a lot of actions to choose from.. Maybe thats what you're looking for?
That's brilliant the action is working great now. Thanks so much your help is really appreciated!!
Old 03-27-2017, 10:53 AM   #21
grinder

Adralicus
May I take this opportunity to ask if you could comment a little on your version of Samplitude?
I have Reaper and do use this as my main DAW however I see Samplitude has many great instruments and also is a major DAW in it's own right.
I have Mixbus which I enjoy and like also.
What I would like is just a comment or two from one on the Reaper forum as to whether Samplitude prox 3 suite would be a great tool.
This DAW is $500 US at present as well.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:25 PM   #22
hopi

comment back to grinder.... having experienced them both, ...I'd offer for 500 bucks you could likely add some FX to reaper that you want...

Sampli is a kewl program, but unless there is something in it you just can't live without, Reaper is much more flexible for most needs.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:33 PM   #23
grinder

Thanks Hopi!

Grinder
Old 03-28-2017, 04:12 PM   #24
Adralicus

Samplitude is certainly great and very deep feature wise. Although many of my favourite features from Samplitude are gradually being implemented into Reaper. For example the Spectral Peaks and Spectrogram functions to name two. Although the Samplitude object editor is still unique in its own way. But one has to be impressed by the dedication and speed of development by the Reaper crew. Samplitude is still my main DAW although I always keep an eye on the latest Reaper builds to see what is happening. If a function isn't working as expected in Samplitude I usually try to replicate the same function in Reaper and generally it works. I've yet to finish a project in Reaper as I'm so familiar and comfortable working with Samplitude. But maybe in time when I've finally configured it to my liking I will do some composition in Reaper. Also if ARA is ever implemented in Reaper it might swing the balance even more.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:44 PM   #25
grinder

Many thanks Adralicus
Grinder
Old 06-14-2021, 02:16 PM   #26
McSound

Embass: Thanks a lot over the years!) I'm also a Samplitude user. Your actions works just fine, except I had to add "Unsolo all items" before restoring items mute status on stop playback. Without it it remembers solo status of selected items and next soloing could be not correct. Hope it helps someone)
Then I thought next: it would be very nice to make an improvement: if cursor position is before the first selected item or after the end of last selected item then go to start of selection? if not - play from current cursor position.
I understand it most likely not the case of cycle actions, but some scripting. I wish I would know lua, but nope yet)
Edit: Nevermind, I just made two actions, one plays from cursor, other plays from start of selected items)

Last edited by McSound; 06-18-2021 at 12:28 AM.
McSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:31 PM   #27
McSound

Hi to all Samplitude users (and not only) that want "Selected items only playback" function!
I've just modified the above mentioned cycle scripts so they behave like Samplitude in closest way. My modification has advanced features of not muting video items (so video items remain its mute states), playing ALL selected items even if they contain muted items and regardless of track solo-mute states.
Shift - plays from cursor position, Ctrl - from start of selected items.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D6D...ew?usp=sharing
Lets bring all the best functions from other DAWs to Reaper! ))

Last edited by McSound; 07-26-2021 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-17-2021, 09:41 PM   #28
zaibuyidao

Try this script:

zaibuyidao_Solo Item (Play From First Item Position).lua
https://github.com/zaibuyidao/ReaScr...0Position).lua

zaibuyidao_Solo Item (Play From Mouse Position).lua
https://github.com/zaibuyidao/ReaScr...0Position).lua

Or

Add my Reapack repository:
https://github.com/zaibuyidao/ReaScr...ster/index.xml
zaibuyidao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:47 PM   #29
McSound

Those are really good scripts, much faster than cycle actions. I’ll make use of them. Thanks a lot, zaibuyidao!

Edit: Also I've found this : "SWS/BR: Play from mouse cursor position and solo active item's track for the duration (perform until shortcut released)"
It's for single item only, though very fast any easy way of soloing even muted item.

Last edited by McSound; 10-03-2021 at 05:27 AM.
Old 10-04-2021, 12:00 PM   #30
zaibuyidao

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSound View Post
Those are really good scripts, much faster than cycle actions. I’ll make use of them. Thanks a lot, zaibuyidao!

Edit: Also I've found this : "SWS/BR: Play from mouse cursor position and solo active item's track for the duration (perform until shortcut released)"
It's for single item only, though very fast any easy way of soloing even muted item.
Yes, I improved this and uploaded more scripts. All solo item scripts are applicable to multiple items, and smart solo is realized. Please refer to the picture for the name of the script. It is recommended to use the script named (Perform Until Shortcut Released). I have used them to replace "SWS/BR: Play from mouse cursor position and solo active item's track for the duration (perform until shortcut released)"

solo track reference:

Recommended to use:
zaibuyidao_Solo Item Play From Mouse Position (Perform Until Shortcut Released).lua

It is recommended to make the script into a toolbar button to facilitate enabling and disabling. If you are a win system user, then you need to bind the specified virtual key to the action: No-op (no action), so that the system's alarm sound will not be triggered.

Last edited by zaibuyidao; 10-04-2021 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-07-2021, 04:13 AM   #31
McSound

I assigned a key to "zaibuyidao_Solo Item Play From Mouse Position (Perform Until Shortcut Released)" script. But when I hold it, it only shows me the window on attached picture. "Play from cursor" works as expected. And also I don't know what key I should bind? ("bind the specified virtual key to the action: No-op (no action)")
Attached Images
File Type: png 41.png (5.4 KB, 72 views)
Old 10-07-2021, 06:24 PM   #32
zaibuyidao

Quote:
I assigned a key to "zaibuyidao_Solo Item Play From Mouse Position (Perform Until Shortcut Released)" script. But when I hold it, it only shows me the window on attached picture. "Play from cursor" works as expected. And also I don't know what key I should bind? ("bind the specified virtual key to the action: No-op (no action)")
After running the script, you will be prompted to select a Virtual Key(shortcut). Remember this Key, it is the one that controls the SOLO.

If your SOLO shortcut triggers the OS system alert tone, then you need to bind the shortcut to a null command, i.e. action: No-op (no action)

--

You may have bound the script to a shortcut key, but in reality the script's shortcut key is only used as a switch. If the script is bound to a shortcut key and the script is triggered continuously, a ""ReaScript task control"" pop-up will appear and you can select "Remember my answer ..." and click "Terminate". " and click "Terminate instances". Since scripting is a switch, the scripting shortcut should be used by pressing once to enable and then once to disable. So, you can also create a toolbar button for the script.

--

If you want to change the virtual keys, find reaper-extstate.ini in the REAPER folder, find and delete:
[SoloItemPlayFromMousePosition]
VirtualKey=the virtual key you set

Then re-run the script and you will be prompted to set the virtual key.

Last edited by zaibuyidao; 10-07-2021 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-09-2021, 01:30 AM   #33
McSound

Yes, fugured it out finally! "From mouse cursor" works as expected. Good work zaibuyidao! Your script has no troubles that my cycle actions have. Thank a lot! I'll make a donation soon.
One more question. I made a button for turning on the script. It's in off status though when Reaper starts. How can I make it ON by default?

To everyone who wants Samplitude solo-selected-items-play-only function: Zaibayidao scripts works in an even more handy way than Samplitude's one! Highly recommended!

Last edited by McSound; 10-09-2021 at 04:10 AM.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:34 AM   #34
zaibuyidao

Quote:
One more question. I made a button for turning on the script. It's in off status though when Reaper starts. How can I make it ON by default?
You can use the SWS global startup action to run the script automatically when REAPER starts.

Copy the script ID and paste it here

Quote:
Yes, fugured it out finally! "From mouse cursor" works as expected. Good work zaibuyidao! Your script has no troubles that my cycle actions have. Thank a lot! I'll make a donation soon.
I'm glad the script worked for you, and thank you so much for your support!

Last edited by zaibuyidao; 10-09-2021 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-09-2021, 08:19 PM   #35
McSound

zaibuyidao, I sent a PM to you but it seems didn’t get you. How can I contact you?
Old 10-10-2021, 12:25 AM   #36
zaibuyidao

Quote:
zaibuyidao, I sent a PM to you but it seems didn’t get you. How can I contact you?
Ok, I've replied to you, please check PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:45 PM   #37
hopi

maybe I've missed it but...

think we could use an action that would toggle solo on all selected items across all tracks...

you see what I'm saying?