Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-27-2021, 01:37 AM   #1
Lophophora
Human being with feelings

Default How do you read metadata embedded by Reaper?

When I embed metadata with Reaper, none of it is seen by Windows Explorer, Groove Music, VLC Media Player, Windows Media Player or even Sonoris ISRC Editor.

Even inside Reaper, if I open a wav file in which I had previously embedded metadata (ISCR, title, artist name...), when I open the audio item properties and check "properties" in the "take media source", the "metadata" field only shows a date, nothing else.

It's a bit frustrating. Is there a simple way to read metadata that has been embedded with Reaper?
Old 07-27-2021, 05:36 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

If REAPER itself isn't displaying the metadata, it sounds like it's not actually being embedded in the first place. What exactly are you doing to embed the metadata?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:29 AM   #3
TomL

When I started using Reaper a few months back just about the first thing i did was render some wav files and write the isrc to the header. It shows up okay when I check it in other programmes Although I don't think I checked if it showed up in Reaper.
TomL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:49 AM   #4
Philbo King

I do tagging as a final step before release, rather than using Reapers tagging at render time or the Media Explorer tagger. This allows me to ensure that all rendered files are tagged the same way at the same time, whether bwf, wav, flac or mp3 (etc.), in a single window.

It also saves a lot of time, since tagging only happens once, and only on files the client has approved for release.

I use this one:
https://kid3.kde.org/

If you want to verify the tags after, VLC or foobar2000 is very good. But I've found Kid3 is pretty bulletproof, fast and easy, and so I no longer need to use another app to verify the tags.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:16 AM   #5
Lophophora

Yeah, I was probably tired when I tried this yesterday and got frustrated for nothing. Tried it again today and everything works as expected: metadata is read correctly in the audio item properties by Reaper.

I did upgrade to 6.33 in between but I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with it.

Thanks anyway.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:06 AM   #6
simonoflegend

Default DISPLAY METADATA IN MEDIA EXPLORER

You can now add User Columns to Reaper Media Explorer.
The User column can be configured to display any of the Metadata fields.
Once you have added the User Column you want to Media Explorer. Select the files you want to read the Metadata and Right Click to rescan them. Any metadata embedded in the files will appear, in the approiate user column.
simonoflegend is offline   Reply With Quote