Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 04-08-2022, 04:21 AM   #1
BenjyO
Human being with feelings

Default [6.55] Flickering waveforms appearing in razor edits in envelope lane(s) (FIXED)

EDIT: Ranamed the thread because the issue reappeared in 6.55.
Original post's title:
"[6.53] Flickering waveforms appearing in razor edits in envelope lane(s)"

Original post:

Please see the gif below for a first impression:

This issue can tax performance of the whole GUI when you have a lot of razor edits in the envelope lane(s). I experienced significant GUI lags because of this and it can be annoying.

Here's, what I'm doing, my workflow and why this issue matters to me:
I'm editing an audiobook where I listen to the audio and while listening I make razor edits on the media item line (usually on silent parts which I want to shorten). These edits I eventually cut out using the "Item: Cut selected area of items" action while having ripple editing enabled so that later items close the gaps. I also have a volume-pre FX envelope opened where I also make draw razor edits while listening (in the same listening pass). In these edits I eventually lower the volume envelope down. After I do that, I delete all envelope razor edits for the selected track (with a script) and then I use the above-mentioned action to delete contents of the remaining razor edits in the media item lane. When I do that a couple of times, the issue as demonstrated in the gif above starts to happen and compounds the longer my listening passes are and the more razor edits I have in the envelope lane(s).

Steps to reproduce:
1. Load up an item on a track.
2. Enable loop source.
3. Extend the item for 10 minutes for example.
4. Enable ripple editing.
5. Open any kind of envelope for that track (I use the volume pre-fx but it happens with others too).
5. Draw a dozen razor edits over the media item (not on the envelope lane yet) and then use the action "Item: Cut selected area of items".
6. Now start drawing razor edits on the envelope lane. Don't draw just one or a few, but a dozen or a few dozen. Try to lower or raise the envelope segment in one of these edits.
7. Zoom out and in a bit - that's when the glitches usually start to appear.
8. If they don't appear yet, repeat steps 5, 6 and 7 one or two more times.

I couldn't reproduce the issue if I skipped step 4 meaning later items/portions of items weren't moved forward. I believe that the issue is somehow connected to that.

As mentioned above, this usually happens only after a significant number of razor edits are drawn. I'd like to keep this workflow because it allows me to work in longer uninterrupted passes and then in one fell swoop I edit envelopes and/or shorten audio segments.

Edit: I forgot to mention: There's an intersting thing that happens in the gif - When I draw a razor edit in the media item lane that's contiguous to one of those in the envelope lane, the flickering stops but when I delete it, it resumes.

Last edited by BenjyO; 04-25-2022 at 12:08 AM.
BenjyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:40 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

Thank you for the excellent bug report, fixing!
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 07:10 AM   #3
BenjyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Thank you for the excellent bug report, fixing!
Thank you!
Old 04-24-2022, 11:50 PM   #4
BenjyO

I'm on 6.55 now and unfortunately this problem is back:

For what it's worth: I'm working with very long .wav files (dialogue that was recorded in one take) and this particular file is approx. 1h50min long. I have done hundreds of edits in the manner described above.

I'll try to replicate the bug with a fresh project and report back.
Old 04-25-2022, 12:04 AM   #5
BenjyO

Ok. I succesfully replicated the bug with a fresh project:
1. I imported a .wav file that is 5 min long.
2. Enabled loop source and "stretched" it to about 2 hours.
3. Inserted around 70 razor edits on the media item lane (short edits that are the length of silences in between sentences)
4. Enabled ripple editing.
5. Used the "Item: Cut selected area of items" action.
6. Started drawing razor edits (a couple dozen) in the Volume (Pre-FX) envelope lane and the flickering appears again.

So the steps to reproduce are pretty much the same as written in my initial post.

Last edited by BenjyO; 04-25-2022 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Forgot to add the "ripple editing enable" step
Old 04-25-2022, 01:00 AM   #6
BenjyO

Just tested on a portable install of 6.54 and I could reproduce it there too. It looks like I missed it in 6.54. So this bug is still with us

I'll gladly provide any more information if needed to fix this.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:13 AM   #7
schwa
Administrator

This was never easy to reproduce, but I'm not able to reproduce it at all on 6.54 or later.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:30 AM   #8
BenjyO

I'm sending a project prepared with a portable 6.54 install (included is a short audio sample made with ReaSynth). It is chopped up already in the manner I described and razor edits are drawn in the Volume (Pre-FX) envelope. I can also send the Reaper.ini and configuration files if necessary but I only added a few shortcuts to quickly reproduce the bug so it's pretty much a stock install.

I also figured out a couple of new things:
1. I realized that it's actually flickering only when I move the mouse cursor in the envelope lane or scroll horizontally while the mouse cursor is in the envelope lane. When I stop moving the mouse, it stops flickering but the incorrect "shadow waveform" is still drawn there in the razor edit areas:

I also found out that if I save that project when it's "flickering" already and then reload it, the issue is gone. Then if I start scrolling horizontally and zooming in and out horizontally repeatedly, it starts to appear again (without drawing any new razor edits). It seems to only appear at certain horizontal zoom levels and/or horizontal scroll positions. If I leave it at that particular scroll position and horizontal zoom level, it will be there even if I minimize and reopen the window. If I scroll vertically so that the envelope lane goes out of view and then scroll back, the issue disappears but I can retrigger it again via horizontal scrolling/zooming. This leads me to conclude that the issue is not related to some exact scroll/zoom position but rather that it's relative to previous scroll/zoom positions ... If that makes any sense.

I also noticed that zooming with the "View: Zoom in horizontal" doesn't trigger the flickering (maybe because it zooms much more coarsely), but zooming with "View: Zoom horizontally (MIDI CC relative/mousewheel)" does. I use the latter action in my workflow but tested the former just in case.

For what it's worth: I use a trackpad on a laptop (64 bit Windows 10 machine) for zooming/scrolling. The scrolling is bound to "HorizWheel" and zooming is bound to "Ctrl + HorizWheel". When I'm working I have a finger on the Ctrl key and I scroll by sliding two fingers horizontally across the trackpad and when I want to zoom I press the Ctrl key but I keep sliding the fingers on the same axis across the trackpad.

Summary: It seems the "shadow waveform" (with flickering while moving the mouse cursor in the envelope lane) only appears at certain horizontal scroll/zoom positions and these are not always the same.
Attached Files
File Type: zip flicker test.zip (301.0 KB, 148 views)
Old 05-15-2022, 11:58 PM   #9
BenjyO

I kindly ask you to take another look at this bug if possible. It's killing my workflow. Now, after probably a thousand or more small ripple edits done to the project, if I draw a single razor edit on the Volume Pre-FX envelope the whole UI starts lagging significantly.

Also, what about the project provided in my last thread? Was it of any use?

I'm on v6.57 now but it was present on v6.56 too.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:44 AM   #10
schwa
Administrator

This bug is very difficult to reproduce but I think it should be fixed for the next build, 6.58rc2.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:50 PM   #11
BenjyO

Thank you. I appreciate your effort and I understand. I'll be sure to test it.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:53 AM   #12
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjyO View Post
Ok. I succesfully replicated the bug with a fresh project:
1. I imported a .wav file that is 5 min long.
2. Enabled loop source and "stretched" it to about 2 hours.
3. Inserted around 70 razor edits on the media item lane (short edits that are the length of silences in between sentences)
4. Enabled ripple editing.
5. Used the "Item: Cut selected area of items" action.
6. Started drawing razor edits (a couple dozen) in the Volume (Pre-FX) envelope lane and the flickering appears again.

So the steps to reproduce are pretty much the same as written in my initial post.
If you save the project following step 5, quit REAPER, re-open REAPER, load the project, can you reproduce starting at step 6?

If so: give us the .rpp!

In either case: reaper.ini would also be good.

Last edited by Justin; 05-17-2022 at 09:27 AM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:33 AM   #13
BenjyO

Thank you for persisting. Yes, I can reproduce it that way too. Sending the .rpp and reaper.ini in the attachment.

Btw, do you need the audio file too?
Attached Files
File Type: rpp Razor edit flickering test.rpp (58.0 KB, 204 views)
File Type: ini REAPER.ini (49.9 KB, 151 views)
Old 05-17-2022, 12:01 PM   #14
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjyO View Post
Thank you for persisting. Yes, I can reproduce it that way too. Sending the .rpp and reaper.ini in the attachment.

Btw, do you need the audio file too?
(media shouldn't be necessary) Thanks! So load that, then create a couple dozen razor edit selections in the envelope lane?
Old 05-17-2022, 12:12 PM   #15
BenjyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
(media shouldn't be necessary) Thanks! So load that, then create a couple dozen razor edit selections in the envelope lane?
Yes. Sometimes they appear after only a couple are drawn, but sometimes I really have to draw a couple dozen. You'll also have to zoom in and out and scroll horizontally a lot (I suggest using the mousewheel because I couldn't reproduce it with the normal keys actions such as "View: Zoom in horizontal") while having at least one of the razor edits in view and if there is none, draw them. I hope you can do it

Edit: I also use this action so I can draw them quicker: Set default mouse modifier action for "Arrange view right drag" to "Add to razor edit area ignoring snap"

Edit 2: Here's an example gif (with some accidental menu clicks). It took around 50 seconds to trigger it:

Last edited by BenjyO; 05-17-2022 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-17-2022, 01:38 PM   #16
Justin
Administrator

and once you get it to flicker, if you save the project and reload, does it still flicker?

How about if you add another razor edit, then undo that addition?
Old 05-17-2022, 02:29 PM   #17
Justin
Administrator

ah found the root of the problem, will be fixed in 6.58rc4!

Last edited by Justin; 05-17-2022 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:27 PM   #18
BenjyO

Tested 6.58rc4 thoroughly and I couldn't reproduce it anymore. Thank you! I'm really glad too see this bug squashed