Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 07-06-2021, 10:56 AM   #1
chmaha
Human being with feelings

Default [ARCHIVED] Pro Audio on Manjaro (and other Arch-based) Setup Guide

EDIT: This guide has now been archived. Visit https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=277496 for discussion of the vanilla Arch-based guide or directly at https://github.com/chmaha/ArchProAudio

I've been meaning to write a setup guide for getting low-latency professional audio on Manjaro and after a bit of procrastination, here it is:

https://github.com/chmaha/ManjaroProAudio

It will be an ongoing exercise as I fill in detail etc. In this initial state, I simply documented every step I took getting a vanilla Manjaro install ready for my usual audio work.

Feedback welcome!

Last edited by chmaha; 03-25-2023 at 02:40 AM.
chmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:35 PM   #2
citizenkeith

Thank you! Once I get Manjaro and Windows 10 running side by side (I've come up against some issues that I am documenting in another thread), I'll be sure to follow your instructions. I'm especially keen on getting yabridge running...
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:33 PM   #3
mike@overtonedsp

I think its important to point out to potential new users that while these are things you can do - just like you can fine tune Windows systems for audio - they are not things you necessarily have to do in order to get setup for (pro)audio on Linux. After all

Code:
git clone https://github.com/  ...
might not be the ideal introduction to what Linux can offer for potential converts from other operating systems.

Fortunately a stock distro with no custom tweaks (I use an Ubuntu LTS) and Reaper for Linux is likely all you you need to get going, with audio performance at least equal to if not better than other OS. The good news is that with Linux if there are improvements you think might be necessary once its up and running, then - as the setup guide illustrates - there are plenty of options.
mike@overtonedsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 02:46 PM   #4
JamesPeters

I agree with Mike that while having that info all in one place (and updated) is good, most of these tweaks probably aren't necessary for most people. Here are a few which I found important for low-latency audio in Reaper (or other DAW), probably for anyone:

1) Use a realtime or low-latency kernel (Manjaro by default now has a low-latency kernel anyway)

2) CPU governor set to performance

3) for USB audio devices, disable USB_autosuspend so they don't glitch out when using ALSA

And for Manjaro specifically, for now (until the bug is fixed):

Code:
sudo systemctl enable fstrim.timer
It's disabled by default which isn't great idea for SSDs. It's a known bug.

Of course once you install Wine and Yabridge, there are more considerations. If you plan to use Jack and run multiple applications together, there are even more considerations. It'd be nice for people to know it doesn't have to be complicated to set up a distro for audio use, that mostly you'd do the same things you'd do in other OSes (#2 and #3 above), and from there, it depends. It'd be great if it were organized like that (basic necessities for low-latency stability in a DAW, considerations when using Jack, and considerations when using Yabridge/Wine).

I admire your effort, but be prepared to stay on top of it. Some of that info is bound to need updating, and probably sooner than later.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:03 PM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
And for Manjaro specifically, for now (until the bug is fixed):

Code:
sudo systemctl enable fstrim.timer
It's disabled by default which isn't great idea for SSDs. It's a known bug.
On my fresh new installation of Manjaro, issuing the following command,

systemctl status fstrim.timer

Comes back with this, and I didn't enable it myself.

fstrim.timer - Discard unused blocks once a week
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/fstrim.timer; disabled; vendor pre>
Active: inactive (dead)
Trigger: n/a
Triggers: fstrim.service
Docs: man:fstrim

Edit: Hmmm, looks like trim is maybe not needed on my new NVMe M.2 drive. Will have to do more digging.

Last edited by Glennbo; 07-07-2021 at 03:13 PM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:29 AM   #6
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Will Mankato support ieee1394 devices? Using ffado?
Bjorn.LaSanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:33 AM   #7
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

See OpenSUSE should have something like this.
Bjorn.LaSanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:56 PM   #8
krahosk

Thank you for the guide, BethHarmon!
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 02:35 AM   #9
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
Thank you for the guide, BethHarmon!
You are very welcome!
Old 07-11-2021, 02:42 AM   #10
chmaha

Quote:
I admire your effort
Why, thank you!

Quote:
…but be prepared to stay on top of it. Some of that info is bound to need updating, and probably sooner than later.
The good news is that if I miss something that changes (quite possible since I'm no longer distro-hopping and setting up a new system regularly), anyone interested can post an issue as and when things crop up. There's nothing like encouraging community action
Old 07-11-2021, 07:05 PM   #11
babag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn.LaSanche View Post
Will Mankato support ieee1394 devices? Using ffado?
don't know about ffado. i just did a fresh install of manjaro and downloaded reaper. setting reaper to use alsa let me pick and use my saffire pro 40, which is fw.

thanks,
babag
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:05 AM   #12
ivansc

@BethHarmon: Does your set of instructions allow for installing wine, etc too?

P.S. Thanks for this help!
Old 07-19-2021, 06:40 AM   #13
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
@BethHarmon: Does your set of instructions allow for installing wine, etc too?

P.S. Thanks for this help!
The page aint that long!

I just had a quick look, the instructions are a short page. Wine and Yabridge are mentioned towards the bottom. Step 11. Last step.

All steps seem short, clear, concise. Thanks to BethHarmon! This should help me out greatly.

Last edited by maxdembo; 07-19-2021 at 06:47 AM.
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:11 PM   #14
maxdembo

Manjaro downloaded. I'll give this a whirl on the RPi4 later...
Old 07-20-2021, 02:30 PM   #15
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
Manjaro downloaded. I'll give this a whirl on the RPi4 later...
Best of luck!
Old 07-20-2021, 07:48 PM   #16
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
Best of luck!
Thanks!

Installed.

Manjaro seems a lot more user friendly than the Pi OS. Not having to use Terminal to update everything is already very handy.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:11 PM   #17
JamesPeters

@Beth:

You might be aware of this already, if you're still in the process of adding content to your guide. If not though, just in case:

Step 4 in your guide is missing information. Your step has the user loading an editor, doing nothing, then updating grub.

What's needed:

Quote:
To load the kernel with the threadirqs option, edit /etc/default/grub and change the line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="threadirqs"

Then run update-grub with super-user privileges.
Also it seems step 5 (ii) has a similar omission.

I'd recommend an addition to your guide: disable usb_autosuspend if you're using a USB audio device. It's critical for many devices, including but not limited to Focusrite Scarlett 3rd generation (the current models). I use TLP to set that parameter (in etc/tlp.conf: USB_AUTOSUSPEND="0")

It might also be handy to explain how to add a user to the realtime group.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 07-22-2021 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:46 PM   #18
daniel88v8

should i install this real time kernel?
https://imgur.com/m8mkodC.png
daniel88v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:07 AM   #19
maxdembo

Quote:
1) Use a realtime or low-latency kernel (Manjaro by default now has a low-latency kernel anyway)
Genuine question... Considering the above quote, what would be the point in installing a different low latency kernel?
Old 07-23-2021, 07:26 AM   #20
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
Genuine question... Considering the above quote, what would be the point in installing a different low latency kernel?
I ran the kernel that Manjaro installed by default until I had been updated so many times that Manjaro kept notifying me that I should get a newer kernel, so I chose the newest one that was not realtime or experimental, and all is well.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:15 PM   #21
maxdembo

So kernels can be out of date, and dont get updated with other updates the OS puts out, and need to be updated separately. OK.

Still learning here
Old 07-23-2021, 06:49 PM   #22
JamesPeters

It's a bit weird, but other OSes will update parts of their "kernel" too, or not. It's a bit more transparent with Linux and you have the option to update/upgrade or not. That's the real difference.

If you use an LTS kernel (long-term support), you'll get what's considered critical updates to it. People who are concerned about "stability" will stick with an LTS kernel, choosing to only change what's considered necessary. If you look for changelogs for kernels, 5.10 has a changelog and the newer ones don't. That's since the other ones are just kind of "abandoned" in development as a newer version comes out. You get the new kernel, or stick with the current one...but you're not getting bugfixes for that non-LTS kernel until you update to a new one. Getting LTS kernel updates, compared to installing a new non-LTS kernel to get bugfixes, the difference might not be that much. It's probably a larger download the latter way, with more potential for problems (technically speaking), but it hasn't caused me an issue yet.

I currently use the latest experimental kernel because it has full support for Focusrite Scarlett device functionality. 5.13 and below don't (and won't, even the LTS version). Normally I use the latest non-experimental kernel to get whatever new stuff it has, whether I think I need it or not. I'm not worried about rolling back a kernel if I have to; I can keep an older kernel installed and switch back to it from the boot menu if I need to. (Currently I have 5.13 as my backup kernel, since it was working fine for me before I switched to 5.14 rc1.)

Realtime kernels lag behind the rest, but not so far at least in Manjaro. If the RT kernel offered a performance increase I could reliably notice, I'd switch to it again. The default kernel in Manjaro is low latency though, and it seems to perform approximately the same. So I move on to later kernels and leave the "old" ones behind including the RT ones.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:58 PM   #23
maxdembo

Quote:
It's a bit weird, but other OSes will update parts of their "kernel" too, or not. It's a bit more transparent with Linux and you have the option to update/upgrade or not. That's the real difference.

If you use an LTS kernel (long-term support), you'll get what's considered critical updates to it. People who are concerned about "stability" will stick with an LTS kernel, choosing to only change what's considered necessary. If you look for changelogs for kernels, 5.10 has a changelog and the newer ones don't. That's since the other ones are just kind of "abandoned" in development as a newer version comes out. You get the new kernel, or stick with the current one...but you're not getting bugfixes for that non-LTS kernel until you update to a new one. Getting LTS kernel updates, compared to installing a new non-LTS kernel to get bugfixes, the difference might not be that much. It's probably a larger download the latter way, with more potential for problems (technically speaking), but it hasn't caused me an issue yet.

I currently use the latest experimental kernel because it has full support for Focusrite Scarlett device functionality. 5.13 and below don't (and won't, even the LTS version). Normally I use the latest non-experimental kernel to get whatever new stuff it has, whether I think I need it or not. I'm not worried about rolling back a kernel if I have to; I can keep an older kernel installed and switch back to it from the boot menu if I need to. (Currently I have 5.13 as my backup kernel, since it was working fine for me before I switched to 5.14 rc1.)

Realtime kernels lag behind the rest, but not so far at least in Manjaro. If the RT kernel offered a performance increase I could reliably notice, I'd switch to it again. The default kernel in Manjaro is low latency though, and it seems to perform approximately the same. So I move on to later kernels and leave the "old" ones behind including the RT ones.
Understood, thanks muchly
Old 07-24-2021, 02:56 AM   #24
chmaha

Quote:
@Beth:

You might be aware of this already, if you're still in the process of adding content to your guide. If not though, just in case:

Step 4 in your guide is missing information. Your step has the user loading an editor, doing nothing, then updating grub.

What's needed:

Also it seems step 5 (ii) has a similar omission.

I'd recommend an addition to your guide: disable usb_autosuspend if you're using a USB audio device. It's critical for many devices, including but not limited to Focusrite Scarlett 3rd generation (the current models). I use TLP to set that parameter (in etc/tlp.conf: USB_AUTOSUSPEND="0")

It might also be handy to explain how to add a user to the realtime group.
Done. Thanks so much. If you have any other suggestions do add them as an issue on Github as I'm not checking the REAPER forums very much these days other than to monitor pre-release chat. As for the USB autosuspend thingy I'll have to investigate further. I haven't needed it at all and I actually found I got better battery uninstalling TLP (strange but true).
Old 07-24-2021, 08:05 AM   #25
JamesPeters

I'm sure it won't be needed for every USB audio device, but this is a well known thing for other OSes too. It should be included in the guide and if you want, with a note about how it can decrease battery power of a laptop but can be important to prevent periodic dropouts (so a person can be aware what to look for if they choose to avoid the step).
Old 07-24-2021, 08:55 PM   #26
4duhwinnn

If someone has a spare few minutes, could you try to install Rakarrack, or 'Rakarrack +' multi-effects, and timemachine jackd-based audio recorder in an Arch or Arch spinoff? Or relate applicable success stories? These may be old or odd, but I'd like to use them in arch based Garuda linux, but using bauh package manager, there are compiling issues. I promise to be nice to old feral cats and French Poodles, for a whole year, if I can get these working!

http://rakarrack.sourceforge.net/dl.html

https://github.com/dtimms/rakarrack

https://github.com/Stazed/rakarrack-plus

https://github.com/swh/timemachine
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:13 AM   #27
maxdembo

Making my way thru this, and as an almost complete novice, with no idea what half the instructions mean, or are, its been confusing but I've progressed.

There are a few steps that I'm still a bit confused about, but I'll give it all another go and ask my stupid questions afterwards
Old 08-01-2021, 02:08 AM   #28
chmaha

I'll check back in soon to see if I can answer your questions.

FYI, I added wine-staging installation above the alternative wine-tkg install. Wine-staging might be my new preferred option given ease of install and the fact that it seems to have had a dramatic and positive effect on REAPER's offline rendering speeds while using WinVSTs. That part needs further investigation though.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:52 AM   #29
maxdembo

Nice one, thanks.

I came back to it with a fresh head today and figured loads of stuff out. I am question free atm

And then my keyboard died, going back to it in a bit.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:58 AM   #30
ivansc

Another big thank you, Beth. I have been busy on other things but am now going to have a go at installing Manjaro with your help.

Much appreciated.
Old 08-28-2021, 04:04 AM   #31
Pinknoise

Any reason why KDE over XFCE ? Is it audio related or just preference ?
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 11:52 AM   #32
chmaha

Not really. I've tried both and find KDE/Plasma a better overall experience. I was a long-time XFCE user on MXLinux thinking that KDE was a resource hog but that's really not the case these days.
Old 08-29-2021, 02:05 AM   #33
gopalito

thank you, very usefull !!
until last week i use linux mint, but now thanks to you i have a better experience on manjaroo !
gopalito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 11:44 AM   #34
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalito View Post
thank you, very usefull !!
until last week i use linux mint, but now thanks to you i have a better experience on manjaroo !
So glad to hear it. I started using Manjaro after interacting with robbert-vdh. Package management seems like it's in a different class. In my view, once you try yay and AUR there's no going back.

I have every confidence that my distro-hopping has come to an end The only other distro I might try down the road is Arch but I'm in no hurry and only if Manjaro disappears.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:15 PM   #35
MusicMan74

Hi Beth,

THANK YOU for creating and sharing the 'Pro Audio in Manjaro' guide.
I was able to successfully run Reaper with some Windows VSTi's! So cool!

I am a linux newbie and have some feedback and questions from this newbie perspective:

IMHO, it's not obvious that one needs to run the 'Konsole' app to execute the commands given.

STEP #2:
./realtimeconfigquickscan
did not work for me; but the following did:
perl ./realTimeConfigQuickScan.pl

Reported 3 'not goods':
i) ..in the audio group (addressed after all steps performed)
ii) ...prioritize processes with chrt (addressed after all steps performed)
iii) ...kernel with Real-Time Preeemption (still reports this after all steps, is this OK?)

STEP #3
it's not obvious that 'yay' needs to be installed, which I did via the 'Add/Remove Software' tool

STEP #6
a) is '/etc/sysctl.d/99-sysctl.conf' expected to be empty?
it was for me and it felt like I had done something wrong...
b) it is not clear if the string to add includes the double quotes (I did not include them, maybe a lucky guess)

STEP #8
make install
- did not work for me; I had to change to
sudo make install
- also, I was asked to change make to qmake, which I answered NO

STEP #10
- it is not obvious that Jack needs to be running (qjackctl -> Start) for Reaper to recognize

STEP #11
- it is not obvious that 'winecfg' needs to be run after installing wine-staging so that the
'/home/$USER/.wine' folder (and its subfolders) are created;
these paths are referenced in the yabridge usage instructions

- as of this writing, wine staging needs to be downgraded to v6.14 per
https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge#tested-with which states there are incompatibilities with v6.15 and v6.16.

Downgrading (per https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabri...wngrading-wine) involves:

a) installing 'Downgrade' (which I did via 'Add/Remove Software' tool), then
b) sudo env DOWNGRADE_FROM_ALA=1 downgrade wine-staging

Last edited by MusicMan74; 09-02-2021 at 05:29 AM.
MusicMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:56 PM   #36
chmaha

Thanks for these comments. As it turns out, I have just had to do a fresh install of Manjaro KDE so will follow my own guide from start to finish to see what happens. If something doesn't work, I will be sure to fix it.

For now:

1) I've always run ./realtimeconfigquickscan with zero problems.

2) winecfg doesn't need to be run at all. Whatever executable runs will invoke all the config stuff. That has been my experience, at least.

3) As for your remaining "not good" in the realtimeconfigquickscan, you need to look at step 4 again and check threadirqs is where it should be in the grub file. You might also be running a kernel that doesn't have that flag enabled. Have you tried the latest kernel? I remember there was a weird omission with the LTS release not too long ago.
Old 09-02-2021, 02:01 PM   #37
chmaha

Fixed some typos and added some more info. In step #2, for example, it should read ./realtimeconfigquickscan.pl to execute the script (definitely no perl needed in front in that case).

EDIT: I've run through the list and everything works as intended including realtimeconfigquickscan being entirely satisfied. As noted above, I've fixed some small typos and added some extra information for certain steps (for example, using downgrade to install wine-staging v6.14).

https://i.imgur.com/ibbM28B.png

I'm on Manjaro "Pahvo" 21.1.1 (KDE) running the 5.13.12-1 kernel.

Last edited by chmaha; 09-02-2021 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:28 AM   #38
JamesPeters

Note: kernel 5.14 is now officially released, out of RC status. Like the RCs though, fsync is currently disabled for some reason. Robbert van der Helm (Yabridge) found the line in the kernel which has this feature disabled, reported the issue, and provided the following info for anyone wanting to enable fsync:

Quote:
In case you need it, this is the Manjaro 5.14.2 kernel with fsync support I built (keep in mind it will be replaced during a system upgrade whenever kernel 5.14.2 or 5.14.1-2 gets released which may or may not also have the fsync patch enabled):
Code:
curl -o linux514-5.14.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst -L https://files.catbox.moe/hqeyjc.zst

echo '9a41eadd529bc4d4885ec12bf471a540241790d66251e43c1eb3e1811d75e472  linux514-5.14.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' | sha256sum -c && sudo pacman -U linux514-5.14.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
I'll delete this post once this issue has been resolved, but for now I figure this might be the best place to leave this info for anyone searching for it.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:02 AM   #39
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Note: kernel 5.14 is now officially released, out of RC status. Like the RCs though, fsync is currently disabled for some reason. Robbert van der Helm (Yabridge) found the line in the kernel which has this feature disabled, reported the issue, and provided the following info for anyone wanting to enable fsync:

Code:
curl -o linux514-5.14.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst -L https://files.catbox.moe/hqeyjc.zst

echo '9a41eadd529bc4d4885ec12bf471a540241790d66251e43c1eb3e1811d75e472  linux514-5.14.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' | sha256sum -c && sudo pacman -U linux514-5.14.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
I'll delete this post once this issue has been resolved, but for now I figure this might be the best place to leave this info for anyone searching for it.

Thanks so much, James! Still on 5.10, but itś very useful to have this info available...

I see now that the Add/Remove Software offers me an update of the 5.10 series, not the 5.14 one. In this case, it's much better to avoid the hassle, but, is it normal? And, apart from the fsync issue, am I missing something of real importance by staying on 5.10? I'm not updating the system quite often, really, and I prefer to do it from time to time, only when I see it really needs it...

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 09-05-2021 at 11:08 AM.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:17 AM   #40
chmaha

Quote:
Honestly, since the various recent wine breakages, I've been generally running old versions of wine-staging (currently on 6.14) instead of wine-tkg-git (therefore no fsync) and I've not been noticing any difference in performance on my machines. I used to think it was a make-or-break thing but my winVSTs seem to run just the same.