Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 07-27-2017, 06:32 AM   #1
Rusty Falcon
Human being with feelings

Default PA bx_console_e vs Reaper track channel counts ?

I'm demo'ing the new Plugin Alliance "bx_console_e" plugin which emulates an SSL 4000E channel with some interesting twists. One of the twists is TMT. TMT gives the plugins in a project a 72 channel pool of individual channel variances to pull from in order to give each instance of bx_console_e unique differences. It seems to let the mix overall have a bit more depth and width, reproducing how channel strips in an analog console all are unique in some fashion.

Multiple formats are provided including VST2 and VST3. A single plugin variant is provided per format that attempts to automatically configure as 'one channel' mono or 'two channel' stereo with options to link as if the two channels were adjacent on an SSL. This channel configuration appears to be based off inferred track channel count in the DAW. I've read comments that it works fine in Logic and PT but my issue is in Reaper (of course!)

You know Reaper requires minimum of two channels per track and can add more per track. For example if you are sidechaining into a track, you'll add channels 3/4 for the incoming sidechain.

So when you insert bx_console_e into Reaper tracks:

On a normal two channel (chan 1/2) Reaper track:
- VST2 version instantiates 'two channel' as expected
- VST3 version instantiates 'two channel' as expected

On a multichannel (chan 1/2/3/4) track:
- VST2 version instantiates 'two channel' as expected
- VST3 version instantiates 'one channel' INCORRECTLY
- Linked screencap shows the behavior

Track pan mode settings have no effect on the plugin behavior, which sort of makes sense because pan mode doesn't change track channel count.

If I drag an instance of the VST3 showing 'one channel' to another track, it will cause Reaper to add channels to the track and remain showing one channel.

Is anyone else demo'ing this and seeing this behavior ? I submitted a trouble ticket to PA support with no response yet.

Alternatively anyone seen similar behavior in a different plugin, and maybe offer a workaround ?

It seems like upping channel count to 4 will consume more processing power unnecessarily.

Rusty Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote