Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-18-2017, 09:35 AM   #41
emid
Human being with feelings

Everything was in Reaper until recently when I switched to Cubase 9 Pro. Still all audio mixing mastering work in Reaper.
emid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #42
Bri1
Banned

Reason- it does what I want,and I want what it does.
The combination of reaper/reason is a really fun playground.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:46 PM   #43
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

I know I've already replied here but I also want to mention that there are other DAW's besides REAPER and Protools in my studio. The other ones that get the most use are the front DAW which leads directly outside and the side DAW leading to my bedroom!

Sorry (sort of). Couldn't resist that one.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #44
insub

Quote:
Originally Posted by vassaux View Post
My only beef right now is using Kontact with Abbey Road Modern Drummer. We tend to work on one song at a time, so by the time I'm ready to do drums on a new song, I've forgotten which hoops to jump through to get the damn thing working again. XD
You probably just need to save a track template from an existing, working setup. Then you can create the tracks from the template and it is all set up right from the get-go.
insub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:05 PM   #45
insub

Maschine 2, if you want to call that a DAW, only for solo creativity. But, I rarely use it really because most of my energy goes into my band and I record/mix exclusively in REAPER these days.

Left Cubase a long time ago now. No desire to look at Cubase ever again.
insub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:13 PM   #46
andyp24

SADiE, because it's used at the BBC where I do quite a lot of my work, and because its workflow for speech editing is much quicker than Reaper (or any other DAW I've used).

Its Ripple functions can work in both directions, and it has tools very similar to video NLEs Ripple, Roll, Slip etc. Can't describe how much easier this makes speech work (when not locked to picture) - you just have to try it.

There are other things SADiE does better too. Unfortunately as a mixing platform it absolutely sucks - all but the simplest VSTs make it fall over. Hence trying to use Reaper more often for that.
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #47
Gerry G

Default Other GTo DAWs

This topic got me thinking.
In the early days I was addicted to any new (or older) music software (and hardware) along with all kinds of hard and soft musical instruments from gum leaves and jaw harps to multi layered soft synths through Reason, Plogue and heaps of others. I still enjoy Reason and Ableton but the novelty has worn off. I must try synthedit again to see if I am any better at creating something "new".

I have to make an effort now to go back to those DAWs as there is always some inspiration to be found in each system and it is hard to develop a workflow in lots of different systems. Most of my VSTIs are just loaded in Reaper projects, these days, as it initialises fast and has everything there. It is also the most 'creative' DAW I have because it is not locked into a 'walled garden' anywhere. It is a bit like saying that I have ridden Harleys, BMWs, Triumphs and Indians but just get back on my little old two stroke BSA because it is cobbled together and 'smells' good.
Gerry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #48
Sam C

I use a few DAW's just because I like to understand what they do differently. Also I find a song morphs a bit if I am recording it in multiple DAW's over a week or two....which is interesting.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:36 PM   #49
SiKo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
Reason- it does what I want,and I want what it does.
That was my idea some years ago too.
Now it's just Reason 9 as it supports VST(I)'s too.

The it's subjectively more intuitive thread touches on things that are true to me too, where I find that with Reason most things are easy and logical to do... not so much with Reaper (for me).
Old 09-11-2017, 01:43 AM   #50
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
where I find that with Reason most things are easy and logical to do... not so much with Reaper (for me).
Hm-yes-- for me,what 1 lacks the other makes up for-there are a lot of things in both programmes that don't float the boat,but so so many that do!
Great combo,considering it can all be patched in< and >out fairly transparently= !kaboomba!
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:02 AM   #51
northwoodmediaworks

Cubase is still my main platform (8.53 at this point) but I have used Reaper also for the past 3-4 years ... Recently I have thought about the day that I ditch Steinberg and use Reaper exclusively... there are still a few features lacking that prevent me from taking that plunge, but the thought is there in my mind. Only time will tell.... Been a Cubaser for 10 years, so got comfy with it, warts and all. Started with Performer (pre-Digital Performer) and always loved its Midi editing, but the last few times I used it (no DP v7 I think) its workflow was not so intuitive, so I wont be going there except as a guest at other facilities.

I love Reaper almost as much as Cubase. #1 standout feature in Reaper is cpu efficiency... brilliant, cant be beat.
northwoodmediaworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:59 PM   #52
naythinjuromeh

Logic
Ableton Live

Ableton Live: Because I have been using Ableton Live for 15 years
Logic: Because I have grown tired of UI of Ableton live

I have never actually used reaper to create a complete song. Every time I have tried to use it I remember how easy the other two daws are to use. Reaper is getting there though... maybe.

If I was just recording audio and didn't mind using third party effects for every damn effect then I would use reaper.
If the piano roll wasn't so out of date looking and fiddley then I would also use reaper.

I also think if they gave more attention to Reamote and the old windows 98 looking UI I would definitely use reaper more. UI is extremely important to me because that is how I interact with the program.... Im not a programer.

The most I use reaper for is going on ninjam once in a while and installing themes. Themes really don't help with the rest of the UI like plugins, the browser, effects, windows, the effects window or wrapper.
naythinjuromeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #53
vanhaze

I too used Logic Pro X and Ableton Live for many years.
And i think it's true that many people, like you and me, find "eye-candy" important in a DAW.

But, I stepped over from these DAW's to Reaper as my main DAW, for years now.
IMHO, i think Reaper is more of a DAW for people who like to dive really under the hood and maybe, when they were young, wanted to be a rocket scientist.
This diving under the hood has a purpose (as for me):
To get things done as fast as possible, so not getting interrupted in your creative workflow.
And thus "sacrifising" the lack of a reallly good GUI.

If you're not such a person that just wants the ultimate speed in workflow in a DAW and wants to find out the immens arsenal of functionality in the audio and midi area and how that exactly works, again, to gain workflow speed, than Reaper is probably not the best DAW that will suit you.

An example about your note about Reaper's MIDI editor against Ableton's Live MIDI clip Editor:
Reaper's MIDI Editor may look indeed childish and clumsy, but all the functionality built into it, including nowadays ReaPack scripts for Reaper's MIDI editor, just blows Ableton Live midi functionality away (and also Logic Pro's Piano Roll).
Again, i am talking 'bout functionality that will increase your workflow by far.

In general, my opinion is that many people are having opinions about Reaper's shortcomings while they are just not aware of the fact that alot of the wished for functionality is already truly possible in Reaper.
The fact that these people are not aware of that can raise a discussion of its own:
Namely the transparancy and user friendlyness that Reaper may lack in areas.
And that comes with "luxury" problem that Reaper has:
Reaper's arsenal of functionality (in terms of menu's, submenu's, actions) is so huge, it scares many people off cause they get so confused by all the possibilities.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:42 PM   #54
barefaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
I'm looking for something to help with song ideas and beats.
For beat making in the box I use Geist or Geist 2. I use it standalone or as VST in Reaper. Also for writing dance music geist is a good choice.
barefaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:08 PM   #55
davetbass

I used LMMS and made a lot of great music, if I may say so myself lol.

I don't agree with the idea that not knowing how to do something allways leads to creativity, there are definitely happy accidents in music, food and medicine for example, but if you have an idea of what you are trying to create, it's easier if you know what buttons make what bleeps etc.,
davetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #56
Alxi

What do you mean other DAW ?? ( joke )
Alxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:18 PM   #57
naythinjuromeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
I too used Logic Pro X and Ableton Live for many years.
And i think it's true that many people, like you and me, find "eye-candy" important in a DAW.

But, I stepped over from these DAW's to Reaper as my main DAW, for years now.
IMHO, i think Reaper is more of a DAW for people who like to dive really under the hood and maybe, when they were young, wanted to be a rocket scientist.
This diving under the hood has a purpose (as for me):
To get things done as fast as possible, so not getting interrupted in your creative workflow.
And thus "sacrifising" the lack of a reallly good GUI.

If you're not such a person that just wants the ultimate speed in workflow in a DAW and wants to find out the immens arsenal of functionality in the audio and midi area and how that exactly works, again, to gain workflow speed, than Reaper is probably not the best DAW that will suit you.

An example about your note about Reaper's MIDI editor against Ableton's Live MIDI clip Editor:
Reaper's MIDI Editor may look indeed childish and clumsy, but all the functionality built into it, including nowadays ReaPack scripts for Reaper's MIDI editor, just blows Ableton Live midi functionality away (and also Logic Pro's Piano Roll).
Again, i am talking 'bout functionality that will increase your workflow by far.

In general, my opinion is that many people are having opinions about Reaper's shortcomings while they are just not aware of the fact that alot of the wished for functionality is already truly possible in Reaper.
The fact that these people are not aware of that can raise a discussion of its own:
Namely the transparancy and user friendlyness that Reaper may lack in areas.
And that comes with "luxury" problem that Reaper has:
Reaper's arsenal of functionality (in terms of menu's, submenu's, actions) is so huge, it scares many people off cause they get so confused by all the possibilities.

Just my 2 cents.
I believe the functionality is there and you are right in assuming that I am confused/ ignorant of how to go about obtaining the desired functionality. I do like the ethics Cockos seem to have and I am a fan of the developers and really respect them. I also realize that they have a vision for reaper and may have skipped over users like me who want the functionality to be obvious and for nothing to get in the way of me creating music.
Ableton live is easy to use so in that aspect it does not get in the way of me creating music, but it falls very short when it comes to things like tempo mapping, this makes the program end up getting in the way for me that is why I also use logic.

Logic is great because I can quickly load a drummer track and use it as a metronome with the drums to be replaced later. I also use a lot of the midi plugins that logic has like the chord plugin. (if reaper has this I'm not aware of it) Reaper also lacks a good reverb and quality audio effects found standard in other daws. Logic also has a lot of the advanced features that Ableton Live lacks.. The only drawback for me is that it is not cross platform and you can't use vst/vsti.

Reaper is cross platform, it is marginally lower on cpu usage and it is inexpensive. If they would add a session view and I could figure out what actions I need to use to get the fast user experience as you mention I could see myself ditching both live and logic for Reaper..... If they updated the Ui there would be no contest, reaper would gain a lot of full time users.
Some things though I feel might be too hard for a small company to implement otherwise it seems like they would have done it a long time ago, such as a session view or automatic tempo mapping that is found in Cubase.

Until then I check back with every point release and twiddle with it. I do see some progression albeit slow, but I can understand because they are a small company and I prefer them to stay that way.

Im definitely rooting for reaper though.

Unfortunately there is no perfect daw yet and I live with that.
naythinjuromeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #58
Lowell Mather 5150

Harrison Mixbus, 2.5 because it was mac only forever and they finally had a windows release available as a no brainer. I upgraded to v4 because I like where they are taking it. I almost sprung for 32C, but am not sure about how it would behave on my monitor. If that EQ & Comp could do everything I want, then it would make all of my other vst comps/eq's redundant (save the Reaplugs). I may go for it one day.
Lowell Mather 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #59
Lowell Mather 5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by siehorst View Post
How is that related to
?
- Tracktion: because I started long time ago with and still have some projects with it.
- Live: because I got it cheap and more for clip based music.
But as true DAW: only reaper!
horst
Are you on Tracktion Waveform now, because that is looking like it's
starting to kick some ass.
Lowell Mather 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:18 AM   #60
todd_r

Renoise for making music, Reaper for finalising arrangement and mixing.

Love Renoise, but I see it as more of a instrument than a DAW. Tracktion/Waveform is nice, especially now it has a proper mixer. But I don't really see the point of putting time money into it when it would just be duplicating the function of Reaper, but as far as initial twiddling go less intuitive and flexible. GUI is gorgeous though.
todd_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:20 AM   #61
TC7

ProTools, Ableton, Logic, Audition, Digital Performer, and of course, Reaper.

I'm doing some teaching and need to be fluent with different ways to skin cats.
TC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:30 PM   #62
RonBoy

Default I Forgot to mention...

I have used Logic 4.0 up to Pro 8 on my Mac G4 but now Logic barely runs on that computer. I managed to pump out some nice projects that I ported to Sonar and Cubase! Just starting to use Reaper in place of Sonar Professional 2016, I think I'm going to stop at this version of Sonar. Don't waste your money on Cakewalk(Oh, I started with Cakewalk when it was Pro Audio 7/8 then I stopped using it until Home Studio 6)! I'm beginning to dislike Apple because they have gone mad on the price of their computers. I'd get a used one just to run my Logic Pro 8, it has everything you'd ever need to make music. Cubase has actually caught up with Logic in terms of the content and instruments, finally!! Wouldn't waste my money upgrading to Logic 10. Guys and Gals, buy a nice Windows machine for much cheaper. Reaper runs just fine on a Windows machine! One thing that Reaper needs is OMF import then you can easily port your audio projects from other daws into Reaper. In terms of midi, it's very easy to port midi into Reaper! Just drag your midi file over to Reaper's track view and position your mouse where you want the song to start!
RonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:39 PM   #63
mainframe

If you're looking for inspiration and a truly fresh take on music you should have a look at Pure Data. It's basically a real time programming environment where in you can design all sorts of audio and midi monsters. If intrigued and you don't know how to get started, have a look at the floss manual below. It takes some time to get used to but I can guarantee that after a weekend of messing around and you'll understand the fundamentals and will be able to create things you did not think of before.

* http://write.flossmanuals.net/pure-data/introduction2/
mainframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:46 AM   #64
foxAsteria

Ableton, because ubiquity.

Well you could almost call Maschine a DAW, but all the same it's really awesome for sketching and developing beat ideas. I liked the workflow so much I copied it in Reaper.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:42 PM   #65
Ras Keita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
Gotta agree Reaper & Reason
I have Studio One can't get my mind around it.
I've had FL Studio (upgrades 4 life) never used it enough to get familiar.
Ableton Live Suite laid it to the side seldom go there any more.
Mix Bus was unable to figure it out.

I'm more about knowing the tools I have rather than spending time bouncing around learning new DAW these days.
Ras Keita is offline   Reply With Quote