Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-18-2017, 05:18 AM   #41
MRMJP
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
IMHO, all of this could be part of a project template or something like this, maybe with the help of some scripts..

-Michael
You've kind of missed the entire point, and there are things I've mentioned that are not going to be possible via scripts, and plenty more on the way with the list we've been compiling.

Not everybody has a mind for scripting or time for trial and error. Even Jon the REAPER Blog guy uses HOFA for simple album assemble and he's on the basic end of the spectrum of what we're asking here.

Trust me. If it were already possible, I'd already be using it and not wasting time asking for it.

It's more than just a few or some 3rd party scripts. It's a totally different approach with a special set of tools, ideas, features, workflows, and quality control.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:50 AM   #42
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
You've kind of missed the entire point, and there are things I've mentioned that are not going to be possible via scripts, and plenty more on the way with the list we've been compiling.

Not everybody has a mind for scripting or time for trial and error. Even Jon the REAPER Blog guy uses HOFA for simple album assemble and he's on the basic end of the spectrum of what we're asking here.

Trust me. If it were already possible, I'd already be using it and not wasting time asking for it.

It's more than just a few or some 3rd party scripts. It's a totally different approach with a special set of tools, ideas, features, workflows, and quality control.

would be nice if Reaper had its own "Mastering Enviroment/Mode)Looking forward to your lists of things thats missing from what can be done now
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:10 AM   #43
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbaseDnB View Post
would be nice if Reaper had its own "Mastering Enviroment/Mode)Looking forward to your lists of things thats missing from what can be done now
I agree, thanks for showing interest. It's more than a view preset and more 3rd party scripts.

It's ideally an entirely different mode and environment as you say. There is a reason why some of use move to HOFA or WaveLab etc. to finalize the job. Mastering is more than putting the songs in order on a timeline and adding stereo processing FX and that's where REAPER starts to fall short.

REAPER is amazing at many things and I know was never intended to be a mastering DAW, but it's already fairly close so why not go all the way and likely gain a lot more users?

I also received a PM on this forum about another well known mastering engineer trying to use REAPER but with a list of notes about how REAPER can be more friendly to mastering-only people.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:18 AM   #44
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
I agree, thanks for showing interest. It's more than a view preset and more 3rd party scripts.

It's ideally an entirely different mode and environment as you say. There is a reason why some of use move to HOFA or WaveLab etc. to finalize the job. Mastering is more than putting the songs in order on a timeline and adding stereo processing FX and that's where REAPER starts to fall short.

REAPER is amazing at many things and I know was never intended to be a mastering DAW, but it's already fairly close so why not go all the way and likely gain a lot more users?

I also received a PM on this forum about another well known mastering engineer trying to use REAPER but with a list of notes about how REAPER can be more friendly to mastering-only people.

i also have studio one pro 3,and have used that before to master my own tracks,but i found the lack of automation in the project page to be a down side.

i only recently got back to using Reaper again for my musc,so havent Mastered any of my new tracks in Reaper yet.

But the sooner you guyscan post your lists the sooner the devs could look into it
Old 08-18-2017, 07:24 AM   #45
MRMJP

Quote:
i also have studio one pro 3,and have used that before to master my own tracks,but i found the lack of automation in the project page to be a down side.

i only recently got back to using Reaper again for my musc,so havent Mastered any of my new tracks in Reaper yet.

But the sooner you guyscan post your lists the sooner the devs could look into it
Will do. I checked out Studio One V3 a bit but did not thing the mastering project page was as useful as the WaveLab montage which I already use and have dialed in. Arnd from PreSonus emailed me a few weeks ago saying they did an update and included a lot of my suggestions after initially trying Studio One V3 but I haven't had time to revisit.

Aside from lack of automation that you mention, do you see a nice benefit of having a dedicated mastering mode/environment for mastering related tasks rather than having to do it in a normal recording/mixing DAW?
Old 08-18-2017, 08:32 AM   #46
SubbaseDnB

Quote:

Aside from lack of automation that you mention, do you see a nice benefit of having a dedicated mastering mode/environment for mastering related tasks rather than having to do it in a normal recording/mixing DAW?

the biggest benefit when i was using studio one pro (and bear in mind im no professional mastering ingeneer,only master my own stuff,and sometimes stuff from some of the labels i release on)

was that with the project page in studio one,it was easy to import the tracks that needed to be on a release,it was easy to set how long time it should take to go from one track to the next on the release,Basic stuff really.i have never used wavelabs montage,only have a copy of wavelab elements 9.

but i always loved to do all in 1 program,and not have to bounce out from different programs

one thing i loved about using studio one pro ,was (with my own music)if something needed to be fixed in the mix,i could quickly jump between the mix,and the project page,and all stuff would be updated.

but your lists really need to be in the feature requst forum,no one knows when Reaper 6 will arrive,the one thing the really are trying to nail now it seems is Automation items,which will be a HUGE deal
Old 08-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #47
MRMJP

Quote:

but your lists really need to be in the feature requst forum,no one knows when Reaper 6 will arrive,the one thing the really are trying to nail now it seems is Automation items,which will be a HUGE deal
Yes, we'll definitely post it in the right forum when it's official. I just wanted to get a feel for a few things in the main forum where more people tend to look.

Thanks for your insights.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #48
mlprod

Now with v 5.5 almost done, I think its time for a meta data render update in Reaper!
It should work with mp3 and other formats aswell.

Defining Performer/Artist, Album title and things like that in the project settings would be great.
The performer, album title etc should also be available as wild cards in the render window to easen up file naming for master file exports.
mlprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:11 AM   #49
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
Now with v 5.5 almost done, I think its time for a meta data render update in Reaper!

Defining Performer/Artist, Album title and things like that in the project settings would be great.
The performer, album title etc should also be available as wild cards in the render window to easen up file naming for master file exports.
would defo make sense
Old 09-11-2017, 06:36 AM   #50
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post

Yeah. Basically the way it works in WaveLab is that you enter all the important info just one time, and whether you render WAV, mp3 , DDP etc, all the CD-Text and applicable metadata is there.

WAV file get ID3/AXML/RIFF tags, mp3/AAC get that plus ID3v1, CD-Text is CD-Text of course.

When using WaveLab, I don't need to use an additional app for any metadata needs, but I do occasionally use one to double check things.

The point is to enter the data once, and have it pushed to all applicable places.

This could be a big help for people that try to do mastering all in REAPER. This is just one of many things that would need to happen for me to consider that.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #51
Bri1
Banned

It would be ideal if next batch of pre-releases just focused on getting all that is there now-working smoother than a tumbled pebble.
Maybe even look at the whole list of outstanding (plausible) user requests- and implement the lot!
This would please a lot i'm sure.
Keep v.6 for the super secret next level stuff (secrets suck though tbh )

It appears 3 operating systems are being worked for-is this ideal?! I wish there was just 1 os, like cockos/jesusonic were originally going todo with the> "jesusonic in hardware ". (https://www.cockos.com/jesusonic/)
The os + dedicated audio programme still might have made sense-- i'm sure it could still be out sourced to an interested 3rd party!
There's 32bit interfacing now=npz.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #52
tzzsmk

in my opinion there needs to be "something major" else there's no reason to confuse people with another major version (which also would mean v.4 buyers were no longer eligible to use their license),

as I've used probably all major DAWs out there, as well as various virtual and real instruments and controllers, only major things I can think of right now is:

1) full MPE support (Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression MIDI), as a happy owner of Seaboard RISE49, I can genuinely say MPE MIDI is a huge game changer among virtual instruments MIDI data flow

2) ARA (Audio Random Access, so DAW and plug-in can exchange information about the audio file, tempo, pitch, and rhythm, not only in the moment of playback but for the whole song), is another game changer for advanced track alteration, be it complex melody or rythm adjustments for ex.

3) native Linux and ARM support, this is something already in progress as far as I can guess, again a crucial step as it would let Reaper become literally OS-independent DAW

4) entirely reworked GUI draw system, not that I would complain, but recent boom of hi-res screens, touch devices, advanced scaling stuff and so on I think it might be interesting to optimize/enhance this a bit more while not essentially changing the look of Reaper itself

5) reworked and fully-featured video editing, I guess this is something relatively very unimportant, but doing so would totally deserve shiny new version number, right?
Old 09-11-2017, 05:28 PM   #53
MikComposer

Sound needs to be improved. Right now Cubase and FL still have smoother sound. I don't know why, but somehow it produces clearer tighter sound by a tad, but makes a difference, especially when working with midi.

Next, reaper does needs interface and tools overhaul. There is planty of actions, custom scripts etc, and they need to be consolidated together in to smarter tools, so there is less of them, but it is easier to use them, and they work better. Right now I have so many buttons to do different actions, mostly custom scripts, but the interface of those, and functionality is a mess. That should be worked on and if it will be r6 then so be it, but those are important.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:55 PM   #54
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
Right now Cubase and FL still have smoother sound.
This is perfectly impossible, as any DAW does not change the "sound" but just does what it is supposed to do. Besides selecting e.g. a Sample Rate, "Sound" is just a matter of plugins.

Quote:
Next, reaper does needs interface and tools overhaul.
This is absolutely a matter of personal taste and depends just on the workflow any user is inclined to follow. So what you suggest needs a different Reaper for any user, which obviously is hard to do.

(You started such pointless discussions (with no usable / concrete suggestion) already multiple times. Why not just use Cubase ? Or are you just trying to be funny ? )

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 09-11-2017 at 11:53 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:25 AM   #55
Eddy

Quote:
This is perfectly impossible, as any DAW does not change the "sound" but just does what it is supposed to do. Besides selecting e.g. a Sample Rate, "Sound" is just a matter of plugins.

This is absolutely a matter of personal taste and depends just on the workflow any user is inclined to follow. So what you suggest needs a different Reaper for any user, which obviously is hard to do.

(You started such pointless discussions (with no usable / concrete suggestion) already multiple times. Why not just use Cubase ? Or are you just trying to be funny ? )

-Michael
some interface issues arent a matter of personal taste but impede any workflow before a workaround is developed. For example I posted a midi editor view bug
"Multiple midi clips cannot be viewed in a single editor when piano roll timebase set to source beats." which is a clear interface problem (whether you want to call it a bug or something else). Apparently there are other similar interface issues according to Evil Dragon. I can understand that no-one wants to tidy up that boring stuff, but those issues do exist
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:49 AM   #56
xpander

Quote:
There is planty of actions, custom scripts etc, and they need to be consolidated together in to smarter tools, so there is less of them, but it is easier to use them, and they work better. Right now I have so many buttons to do different actions, mostly custom scripts, but the interface of those, and functionality is a mess.
All those custom actions and scripts are from the individual Reaper users. Their look and behavior is up to their makers to decide. There is no way Cockos could take all that under their control unless they'd do exactly that; allow only a very limited and always the same interface for everything made by the users. As for the functionality, Cockos would also have to seriously limit the programming possibilities and basically since there is always a chance for users to "mess" something when given the possibility, take all that away as well. That goes strictly against one of the main things about Reaper, the enormous flexibility and ability for each user to make Reaper more to their liking.

So your requests and expectations about all that should actually go to all the individuals offering their personal stuff for everybody to use. There are already individual attempts to unify the user experience eg. ReaPack. While you might not be able to personally help in those moves towards unity, you still have personal responsibility about how you make your version of Reaper to behave and look. It's a free choice and if you are not happy with the outcome, the person responsible for that is ultimately looking at you from the mirror.

Mind you, I surely understand your complain. I like to keep everything as tidy and collected as possible. I even intentionally restrict and limit things to keep myself using less to the full potential rather than having more and losing myself in the maze. But that is my personal choice and I'm glad I do have that option every time there is something potentially useful on offer..
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:40 AM   #57
buckman

Me personally, a Mastering mode (as people have mentioned here) with proper 'Area Selection..

Also maybe an 'Editing mode', whereby it still all takes place in the timeline, but you could use Area Selection and fx adding and editing without splitting files etc.
So like the Audio Editors do (Wavelab, Sound Forge, Audacity). Also the setting to have destructive editing, while trimming and doing necessary 'housework' on files before starting a song..

I know you can have editors within Reaper, but it would STILL be great to not touch those and have Reaper do it all!
The editors now on a Mac aren't great, and Cockos could clean up with some proper editing/mastering tools on the 'before and after' of composition, or sound design etc.

My 2c
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #58
MikComposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
All those custom actions and scripts are from the individual Reaper users. Their look and behavior is up to their makers to decide. There is no way Cockos could take all that under their control unless they'd do exactly that; allow only a very limited and always the same interface for everything made by the users. As for the functionality, Cockos would also have to seriously limit the programming possibilities and basically since there is always a chance for users to "mess" something when given the possibility, take all that away as well. That goes strictly against one of the main things about Reaper, the enormous flexibility and ability for each user to make Reaper more to their liking.

So your requests and expectations about all that should actually go to all the individuals offering their personal stuff for everybody to use. There are already individual attempts to unify the user experience eg. ReaPack. While you might not be able to personally help in those moves towards unity, you still have personal responsibility about how you make your version of Reaper to behave and look. It's a free choice and if you are not happy with the outcome, the person responsible for that is ultimately looking at you from the mirror.

Mind you, I surely understand your complain. I like to keep everything as tidy and collected as possible. I even intentionally restrict and limit things to keep myself using less to the full potential rather than having more and losing myself in the maze. But that is my personal choice and I'm glad I do have that option every time there is something potentially useful on offer..
Thanks for reply. I've spent a month customizing reaper. Then update came, and half of the custom actions or scripts stopped working. And to be frank, if reaper got tidy up and the interface and tool were made solid, that wouldn't mean that additional scripting wouldn't be possible. It would only mean, that there wouldn't be much need for anything additional, unless it would be something very specific, not as standard as cc tools for example.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #59
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Heh heh, I'm almost the opposite, if I need a custom action or toolbar at any particular time, I make it, irregardless what the project is. And I've got an array of various type projects, nearly all with different workflows.

I just wish there were more toolbars...

Quote:
Thanks for reply. I've spent a month customizing reaper. Then update came, and half of the custom actions or scripts stopped working.
Wow Mik, I don't think I've ever lost the functionality of my custom actions or scripts. Now in all honesty, I have a lot of custom actions that I haven't used in a long time, and maybe they don't work any more, I don't know.

Quote:
And to be frank, if reaper got tidy up and the interface and tool were made solid, that wouldn't mean that additional scripting wouldn't be possible. It would only mean, that there wouldn't be much need for anything additional, unless it would be something very specific, not as standard as cc tools for example.
I do agree with you that there are a lot of little things in Reaper that could use some serious attention. I run across problems nearly every day. Most of the time it's pilot error and it's some stupid little thing I missed or forgot.

But I also think there are some little quirks and bugs, kind of little gotchyas. It would be nice if the devs could set aside a couple of months, or maybe a whole quarter, to take care of some of these. Trust me I do have my own list.

However, aside from the little things, I don't want Reaper to be any different, it's the ability to customize Reaper to the degree that it can, that makes it my home.

I use Reaper every day, sometimes 7 days a week, 6, 8, sometimes 12 hours a day, and I'm always impressed with the different ways I can set it up for any project I'm involved with.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:19 AM   #60
endorka

Quote:
Originally Posted by endorka View Post
...various codes such as ISRC and EAN must be embedded such as catalogue number, artist etc. ...The way these are entered into a Reaper based DDP project at the moment is clumsy and error prone, and verification of them not simple.

Another useful thing for DDPs is preparation of a human readable PQ sheet.
Since doing some more mastering projects I've found a couple of things that make these much easier.

I was entering the CD codes directly into markers on the timeline. Since then I've discovered the Region/Marker manager. This is MUCH easier to use & verify. Should've paid more attention to the manual. Doh!

Also, the ddptools commonly used alongside Reaper have the option to output an html PQ sheet.

By using regions to hold the markers, it's easy to render the WAV masters with the region render matrix. Then SWS: convert regions to markers for the DDP render. This way you can easily get the WAV and DDP renders from one mastering project. Nice :-)

This is probably old news to more experienced folks, but a revelation to myself. The recent mastering project I did was really efficient & pleasant to do in Reaper.

Cheers,
Jennifer
Old 11-08-2017, 09:12 AM   #61
mschnell

Great ! Thanks for sharing this.

I was not aware of anything you described but it might be valuable to know it some time in the future !

-Michael
Old 02-06-2018, 08:17 AM   #62
mduque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
I am worried I wont see version 6. i think I might have to buy it?

When I purchased Reaper, it was right at the end of version 4. I was 4.75 or something. I had it a few weeks or so and it became V5.

Does my license end at say 4.75? Or will it carry over?
Put 10 dolars in a can every month and you will see how fast you have 60 to re-buy Reaper while Reaper 6 is not yet release so then you can get some drinks with the 60 bucks and start over saving ... hehehe

Now seriously. I would expect Reaper gets more into Ableton Live territory. That would be an amazing happening. The Clips idea is great for electronic music and for Live mixing. Even for classic music sometimes is nice to use midi clips. I use PlayTime for Reaper but it's not so well integrated with the launchpad pro.
mduque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:08 AM   #63
sievr

And I was thinking about default keys, maybe its time to change some?
And in v6 people could choose if want old shortcuts or new?
For me its really anoing that a lot of keys are bad organised.
Right now keys 1-9 and f1-f12 are just waste of space for me.

Here is my config:

1 - solo
Alt +1 - unsolo

2 - mute clip or track
Alt + 2 - unmute

3 - put marker

Shift +1 - prev marker / selection
Shift +2 - next marker / sel

Ctrl +4 - toggle grid / snap (ableton style)

Q - read mode
Shift + q - touch mode (or write)

Shift + E - show fx for track

H - hide folders (script)

Mouse scroll - resize track

F1 - track manager
F3 - mixer
F4 - region manager
F8 - metronome
F9 - record

Seek default off

Press mouse middle key to zoom (like bitwig, or ableton timeline)

Also there is need for simplifing ppm menu.

I LOVE SO MUCH REAPER,
But right its a litte bit hard to start, beacuse not everything is simplified, right now I felt like development team constatly adding featuers, but i think with v6 we need to reconfigure hotkeys, to be more newbie friendly and quiker!
sievr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:32 AM   #64
Michael AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mduque View Post
I use PlayTime for Reaper but it's not so well integrated with the launchpad pro.
Ben will be adding Launchpad Pro to the next Playtime release. If you ask him, he might provide you with a copy of the Launchpad Pro file.

He sent me a copy and it works great. It's very similar to using Live, but without the actions. Hopefully at some point, Ben will add actions to make Playtime even better!
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:53 PM   #65
sievr

v6 need button in track panel for hiding and showing automation, or some sign if there is a something

and behavior of solo and mute buttons, when resize this all is different places eh ;/
sievr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #66
pierogilover

I think there is room for improvement in the way you apply FX in a track.

For example being able make FX groups in a single track with dedicated volume for each of them. This would make it easy for example for apply effects in parallel without the need of creating one track per effect !

Edit : I just saw This is already there with routing to the other audio channels of the track, great thing !

Last edited by pierogilover; 02-08-2018 at 02:10 PM.
pierogilover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:21 AM   #67
mmarra

+1 for mastering specific functions. I make my living mastering and currently use Magix Sequoia, which we have at the studio I work out of. I tried Reaper a few months ago and loved how CPU efficient it was and how it seemed to improve my workflow for processing. But with the lack of mastering specific feature especially for finalizing projects I stopped at the demo. I can't afford to be switching back and forth between DAWs to finalize a project...so it was back to Sequoia.

I hope Reaper builds in some better mastering features that don't require custom codes/shortcuts in the near future.
mmarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:59 AM   #68
thevisi0nary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
That's a thought - if Kim Jong-un could nuke the asteroid, that would impress us all.
Could you imagine a North Korean remake of Armageddon?
thevisi0nary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:14 AM   #69
SoulOne82

REAPER 6 will of course be released on September 28th. It will also feature a new GUI.
The rest is still top secret, I did sign a NDA goddamit!
SoulOne82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:55 PM   #70
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOne82 View Post
It will also feature a new GUI.
Finally !!!! More sexy colors
-Michael
Old 02-19-2018, 03:27 AM   #71
machinesworking

Quote:
2) Mastering project mode. This is going be hard to explain for people that master more casually and don't care about some of the finer details about providing cohesive masters in various formats, but as somebody that does mastering-only full-time, I can say that REAPER would greatly benefit from a dedicated mastering mode, similar to how Studio One V3 does it, but adding some more advanced features of the WaveLab montage yet somehow keeping the simplicity of HOFA CD Burn & DDP.
I'm all for this, I own quite a few DAWs because I'm ridiculous like that, and Reaper has by far the best rendering options of any of them. If it also had mastering engineer grade mastering features I wouldn't ever use anything else to mix in.

Seriously, the options for naming tracks, creating stems etc. are top notch, so why not right?
machinesworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #72
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
I'm all for this, I own quite a few DAWs because I'm ridiculous like that, and Reaper has by far the best rendering options of any of them. If it also had mastering engineer grade mastering features I wouldn't ever use anything else to mix in.

Seriously, the options for naming tracks, creating stems etc. are top notch, so why not right?
I'm glad you get it

I also use many apps so I can use the best tool for each part of the job.

REAPER for analog play/capture with RX6 set as REAPER's External Editor for doing spot repair work of noises/clicks/pops, Saracon for sample rate conversion, WaveLab for final assembly/limiting/light touch processing and then rendering all the master formats complete with CD-Text/Metadata/Artwork etc. and the HOAF DDP Player Maker to deliver DDP images for approval.

REAPER is so close to being THEE go to mastering app but not everything can or should be solved with a 3rd party script.

There are fundamental things missing that people doing mastering all day every day need to have that REAPER just does not have, even via scripting and I've spent a lot of time tweaking scripts and hiring scriptors to get where I'm at now which is using REAPER for 80% of the job and then moving to WaveLab to finish up.

For the casual mastering engineer or mixing engineer that masters by proxy, REAPER might be OK but most of the serious day to day mastering engineers aren't going to invest the time getting REAPER to where I and some others have only to need another app to finish the job easily/accurately.

I'd love to have a real meeting with the REAPER developers about making REAPER THEE go to cross-platform mastering DAW but I know that they aren't too concerned with sales and being commercially successful and I can respect that.

I do want to let them know where it falls short though in case there is some interest in fulfilling these needs.

It's a very specific set of needs that I'm 110% confident are not already possible unless you are capable of high level coding and even then, still fails short.

Last edited by MRMJP; 02-20-2018 at 01:57 PM.
MRMJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:15 AM   #73
mduque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael AD View Post
Ben will be adding Launchpad Pro to the next Playtime release. If you ask him, he might provide you with a copy of the Launchpad Pro file.

He sent me a copy and it works great. It's very similar to using Live, but without the actions. Hopefully at some point, Ben will add actions to make Playtime even better!
Thank you. I did and now it seems very much better. HOPEFULLY the next version we could use at least copy or quantize. However as a developer I can understand the architectural limitations of REAPER to imitate LIVE.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:52 AM   #74
Stews

Quote:
Can easily be done in a single track by using pin routing. Some don't like the "native" GUI for setting up the pin routing within a track's FX-"chain". AFAIK, there are scripts that provide a more "intuitive" GUI for this.

-Michael
I didn't know about this, I love this feature!

Thanks for pointing it out!
Stews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:17 AM   #75
mduque

Quote:
Sound needs to be improved. Right now Cubase and FL still have smoother sound. I don't know why, but somehow it produces clearer tighter sound by a tad, but makes a difference, especially when working with midi.

Next, reaper does needs interface and tools overhaul. There is planty of actions, custom scripts etc, and they need to be consolidated together in to smarter tools, so there is less of them, but it is easier to use them, and they work better. Right now I have so many buttons to do different actions, mostly custom scripts, but the interface of those, and functionality is a mess. That should be worked on and if it will be r6 then so be it, but those are important.
As a composer, web developer I could be inclined that is the graphical presentation of the interface plus the disorder of the scriptS that makes your brain feel a bit uncomfortable and maybe think the sound is not so smooth when in fact is as smooth as with FL, Cubase or any other. I have spent so many DAYS trying to overlap the same feeling. It lead me to make my own themes variations based in the colors of my beloved plugins or synths. reFx Vanguard and Maudio Venom (lime) and now blue as Native Instruments TheMouth, Microtonic and Thorn. If any of you is interested I can send you the THEMES.

However Cubase is still Cubase.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:47 AM   #76
Stews

Quote:
Do you mean using Reaper's own effects and other DAWs' own effects or when using the same VSTs in both?

If the latter, have you used null tests to determine if there is a difference in the sounds or are you just going by what you're hearing when using both?

I'd be surprised if null tests actually proved that Reaper sounded different to Cubase using the same plugins but I have never tested it myself.
Stews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:14 AM   #77
MRMJP

I use REAPER every day and it sounds great. I'm always at 96k and listening with a Crane Song Avocet IIA fed via RME AES sound card. I think any sound issues would be magnified with this setup.

The sound I hear in REAPER is identical to what I hear in WaveLab when I switch to WaveLab for finishing projects.

I highly disagree that REAPER has a sound quality issue. If anything, the 64-bit mixer adds precision that other DAWs do not have yet.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:22 PM   #78
The-Zeronaut

I suspect that the "big thing" for reaper 6 will be ARA 2 support.
And while everyone is thinking of melodyne im praying for synchroarts revoice support/integration. (or vocalign)

Still..it seems that the new default answer for every problem is "use scripts".

I love scripts and use them a lot but...how long will that script made by some some dude in his bedroom will be supported/not cause problems?

I feel reaper suffers of the "new shiny thing" syndrome:
they add some new thing not kinda 100% completed and then leave it and go to the next shiny thing.
This is for example what i feel has happened to the video stuff IMHO.

Meanwhile there are things that arent like entire overhauls of the system like for example a better metronome that have been ignored for literally a decade...
or just metadata/id3 tags implementation that is just basic stuff for day to day audio.

Just look at the most voted FRs and look at the dates
The-Zeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:08 PM   #79
mduque

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Zeronaut View Post

I feel reaper suffers of the "new shiny thing" syndrome:
they add some new thing not kinda 100% completed and then leave it and go to the next shiny thing.
This is for example what i feel has happened to the video stuff IMHO.

Just look at the most voted FRs and look at the dates
I must agree. For example it has dozens of very good Cockos efects with no presets at all. For me as amatheur makes me loose more time to understand how to start with and I end up buying third party plugins Reaper Having one very good convolution reverb with only a couple of impulse responses and almost no documentation made me spent so many time and effort that now I hate all the convolution reverbs and I don't want any other than algoritmics.

Where is the most voted FRs?
Old 02-28-2018, 04:47 PM   #80
karbomusic

Quote:

I highly disagree that REAPER has a sound quality issue. If anything, the 64-bit mixer adds precision that other DAWs do not have yet.
You'd be right because it doesn't and DAWs don't have sounds - usually someone will overlook something when testing and miss why it sounds different and think it is the DAW itself when it isn't. Hint: If anyone uses the word Audio or Daw "Engine" run the other way as fast as you can.