Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #121
JHA
Human being with feelings

I don't have Mixosaurus. It's discontinued anyway I believe. I have the demo that you can download from their web site > http://www.mixosaurus.com/. It's about 4.2 GB uncompressed so it's quite big for only two articulations. It contains one tom and one ride articulation so you can test it yourself.

My comment stands only for 2 round robins as in the OP in this thread, you mention 2 round robins. It's not clear from that it has many other versions. Maybe you could edit the OP up to date. If you have 8 RR 32 velo version then it will sound a lot better than 2 RR 64 velo. But me and Tod disagree about that and it's fine.

Edit: the Mixosaurus demo has 10" tom with tip, rimshot and rim articulations and light ride (meaning it's hit lightly ie. not used as a crash) with tip in, tip out, shank, bell tip and bell shank articulations. All of those are with three different mic setups that can be loaded separately.

Last edited by JHA; 06-11-2015 at 04:26 PM.
JHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:37 PM   #122
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHA View Post
My comment stands only for 2 round robins as in the OP in this thread, you mention 2 round robins. It's not clear from that it has many other versions. Maybe you could edit the OP up to date. If you have 8 RR 32 velo version then it will sound a lot better than 2 RR 64 velo. But me and Tod disagree about that and it's fine.
Actully JHA, I'm one of the guys that put the 8 RR 32 velo version together. It's totally understandable that you might be a little confused, this is actually a pretty confusing thread.

What this thread started out to be was a thread by Suleiman concerning a drum program he put together using ReaSamplOmatic5000 (RS5K). Not only is it unique because of the number of layers, but the wave files themselves are very unique.

The wave files are multi channel files which means that the wave file for the snare has the Top, Bottom, and Overhead(stereo) mics all in one wave file. As far as I know, RS5K is the only sampler that can do this, although I don't know this for sure. Also as far as I know, this is the first time it's ever been done, but again that may or may not be true. At any rate, Suleiman deserves a real pat on the back for coming up with this concept. In fact it could serve as the basis for something more down the road.

At any rate JHA, we won't argue about this any more because we're both right, depending on the circumstances.

Also I'm glad you spoke up and stuck to your guns because it is an important subject.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:46 AM   #123
suleiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHA View Post
I don't have Mixosaurus. It's discontinued anyway I believe. I have the demo that you can download from their web site > http://www.mixosaurus.com/. It's about 4.2 GB uncompressed so it's quite big for only two articulations. It contains one tom and one ride articulation so you can test it yourself.

Edit: the Mixosaurus demo has 10" tom with tip, rimshot and rim articulations and light ride (meaning it's hit lightly ie. not used as a crash) with tip in, tip out, shank, bell tip and bell shank articulations. All of those are with three different mic setups that can be loaded separately.
That is quite a lot of articulations , so yesss that would make for some amazingly realistic drums if its played or programmed right. It would need one of them expensive MIDI drum pads with upto 4 zones in single pads and MIDI Hats, to get the realism right.

Also, I want to thank you for the illuminating discussion. I love talking drum samples, and your feedback will surely help us improve SM Drums.

Furthermore - i have edited the OP to hopefully remove some of the confusion.

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:15 PM   #124
ivansc

Found this link on the defunct Mixosaurus site, so you can apparently still by A version of the kit until they run out.

http://www.mixosaurus.com/ and click on the SHOP button
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:36 AM   #125
moribund

I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if someone could answer a couple questions for me.

First, thanks to suleiman and co. for such a great job - your generosity with all of your time, talents, and resources are commendable. On to the questions:

1. How do the different velocity layers work, i.e., does one of the lower velocity samples engage automatically when it's triggered by a lower velocity MIDI event, and vice versa? I ask because I want to make sure that I'm using this beast correctly.

2. What's Ch3 with the MIDI choker plugins for?

Thanks again guys
moribund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:54 PM   #126
tom harrison

Default Drumkit

Thank you sooooooo much for this incredible gift!!

I had no problem loading it up or figuring out how to use it and I am pretty new to all things DAW. I love the complete control and LOVE the sound of it. Mind you, I have not touched anything like EQ or compression or reverb or changing mic balance or anything, just opened it up and played it.

What I liked most was that a real drummer put together a "kit" for me rather than my feeble attempts at grabbing a kick sample here, a snare sample there, etc., and putting it together. I'm sure a real drummer would just shake their head and wonder why I haven't tuned the toms or why the closed hi-hat and open hi-hat sound like two different instruments rather than one instrument. So, this is nice.

Again, thank you very much and thank you to all of the Reaper fans who spend so many hours adding on to an already incredible software package.
tom harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #127
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom harrison View Post
I had no problem loading it up or figuring out how to use it and I am pretty new to all things DAW. I love the complete control and LOVE the sound of it. Mind you, I have not touched anything like EQ or compression or reverb or changing mic balance or anything, just opened it up and played it.
Hi Tom, and welcome to the forum.

I'm glad you're you're getting along with it so well and thank you for checking it out.

May I ask which sampler version you downloaded?
Old 09-05-2016, 04:47 PM   #128
ldetlefs

Default Using Midi Loops/ Labeling on Drum Grid

Hi! This kit sounds phenomenal! Thank you!

I'm new to using Midi software, and was wondering if it's possible to change the names on the drum grid from the notes (D 1, D# 1, etc) and label them as the sound they represent.

Also, I downloaded a set of drum loops from groove monkey, and now I'm not sure whether I can use them in MegaReaper - any suggestions? Thanks

**Edit** Actually on the second question, I contacted groove monkey support and they are going to try "remap" the Midi loops to work with MegaReaper using the Key Map.

Last edited by ldetlefs; 09-05-2016 at 07:21 PM. Reason: New Information
ldetlefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:23 AM   #129
suleiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldetlefs View Post

I'm new to using Midi software, and was wondering if it's possible to change the names on the drum grid from the notes (D 1, D# 1, etc) and label them as the sound they represent.

Also, I downloaded a set of drum loops from groove monkey, and now I'm not sure whether I can use them in MegaReaper - any suggestions? Thanks

**Edit** Actually on the second question, I contacted groove monkey support and they are going to try "remap" the Midi loops to work with MegaReaper using the Key Map.
thank you !! its commments like these that make my day.

if you are using the megababy sequencer, you can create as many naming txt files as you like. there was link to at least a few dozen of those, but i cant find that link right now. there is a Reaper resource folder where they have to be placed, and then the keymap will be accessible from the sequencer. Maybe someone else can hook you up with the files and the exact folder location where to put it. and maybe hook me up as well as i lost it all in the great studio machine death of 2 months ago.

if you using Reaper's own midi editor, you can double right click on any key on the vertical keyboard and rename to whatever you choose.

and yes, i have yet to hear a more realistic kit myself, and i review a new drum library / software almost every month.

Salamat
Old 09-07-2016, 01:36 PM   #130
GrooveMonkee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldetlefs View Post

**Edit** Actually on the second question, I contacted groove monkee support and they are going to try "remap" the Midi loops to work with MegaReaper using the Key Map.
Hi Lea,

I sent you a link to download Progressive remapped for SM Drums.

Yes, you can change the note display. I've created Reaper "note name" files for SM drums, including the lite kit.

I've included the note name files along with over 250 free MIDI files mapped for the SM kits here: http://bonzo.groovemonkee.com/resour...ee_midi_sm.zip

The loops are a sampling of our 24 MIDI packs.

Cheers,

- Russ
groovemonkee.com

Last edited by GrooveMonkee; 09-07-2016 at 07:35 PM.
GrooveMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #131
GrooveMonkee

Quote:
Originally Posted by suleiman View Post

Maybe someone else can hook you up with the files and the exact folder location where to put it.
Fantastic job Suleiman! Very impressive work! It's it's really great that you posted the kits for free.

If anyone is wondering about note name file location, on my PC the note name files go here:

C:\Users\User_Name\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\MIDINote Names
Old 09-07-2016, 05:08 PM   #132
suleiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveMonkee View Post
Fantastic job Suleiman! Very impressive work! It's it's really great that you posted the kits for free.

If anyone is wondering about note name file location, on my PC the note name files go here:

C:\Users\User_Name\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\MIDINote Names
Thank you for the nice comments ! great start to a new day....its cool to recognized by an institution like groove monkee

Thanks for the path, as well as the generous midi files. but your link is not working.

I got this message when i clicked on the URL :

"this goo.gl shortlink has been disabled. It was found to be violating our Terms of Service"

Salamat
Old 09-07-2016, 07:35 PM   #133
GrooveMonkee

Ah, my friends at Google....

Here's the link with apologies to anyone who tried to download:

http://bonzo.groovemonkee.com/resour...ee_midi_sm.zip

Last edited by GrooveMonkee; 09-07-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:25 PM   #134
hamish

Thanks Russ! Welcome to the friendly REAPER forums too.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:31 AM   #135
endorka

I had a listen to the demo tracks, sound brilliant. I can only imagine the amount of effort required to make this project happen. Great work chaps.

Jennifer
Old 09-08-2016, 05:47 AM   #136
GrooveMonkee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
Thanks Russ! Welcome to the friendly REAPER forums too.
Cheers Hamish!
Old 09-08-2016, 06:22 AM   #137
ivansc

Welcome indeed, Russ! Been a long time user of a couple of your libraries, especially those sloppy new orleans grooves. Great stuff.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:08 PM   #138
GrooveMonkee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Welcome indeed, Russ! Been a long time user of a couple of your libraries, especially those sloppy new orleans grooves. Great stuff.
Cheers Ivan! Much appreciated. Glad to hear you're enjoying the grooves...and by "sloppy" I assume you mean the "in the crack" feel between straight and swung so common in those styles. We need to do more of that stuff!
Old 09-08-2016, 10:13 PM   #139
suleiman

hi russ, just sent you a pm requesting to post the gm midi grooves on the sm drums page , with the relevant credits.

Salamat
Old 09-09-2016, 05:22 PM   #140
GrooveMonkee

Quote:
hi russ, just sent you a pm requesting to post the gm midi grooves on the sm drums page , with the relevant credits.
Suleiman,

Just replied...let me know if you need anything else from me. I'm honored to contribute something to the cause. Thanks for posting the grooves!

Last edited by GrooveMonkee; 09-09-2016 at 05:26 PM. Reason: revision
Old 09-09-2016, 06:39 PM   #141
suleiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveMonkee View Post
Suleiman,

Just replied...let me know if you need anything else from me. I'm honored to contribute something to the cause. Thanks for posting the grooves!
Thank you !
Will be posted by monday .

Salamat
Old 09-09-2016, 11:03 PM   #142
Jeffsounds

Seriously, I am going to HAVE to get into this one some day soon. I keep seeing the thread but just haven't had the chance to check it out.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #143
hamish

There are many 'flavours'. If you own Kontakt I highly recommend using Tods versions.

For a totally different experience, but even more detail, use Suliemans ReaSamplomatic5000 versions, but only if you have at least 16 GB of fast RAM in your box. On older laptops it just won't happen.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #144
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Seriously, I am going to HAVE to get into this one some day soon. I keep seeing the thread but just haven't had the chance to check it out.
Hi Jeff, back when you had that mixing contest for one of your songs, it was SMDrums that I used to replicate the real drummer.

I thought they sounded pretty good with that song.

Heh heh, I know you didn't want to use anything but the original drums, and you made that very clear, but I just couldn't help but take the opportunity to see what I could do with the SMDrums at the time.

Hope you forgave me...
Old 09-11-2016, 12:27 PM   #145
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hi Jeff, back when you had that mixing contest for one of your songs, it was SMDrums that I used to replicate the real drummer.

I thought they sounded pretty good with that song.

Heh heh, I know you didn't want to use anything but the original drums, and you made that very clear, but I just couldn't help but take the opportunity to see what I could do with the SMDrums at the time.

Hope you forgave me...
I'll have to go back and give that one a listen. I'm sure I still have it around here somewhere. All is in the past, eh?
Old 09-11-2016, 12:43 PM   #146
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
I'll have to go back and give that one a listen. I'm sure I still have it around here somewhere. All is in the past, eh?
I think this is it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8s...ew?usp=sharing
Old 09-11-2016, 07:26 PM   #147
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Ah, yes. I remember that one now. Thanks for the memory knock!
Old 09-11-2016, 07:40 PM   #148
suleiman

Quote:
There are many 'flavours'. If you own Kontakt I highly recommend using Tods versions.

For a totally different experience, but even more detail, use Suliemans ReaSamplomatic5000 versions, but only if you have at least 16 GB of fast RAM in your box. On older laptops it just won't happen.
till the day rs5k gets "direct from disk streaming" or hell freezes over

Salamat
Old 09-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #149
hamish

'tis true... I wonder how complex that would be. I am really curious about whether sampler instrument vendors would support it. Or if users here might put their hands up and create more RS5K goodies. I'd be up for doing an e-bass, minimum.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:12 PM   #150
Tod

Quote:
I'd be up for doing an e-bass, minimum.
Heh heh, let's do it.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:15 PM   #151
hamish

ok, I have a Yamaha 5-string. I play/record, Suli edits and you (Tod) script. Sound fair?
Old 09-11-2016, 11:35 PM   #152
suleiman

Quote:
ok, I have a Yamaha 5-string. I play/record, Suli edits and you (Tod) script. Sound fair?

sounds like a plan, and i need to do something / anything to take my mind off other things

at least : 5 velocity layers, 3 round robins and 18 semitones for each the first four strings.

i know its not as meticulous as the drums, but it should be enough for anyone who knows how to use it.

I would happily do the tx16wx and rs5k versions, and might tackle the sfz (but would happily have the two experts at kvr, pljones or DSmolken do it). Tod is awesome at Kontakt , and we have a possible backup for that with bigcat (kvr again).

tod / hamish : feedback ? ideas ? am i just talking crap ? is my idea too much detail or too little.

i REALLy wanna add some kind of groove engine / sequencer where you can at least give straight note sequences as text to quickly generate midi, but i cant do it with my skillset or tools.....

Salamat
Old 09-11-2016, 11:50 PM   #153
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Did anyone make a Trigger Instrument out of this?
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:00 AM   #154
suleiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Did anyone make a Trigger Instrument out of this?
nope, otherwise it would be on the website.

doesnt hurt to try, all the smart boys know why

Salamat
Old 09-12-2016, 12:09 AM   #155
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Are there raw files for the kicks and toms too? I see the snare, I could give it a try...I think this is too detailed for Trigger, but we could still make it work I think
Old 09-12-2016, 12:16 AM   #156
suleiman

Quote:
Are there raw files for the kicks and toms too? I see the snare, I could give it a try...I think this is too detailed for Trigger, but we could still make it work I think
Do you mean raw files as in stems for the unedited hits as single files, or do you mean the edited WAV files ?

we have edited wav files for each drum instrument clearly labeled as per velocity levels and round robins in all the kits.we have NO locked formats, which we believe is bullshit , especially for sharing a free labour of love.

i dont think trigger handles multichannel wav files (the mega reaper drum kit) so you are better with downloading the kontakt kit (courtesy Tod) and using those unlocked wav files for trigger. should be pretty easy and fast.

https://smmdrums.wordpress.com/2016/...customization/

BTW, have you tried xln's trigger yet ? just curious

Salamat
Old 09-12-2016, 12:23 AM   #157
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Wait, the Kontakt one has wavs? I'm confused
Old 09-12-2016, 02:49 AM   #158
suleiman

Quote:
yep, like I said EVERY SINGLE ONE of the available formats, including the mega reaper kit, the kontakt kit, tx16wx versions, the sfz version ALL have unlocked WAV files included.

go to each respective format's page and see how it's laid out.

at least read the intro man.

unlike common myth, kontakt instruments can be made and shared with open wav files instead of locked formats.

Salamat
Old 09-12-2016, 06:00 AM   #159
Tod

Quote:
Right pipe, in fact they are all 44.1K/24-bit/wave files.

All versions except the Kontakt version are stereo files for both the cymbals and drum kit parts. Kontakt has stereo cymbals but 3 to 4 mic positions on the the drum kit parts (Kick, Snares, Toms).

For those that want all stereo files, you can get them from the Reaper thread.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:51 AM   #160
Tod

Quote:
Quote:
at least : 5 velocity layers, 3 round robins and 18 semitones for each the first four strings.
Well I think it might depend on which of the strings are the first 4 strings. I think the tuning goes B, E, A, D, G, is that right Hamish?

Off the top of my head, things to consider:

> What kind of a bass style, and/or how many tones?

> How many articulations?

> Separation of notes, half step, full step, 1-1/2 step (3 semi-tones)?

> Finger, pick, or both?

> Method of recording, direct, miced, or through pre-amp (like a bass head)? Or maybe all three?

Those are just a few things off the top of my head, but of course it all this depends on you Hamish, and what you think/feel about it. What are you thinking?