Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 07-25-2015, 03:01 AM   #41
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

It is a bit naive, as MS won't buy Yamaha really...

Won't happen, since ASIO is very desktop-specific. Native Windows audio API targets ALL the possible computing devices via their universal app model, not just desktop/laptops. That's the difference. People commenting there seem to have absolutely no idea about how Windows operates and what's possible, what is not and why.

They're improving WDM/WASAPI tremendously, that is a BIG thing. It's going to work across all the devices (provided apps use the new AudioGraph API). Which means CoreAudio/ASIO-like performance via WDM/WASAPI. That is just great. And they WILL expand upon it in due time, supporting device aggregation and many other things.

Good times ahead, IMHO.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 07-25-2015 at 03:08 AM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:29 AM   #42
SmajjL

Is any taste of this new WASAPI improvement implemented yet so I could try it on the latest the insider build for example?
Or is this 'future plans & the famous 'soon'?

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:29 AM   #43
SmajjL

*Annoying buzzer!* Sorry, to slow! problem solved.
Ps, Can't wait to see the user stats on 8 vs 10 'soon'

Last edited by SmajjL; 07-25-2015 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:28 AM   #44
JHughes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
You have one year to reserve W10 for free, is how I understand it.

You should likely install W10 on the new drive cleanly, that will be possible.
As I understand it, your first install of Windows 10 has to be an update, after that you will be allowed to do a clean install.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:31 AM   #45
Art Evans
Mortal

I decided that my XP machine which is 7 years old now might not last much longer, so I've bought a shiny new PC with as advanced a spec as I could afford (then spent $500 more) currently running Windows 7. I've put a few key programs on that (including Reaper of course) and I'll upgrade that to W10 as soon as convenient (and as soon as it actually downloads - I suspect they may spread out the download over several weeks). If that goes OK I'll gradually do the same for the rest of my machines. And of course if it doesn't (unlikely) then I won't have screwed up an essential PC.

However - on the XP PC I have an Echo Mia Midi card, and a firewire card, and it will be interesting to see if W10 drivers for these appear in due course, as ideally I'd like to install them in the new PC later.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:15 AM   #46
SmajjL

The title sounds like a bucket list.
*me ducks*

Old 07-25-2015, 10:20 AM   #47
novaburst

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
interesting. thanks for that, paulheu.

@novaburst: there's an option to just download and not install so the background installing thing can be opted out of.

bottom line i'm hearing is that, if it runs on 7/8 it runs on 10 and compatibility is very good.

BabaG

I here a lot of 10 users say its ok, I think I will wait and keep an eye on it I have a lot to lose and to little to gain,

But I do see a lot of software for windows 7 say windows 10 ready so you may have a point.
novaburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:26 AM   #48
babag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
As I understand it, your first install of Windows 10 has to be an update, after that you will be allowed to do a clean install.
that seems unlikely to me. especially with an iso being made available.
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:35 AM   #49
SmajjL

Compensating for my lovelly humor**

Keeping things alive 'working' is one thing, drivers that will make Full use of your gear another.
Just to be able to reach internet is good, so make sure you have drivers on a partition outside of the OS c:\ or on a USB.
And this precaution of having the driver like this is so, you can get more drivers and\or help.
Sometimes you can use drivers through compatibility mode with drivers made for Windows7, sometimes 8\8.1 also, that will give you full use.
Still early and we all want our stuff to be 100%, and some companies are quicker then others. *me zips*
If you can, try or pre-find out on specific gear what people say and in this case, 'internet whiners' can be usefull.
Ps, i disslike 'soon' very much right now.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:59 PM   #50
Shootkin

Finally Reaper is in the Major League. It's a miracle!

"Cuckos" lol.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:30 PM   #51
Kiddo

Default SO FAR SO GOOOOD/NO CRASHES

ALL BELOW WORK AS THEY DID ON WIN 7PRO 64BIT
EVERYTHING SEEMS SOLID I WILL PROBABLY UPGRADE STRAIGHT AWAY.
WIN 10 SEEMS TO HAVE CURED A (VERY OCCASSIONAL CLICK PROBLEM) I HAD ON THE FOCUSRITE, WHICH WAS ANNOYING AS I COULD NOT CURE IT, I TRIED EVERYTHING.
1ST NEW OPERATING SYSTEM THAT DIDN'T PUT MY SCANNER IN SUICIDE MODE YEH! PROGRESS.
HAVE WIN 10 EVAL COPY FOR ABOUT 3/4 WEEKS AND IT SEEMS STABLE SO FAR. MIXES THE BEST OF 7 AND 8 AND IS LOOKING GOOD.

4770K 16GB RAM
MSI Z87 MPOWER MOTHERBOARD
FOCUSRITE SCARLETT 18i6 SOUND CARD/SCARLETT MIXCONTROL
GUITAR RIG
AMPLITUDE
ADDICTIVE DRUMS
REAPER
PRIMO RAMDISK ULTRA
EPSON 1400 PRINTER
CANNON 700F SCANNER
HP LASERJET P1102
IDEAZON Z ENGINE MERC STEALTH KEYBOARD
CONTOUR SHUTTLE PRO V23
REALTEC HD AUDIO
Kiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #52
Shootkin

Old 07-25-2015, 08:02 PM   #53
joelsampson

I have been running Windows 10 on two machines for several months. I have had zero problems with any drivers or applications. For what it's worth. . .
Old 07-26-2015, 12:41 AM   #54
paulheu

I run a TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6 which is a bit wobbly on every new Insider preview build install. The tcnear.sys driver will crash when you leave it plugged in and you have to first open the ASIO control panel and then plug it in. Oddly enough after that it's fine.

When notified I got the usual 'we do not support pre-release versions of the OS' even with the RTM version I run now which is the release version.

This is the thing, these ignorant companies will be the main reason why anyone would be running into issues. Microsoft has been very good at fixing issues over the pas months and anything I found was generally resolved on the next preview build.

My biggest concern is that the horrific attitude of some companies to 'not even consider fixing possible issues until it blows up on release day' will give the trolls a reason to start bad mouthing Windows 10 while it's anything but the OS causing the issue here. It was the main driver giving Vista its bad rep as well.

When an early build back in January broke iLok it took a few days, but their support came back with a firm 'it will be fixed' and it was on he next preview build. Other than these two I really have not had any issues to speak of.

Last edited by paulheu; 07-26-2015 at 12:53 AM.
paulheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:20 AM   #55
RobertP

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsampson View Post
I have been running Windows 10 on two machines for several months. I have had zero problems with any drivers or applications. For what it's worth. . .
joel, it would be good to know what you were running: reaper version, interface, controllers, the main things really, if you have the time.
cheers
Old 07-26-2015, 02:40 AM   #56
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
ALL BELOW WORK AS THEY DID ON WIN 7PRO 64BIT.........
I suggest you don't capitalize every word, in Internet speak that is angry shouting. People will simply ignore your posts.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:05 AM   #57
Softsynth

Regarding fresh install. Apparently not possible (with free update version) without performing the upgrade to your existing install first:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...362e475?auth=1
Old 07-26-2015, 04:22 AM   #58
RobertP

I have to say that I am not a wizz with this stuff but this gives me the willies.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...7-9613c49e5272

I know I have not installed stuff on my pc in the best way but it does all work. Maybe I am not getting it but the thought of having to do an install right from scratch - win 7 pro/8/8.1/downloading the win 10 update again - just appalls me. I have never had win 8/8.1 so I think maybe I couldn't do it anyway - win7 direct to 10? who knows.

But then, If I want to carry on making tunes I could stay with win7 and update before the year is up or buy it and do a complete new install. Or I could just stay with W7.
sheesh!
Old 07-26-2015, 05:23 AM   #59
Softsynth

Misc100,

Read the link in my post above yours then you should understand.

The way I understand it Win 10 initially just installs as any other Windows 7 update (this registers it with Microsoft). Any subsequent installs can be done as a fresh install, you can use an ISO file after the first install.
If your Windows install is working perfectly as an update then a fresh install is pretty much pointless.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:25 AM   #60
SmajjL

You never know the future, but I am waiting for the boxed version to hit the store as this might be the last physical one.
The 30th of August? damn, this will be difficult.
Does the 'RTM have a 30-day thing or has anything changed with that?
Also, the RTM's agreement should differ from the technical preview, I hope.

Another hint of though for the 'experts' with a human memory.
Think about the 'MBR' before should you wanna go back and reinstall 7.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:48 AM   #61
paulheu

If you sign up for the Insider program now and get the RTM you will either have to stay in the insider program to keep getting updates, including the intermediate 'beta' updates in between official releases, or you can end your insider program and you will then have to re-install your previous WIN7 or 8.1 install and update from there.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:49 AM   #62
paulheu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Regarding fresh install. Apparently not possible (with free update version) without performing the upgrade to your existing install first:

It's simple to do through the advanced recovery and security options in settings. That will in effect do a clean install.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:14 AM   #63
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulheu View Post
It's simple to do through the advanced recovery and security options in settings. That will in effect do a clean install.
You mean from the ISO file; this will allow a recovery install, even though Microsoft have not already verified it as an upgrade version, is that what you're saying?
Old 07-26-2015, 06:14 AM   #64
SmajjL

Thanks paul, that's what i 'thought, beeing an insider is rewarding along with the agreement.
It's fair though and a choice, can't complain.

Ps, now who stole my USB stick?!..

Old 07-26-2015, 07:17 AM   #65
plush2

Quote:
You mean from the ISO file; this will allow a recovery install, even though Microsoft have not already verified it as an upgrade version, is that what you're saying?
The capability of a clean install is now built right into the installed OS recovery tools. No need for an ISO. I did a clean install on one of my machines with the preview.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:47 AM   #66
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
The capability of a clean install is now built right into the installed OS recovery tools. No need for an ISO. I did a clean install on one of my machines with the preview.

I understand that, but that is the preview version, not the update. People here are asking about the finished article, as supplied in the upgrade version.
Paulheu seems to be implying that you can miss out step one (install Win10 as update) and go straight to install as recovery.
This despite several sources saying this is not possible, including my link:

Last edited by Softsynth; 07-26-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:13 AM   #67
novaburst

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsampson View Post
I no you have omnisphere, but what ather plugins do you run, do you have waves, izotope, mixbus3, halion 5, do you work with kontact, and komplete,

synth master, dune 2 and 1 what about camel audio

are we going to rely on 10 to sort the drivers out or the plugin comperny to give us some assurance that its ok on 10

I would hate to be putting aside tons of plugins because of glitch problems in 10

But my wish is that all is ok with out glitch but does that ever happen
novaburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:57 AM   #68
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaburst View Post
I no you have omnisphere, but what ather plugins do you run, do you have waves, izotope, mixbus3, halion 5, do you work with kontact, and komplete,

synth master, dune 2 and 1 what about camel audio

are we going to rely on 10 to sort the drivers out or the plugin comperny to give us some assurance that its ok on 10

I would hate to be putting aside tons of plugins because of glitch problems in 10

But my wish is that all is ok with out glitch but does that ever happen
I think you'll only have to wait a few days to find out about any sob stories if there is going to be any hiccups with the big boys. So Download it, wait a week or so before installing it. Follow NI and KVR forums wait for the fallout, if there is any. You can be sure lots of people will kick up a fuss if it all goes wrong.

Maybe you won't even have to reregister some of them if it is done as an update. Have to wait and see.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:06 AM   #69
babag

if nervous about the upgrade, just do what i do: clone your drive and install on the clone.

i have a case full of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817990001

kingwin removable trayless caddies so i can swap out drives easily. a big upside is they're all connected directly to the internal sata bus.

BabaG
Old 07-26-2015, 12:23 PM   #70
plush2

Quote:
I understand that, but that is the preview version, not the update. People here are asking about the finished article, as supplied in the upgrade version.
Paulheu seems to be implying that you can miss out step one (install Win10 as update) and go straight to install as recovery.
This despite several sources saying this is not possible, including my link:

You are right, you cannot install a fresh version of 10 from the ISO. You must upgrade and then use the reset facility to install a clean OS. It seems a pretty trifling distinction as the result is as intended...unless one does it the wrong (first) way and blows away their upgradeable Windows install. Do not do that.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:05 PM   #71
paulheu

Quote:
That's not what I meant, you install the update and THEN go through the option in Settings > update&security > recovery > advanced startup > Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove everything

That will basically do a clean install.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:10 PM   #72
Softsynth

Plush2, Paul,
I've read a few forum threads with people saying that they really didn't want to have to do this double install to get the option of a fresh install. Hence the clarification. Cheers.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #73
Softsynth

The benefits of periodically reinstalling Windows is a persistent myth.

A well maintained modern PC will get no genuine benefits from a fresh install, unless your system has real problems, it only seems like it at first on your virtually empty drive.

Back in the days of 95 & 98SE then the occasional refresh was worth doing but with the modern systems when they are stable there's no point. Just install the update and be done.
Of course any new Windows install feels slightly more sprightly than a fully loaded system. How much of a difference that will make on virus free, trim enabled NTFS SSD that's up and running in a few seconds is another matter.

If you've got bloat-ware filling up your system drive then of course a new install will feel quicker, but then it is far quicker to simply uninstall the nonsense bloat-ware.
As an example I installed the Android software for my phone. This added about 20 seconds to the start up of my SSD!, I kept it on my machine for about a week; after removing it the load time lost those extra 20 sec's, back to 10-12 sec's.
If your machine has gotten slow over the years or months it's usually down to needless background processes you never use. Just remove them instead of reinstalling Windows!
Old 07-26-2015, 02:51 PM   #74
dea-man

Quote:
If your machine has gotten slow over the years or months it's usually down to needless background processes you never use. Just remove them instead of reinstalling Windows!
The rub is knowing exactly which of those background processes one can safely remove or shut off.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:16 PM   #75
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
The rub is knowing exactly which of those background processes one can safely remove or shut off.
Most programs that actually slow a PC down come with install/uninstall facility. Those background processes should disappear when the programs go.

So control panel>Programs>Uninstall a program.
If you are unsure about any program residing on your PC just Google it.
The whole process is vastly quicker than reinstalling all your programs and getting your machine just so after a new install.

Actually installing a fresh install of Windows is pretty painless and fairly quick these days, especially with an SSD drive. It's all the hassle afterwards when you have to reinstall and configure everything else and realise how involved that can be.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:19 PM   #76
clepsydrae

Win 10 Home (and I don't have the pro version of 8.1, so my understanding is that 10 Home is all I could get unless I spend $200) will apparently not allow the user to disable the automatic downloading and installation of updates, which is a total non-starter for me... until/unless they allow disabling that somehow I'll be staying away as long as I can.

Not that I don't like to stay current with updates; just that I have zero interest in an OS that decides on its own when and how it wants to change itself. Especially on a DAW, lord. I get where they're coming from and totally support it as a default config, but hopefully the userbase will clamor for a registry key.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #77
babag

Quote:
...The whole process is vastly quicker than reinstalling all your programs and getting your machine just so after a new install.
unless you have an image of that 'just so' system.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:42 PM   #78
Softsynth

Quote:
unless you have an image of that 'just so' system.
A drive image that you can apply to your fresh install of a brand new (never before used in your system) version of Windows?
Old 07-26-2015, 04:54 PM   #79
babag

i thought we were talking about cleaning up an existing system by searching out and removing processes and applications. sorry.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:38 PM   #80
Softsynth

Quote:
i thought we were talking about cleaning up an existing system by searching out and removing processes and applications. sorry.
No worries.