Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 12-07-2019, 10:26 AM   #1
JamesO512
Human being with feelings

Default vertical snapping in automation envelopes

It would be wonderful to have vertical snapping in automation envelopes! Ideally, one would be able to control the number of vertical divisions (horizontal lines) and then have an option to snap to them, the option to enable this being separate from the normal time-snapping.

I routinely find myself wanting to use automation envelopes to bend notes in a smooth fashion to land on a very specific value, automating such things as the master tuning control of a synth, the tuning of one oscillator, and so on. Without the option to snap vertically, this can be very tedious, sometimes requiring using a calculator and then manually entering the desired value. It would save lots of time and tedium to be able to snap. Currently, it is so tedious that I often hesitate to try many creative things that come to mind.

Just today, I was automating pitch changes like this in a synth whose master tuning control ranges from -12.5 semitones to +12.5 semitones. To perform vertical snapping in automation envelopes for note-bending in this synth would require being able to set the range of vertical values from -12.5 to 12.5 and then snapping to some increment, perhaps half a semitone. It would be nice to be able to set both the range and the snapping increment.

Other applications for such a feature might be such things as automating rate changes in an LFO, with increments set at values corresponding to time divisions. I've had occasion to want to smoothly change such a rate and have the rate land exactly on something like 16th notes, and then smoothly change to 32nd notes, and so on.

I am sure there are many other uses for such a feature that I am not imagining!

I would be incredibly grateful if such a feature would be added! I am sure many others would be glad for such a feature as well! It would make an already powerful DAW much more powerful!

It would be very nice to have the same feature in the CC lane in the MIDI editor as well!

Last edited by JamesO512; 12-07-2019 at 12:54 PM.
JamesO512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #2
deeb

what do you think of this one? : "req: Modifier for CC and Envelopes to Snap to Nearby Points"
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=226794

and this one? : "Param Anchor points for envelope lane and osc/midi learn and mod"
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=225652
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:17 PM   #3
JamesO512

Hi deeb!

Your ideas look fairly similar. I think we can agree that some kind of vertical snapping, guides, anchors (as you suggest), and so on, would be extremely useful!

I did some searching earlier and found that Cakewalk apparently has vertical snapping for automation envelopes. And it is free now, so I am installing it right now to check it out.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:42 PM   #4
JamesO512

I tried Cakewalk for a while. The vertical snapping there isn't at all what I was looking for. It only snaps vertically to the value of the previous point or to the two previous horizontal line segments.

I can't believe how much harder to use Cakewalk is in general than Reaper!
Old 12-08-2019, 07:36 AM   #5
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO512 View Post
I tried Cakewalk for a while. The vertical snapping there isn't at all what I was looking for. It only snaps vertically to the value of the previous point or to the two previous horizontal line segments.

I can't believe how much harder to use Cakewalk is in general than Reaper!
Cakewalk way of dealing would be already very useful, but snap to nearby values would be Imo better. The anchor points would be maybe too much? Maybe not
Old 12-10-2019, 04:50 AM   #6
tpunk

I felt stressed because I couldn't snap to the appropriate scale.

Studio One could easily snap in semitones, but REAPER had a hard time not being able to.

The item envelope seems to be able to snap in semitones easily, so if you can make similar semitone snaps to the track envelope and CC lane envelope, even beginners like me will be able to work easily and actively. I think that is possible, and it was so in Studio One.

I love the flexibility and evolution of REAPER.
Even though I recommend REAPER to my friend who uses Studio One, it is sad that there are some things that I can't turn around because of these small things.
tpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:15 AM   #7
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpunk View Post
I felt stressed because I couldn't snap to the appropriate scale.

Studio One could easily snap in semitones, but REAPER had a hard time not being able to.

The item envelope seems to be able to snap in semitones easily, so if you can make similar semitone snaps to the track envelope and CC lane envelope, even beginners like me will be able to work easily and actively. I think that is possible, and it was so in Studio One.

I love the flexibility and evolution of REAPER.
Even though I recommend REAPER to my friend who uses Studio One, it is sad that there are some things that I can't turn around because of these small things.
Could you do a licecap how studio ones does this?
Old 12-10-2019, 09:12 PM   #8
tpunk

Now I went to Studio One to confirm the operation.
However, it was not possible to snap in semitone units.

It seems my mistake. I'm sorry.

However, this problem has always been a problem, so I hope you will realize it.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:30 PM   #9
JamesO512

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpunk View Post
The item envelope seems to be able to snap in semitones easily
Yes. That is useful for some things. But I'd like to be able to have this kind of control over automating the controls inside the synth, without bending pitch after it comes out of the synth, as that can cause a number of problems with the sound. And you can't do something like bending oscillators separately, before effects in the synth and so on.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:23 PM   #10
tpunk

I think the same is true if the contents of Google Translate are not wrong.

For example, with a setting of + -1 octave, it would be helpful just to be able to snap the upper and lower envelope limits to 12 equal parts each, or twice as much as 24 equal parts.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:04 AM   #11
Vagelis

Take pitch can snap to semitones if you choose this option, but then if you move the point with the modifier "move envelope point with fine adjustment" and you 'd expect to move the point in cents, it's not working...

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=227480

Last edited by Vagelis; 12-12-2019 at 03:56 AM.
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:34 AM   #12
wwcdgm

You can try this semitone script.

zaibuyidao_Insert Pitch Bend (Semitone) .lua -- Inserts a pitch bend, with a value ranging from -12 to 12. Enter 1 to get a pitch bend value of 683, Enter 2 to get a pitch bend value of 1366, and so on.

You can download it here:
https://github.com/zaibuyidao/ReaScripts

Or add a repository from ReaPack:
https://github.com/zaibuyidao/ReaScr...ster/index.xml

Last edited by wwcdgm; 12-14-2019 at 07:46 AM.
wwcdgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:49 PM   #13
J Reverb

I made these last year but never got around to posting them properly.
2 Lua scripts

JR Snap envelope points to nearest semitone on pitchbend automation lane negative 24 steps
JR Snap envelope points to nearest semitone on pitchbend automation lane positive 24 steps

These will do +/- 12 semitones with selected envelope points.
I use them with ReaControlMIDI pitchbend envelope to replace the wheel.

Hope someone will find them useful
Attached Files
File Type: zip JR Snap envelope points to nearest semitone v1.zip (2.2 KB, 182 views)
J Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:31 PM   #14
tpunk

Thank you for the wonderful script.

It will be very helpful.

I would be happy if the function of "JR Snap envelope points to nearest semitone on pitchbend automation lane" can also be used in CC lanes.

Isn't that made?
Old 12-19-2019, 02:20 PM   #15
J Reverb

sure ..... could do keep you posted should do a reapack i guess ? anyone help to do that ? j
Old 12-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #16
tpunk

I don't know how to post a rear pack, but if you can use it, I think there are many people who can help.

I'm sad that I can't make my own script and I can't help.

However, as I wrote in this thread, I would like to move to the target notebook as intuitively as possible.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=228581
Old 12-20-2019, 08:20 PM   #17
tpunk

If you can't do something like a piano roll envelope for the time being, JamesO512's “Ideally, one would be able to control the number of vertical divisions (horizontal lines) and then have an option to snap to them, the option I fully agree with the statement "to enable this being separate from the normal time-snapping."
Old 12-26-2019, 12:20 PM   #18
J Reverb

Doesn't seem to be behaving itself when it comes to pitch lane in CC but to be honest I don't use CC for automation unless it's specific events so probably gonna give that a miss.
There are however scripts that increase/decrease values and time for envelope points already if you want to tweak stuff. I do have a script that does cents but rarely use it as the ear is the best tool and prefer to adjust the osc on the synth for detune.
Hope this finds you well.
J.

Edit.. I would use 'wwcdgm' script (posted above) for midi editor Pitch solution and work from there. It's a good way to do it if you change the curves to suit. Personally I prefer everything in view at all times. Good luck

Last edited by J Reverb; 12-26-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:50 AM   #19
tpunk

I'll do my best with my ears as you said.

However, this is sometimes a difficult feature, so it is a desired feature.

Thank you for telling me variously.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:44 AM   #20
JamesO512

Somehow, I never got around to thanking some of you for your scripts. Shame on me! I just now tried them and they are very helpful!

I really wish Cockos would add a vertical snapping feature to automation envelopes, but in the meantime, your scripts give a better way than what I was doing previously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwcdgm View Post
You can try this semitone script.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Reverb View Post
2 Lua scripts
Thank you!
Old 07-04-2021, 02:47 AM   #21
ArtemiHo