Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-27-2020, 05:04 PM   #1161
tack
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnus8 View Post
I have the same problem too. I double clicked/right clicked the articulations on midi items. Articulations are shown in the Bank/Program select lane but when i listen it those articulations aren't played.
Do you have any of the libraries listed in the factory banks such that you can create a small test project and email it to me?
tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:22 PM   #1162
cygnus8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post
Do you have any of the libraries listed in the factory banks such that you can create a small test project and email it to me?
I sent an email with an example.
cygnus8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:47 PM   #1163
tack

Quote:
I sent an email with an example.
Thanks. It's always so much easier with an actual project.

So the problem is that you've assigned the bank in Reaticulate to source channel 2, but all your events in the MIDI item are on channel 1.

Configure it like this and you should be golden:

Attached Images
File Type: png reaticulate-channels.png (5.9 KB, 556 views)
Old 11-27-2020, 06:59 PM   #1164
cygnus8

Quote:
Thanks. It's always so much easier with an actual project.

So the problem is that you've assigned the bank in Reaticulate to source channel 2, but all your events in the MIDI item are on channel 1.

Configure it like this and you should be golden:

Wow thanks. I was going mad trying to fix this. I thought my midi data is on channel 2 because i am using only one kontakt and multiple patches on it. And that midi was on the 2nd midi channel of that kontakt. I am wondering that is there any kind of routing that would be true with my assigned banks that i sent on the example project?
Old 11-27-2020, 07:10 PM   #1165
tack

Quote:
I thought my midi data is on channel 2 because i am using only one kontakt and multiple patches on it. And that midi was on the 2nd midi channel of that kontakt.
Right idea, but you had the concept flipped. We need to ultimately route to channel 2, because that's where the V1 patch is listening in your Kontakt multi. But the events from the MIDI item were coming from channel 1.

So whereas before your configuration said "route everything coming in on channel 2 to channel 2 [source]" you really wanted it to say "route everything coming in on channel 1 to channel 2". Alternatively, you could set Reaticulate's source channel to Omni and its destination channel to channel 2. This means you could have events on any channel inside the MIDI item and Reaticulate would route everything out to channel 2 indiscriminately.

Quote:
I am wondering that is there any kind of routing that would be true with my assigned banks that i sent on the example project?
Assuming I'm interpreting your question right, the only one that would have worked is the full ensemble track, because this was set to channel 1 -> source. So events on channel 1 would get routed back out to channel 1 (the source of the events), and that matches up to the channel the ensembles patch was loaded in Kontakt.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:17 PM   #1166
cygnus8

Quote:
Right idea, but you had the concept flipped. We need to ultimately route to channel 2, because that's where the V1 patch is listening in your Kontakt multi. But the events from the MIDI item were coming from channel 1.

So whereas before your configuration said "route everything coming in on channel 2 to channel 2 [source]" you really wanted it to say "route everything coming in on channel 1 to channel 2". Alternatively, you could set Reaticulate's source channel to Omni and its destination channel to channel 2. This means you could have events on any channel inside the MIDI item and Reaticulate would route everything out to channel 2 indiscriminately.

Assuming I'm interpreting your question right, the only one that would have worked is the full ensemble track, because this was set to channel 1 -> source. So events on channel 1 would get routed back out to channel 1 (the source of the events), and that matches up to the channel the ensembles patch was loaded in Kontakt.
Oh i understand. Thank you so much.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:28 PM   #1167
_Stevie_

Totally unrelated to the mentioned issues but I will update my nudge notes script so that it will nudge selected notes + controllers (also program/bank change). There will also be a script that will enable to toggle select all the CCs in the lane under the mouse cursor under selected notes. That way it will be much easier to nudge notes together with the articulation.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:38 PM   #1168
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Totally unrelated to the mentioned issues but I will update my nudge notes script so that it will nudge selected notes + controllers (also program/bank change).
Cool, thanks for the PSA. I'll have to play with this.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:20 PM   #1169
Wills01

Default Feedback

I have prepared about 80 banks for reaticulate... I previously did the same for expression maps in Cubase... Reaticulate is clearly easier and the integration of the result in the piano roll is more relevant... for me, it is a very good feature...
Wills01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:21 AM   #1170
Nika

Quote:
Left-clicking the articulation activates it but doesn't insert it into a MIDI item. For that, you need to right-click or double click.

Also be sure to show the Bank/Program Select lane, so you can see which articulation changes exist within the MIDI item.

HTH.
Thanks a lot, it works now :-)

Just another question: in the piano roll, when I move a note on the timeline, the articulation does not follow, I have to delete it andd re-create the articulation. Is there a way for the articulation to follow the note?
Nika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:27 PM   #1171
Joel Parker

This is a great addition to reaper, it will reduce the number of tracks big time. Maybe I'm dumb or just new to daws but let me explain my troubleshooting problems for anyone using some of the same gear for similar purposes. (virtual orchestrating)

Assuming basic installation is accomplished let's configure the gear.

Midi keys
Bite Breath controller 2
BBC so VSTi

1. I insert a midi item then I configure the midi controllers to record envelops on the respective track. (this is a task in itself for the bite breath controller--make sure to turn off channels in configuration tool and learn one parameter at a time: tilt then nod etc. save this as a track template) set record to only envelops no midi record. If expression is good enough on recording start next step.

2. Prepare for reaticulate actions. The bbc so vst will need to be cleared back to default settings, put on keyswitch. The midi learn will need to be removed from envelops: put back to default and don't delete otherwise recorded envelops will disappear. Disable midi keys and breath controller in preferences. All templates are saved so you can re record edit envelops if you want.

3. At this point reaticulate is ready to rock.

I think the reason why it wasn't working consistently before is because envelop midi learn channels were interfering with cc information.

Once again reaticulate is great.
Joel Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:30 AM   #1172
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika View Post
Thanks a lot, it works now :-)

Just another question: in the piano roll, when I move a note on the timeline, the articulation does not follow, I have to delete it andd re-create the articulation. Is there a way for the articulation to follow the note?
Yes, there will be:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1167
Old 12-02-2020, 06:14 PM   #1173
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika View Post
Enable these two options from the MIDI editor actions:
- Options: CC selection follows note selection
- Options: Bank/program change events follow note selection when CC selection follows note selection

In any case there wouldn't be any need to delete/recreate the articulation change -- you could always just move the PC event manually. But with the above options enabled, it'll give a better UX.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:52 AM   #1174
benf

Quote:
I emailed you my guitar notation icons.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:55 AM   #1175
Kitarraman

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I'm redoing Reaticulate's articulation icons to better support retina displays in the future, and in the process I thought I would add some additional icons to fill in some of the gaps. For example, portato.

If you've ever felt some articulations were not well represented by the current icon set, please let me know what I should add, and what you think it should look like.

Thanks!
Hi Tack! There are those icons that NI used for some of the articulation in Symphony Essential and Collection, would it be ok if I made you a screen capture straight from the Library's GUI and send it over?
Kitarraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:28 AM   #1176
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitarraman View Post
Hi Tack! There are those icons that NI used for some of the articulation in Symphony Essential and Collection, would it be ok if I made you a screen capture straight from the Library's GUI and send it over?
Sure, happy to take a look at those. But I will probably not recreate icons that don't already appear somewhere in music notation mainly due to copyright reasons.

The current set of icons are screen-scraped from Spitfire patches. This is the only thing about Reaticulate that's non-free. I have special permission from the copyright holder for distribution as part of Reaticulate.

As I've been recreating the icons from scratch (using other sources like free fonts from Musescore), I've been considering any icon representing notation found elsewhere to be free. But there are some special Spitfire icons representing experimental things (such as alt-gypsy or alt-wave) that I've not seen elsewhere, and even though I'm recreating those icons from scratch they will be released under the same non-free terms.

So, long story short, I don't want to get into further murky copyright-related water with new icons.

But if there are icons in there that are idiomatic or found elsewhere in any score, IMO those are fair game for reproduction.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:22 PM   #1177
_Stevie_

Ah, the Spitfire part is interesting

Thanks so much for doing this!
Old 12-05-2020, 01:54 AM   #1178
Kitarraman

Quote:
Sure, happy to take a look at those. But I will probably not recreate icons that don't already appear somewhere in music notation mainly due to copyright reasons.

The current set of icons are screen-scraped from Spitfire patches. This is the only thing about Reaticulate that's non-free. I have special permission from the copyright holder for distribution as part of Reaticulate.

As I've been recreating the icons from scratch (using other sources like free fonts from Musescore), I've been considering any icon representing notation found elsewhere to be free. But there are some special Spitfire icons representing experimental things (such as alt-gypsy or alt-wave) that I've not seen elsewhere, and even though I'm recreating those icons from scratch they will be released under the same non-free terms.

So, long story short, I don't want to get into further murky copyright-related water with new icons.

But if there are icons in there that are idiomatic or found elsewhere in any score, IMO those are fair game for reproduction.
Ok then, give me some time to check if these icons are already used in music notation, so I won't flood your inbox with useless crap
Old 12-05-2020, 09:36 AM   #1179
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitarraman View Post
Ok then, give me some time to check if these icons are already used in music notation, so I won't flood your inbox with useless crap
Thanks! I appreciate your doing the legwork.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:43 AM   #1180
Kitarraman

Quote:
Thanks! I appreciate your doing the legwork.
Don't mention it, it's a pleasure
Old 12-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #1181
fbeauvaisc

Hi tack,

I've been in an out of Reaper and Cubase the last couple of years but this time looks to be the last. 3rd time's the charm. I got used to programing my articulations with Atom but I was wondering if a UI for map creation is still on the horizon.

I work as a composer at company that specializes in sound and music creation and integration for video games. I've been trying to convince my colleagues to make the jump to Reaper. The majority of the sound designers there are already working with Reaper but for my composer colleagues, losing there precious expression maps in Cubase is a hard sell. To me, Reaticulate already has a bunch of advantages compared to expression maps, the multiple midi ports support is just amazing. So the only thing missing really is a UI for map creation.

Personally, I got used to text editors but I would not mind an map editor. Just wondering.

Cheers,
fbeauvaisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:35 AM   #1182
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbeauvaisc View Post
I was wondering if a UI for map creation is still on the horizon.
It definitely is. I see it as one of the biggest barriers to adoption right now.

It's going to be in 0.6. The next major release, 0.5, is a big internal change to pave the way.

The problem is, as always, free time. The good news is that I have a bunch of vacation coming up this month and my goal is to get 0.5 out the door, at least as a pre-release. And then I can finally turn my attention to the bank editor GUI.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #1183
fbeauvaisc

Wow that's great news. I totally understand. Is backwards compatibility a challenge at this point? Do you have a donation link somewhere? I'd be more than happy to help with what I can. Among musiciens, with all that's happen, I feel very lucky to still be working these days. Besides, Steinberg has taken enough of my money already.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:46 AM   #1184
tack

Quote:
Is backwards compatibility a challenge at this point?
It definitely gets increasingly more challenging as I make the kinds of big internal changes that I'm planning for 0.5.0. But I'm committed to backward compatibility as much as is reasonably possible, and always with at least two versions. I'm pretty sure projects made with 0.1.0 will still work with the latest release.

Quote:
Do you have a donation link somewhere?
I'm flattered to say this is asked frequently enough that I decided to put something on the website about that.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:59 AM   #1185
fbeauvaisc

Quote:
It definitely gets increasingly more challenging as I make the kinds of big internal changes that I'm planning for 0.5.0. But I'm committed to backward compatibility as much as is reasonably possible, and always with at least two versions. I'm pretty sure projects made with 0.1.0 will still work with the latest release.

I'm flattered to say this is asked frequently enough that I decided to put something on the website about that.
Wow I'm amazed at the Reaper community, you're the second one to turn down a donation this week. We'll I'll definitely pass it along to someone more in need then. Thanks for the great work and making our lives easier!

Last edited by fbeauvaisc; 12-05-2020 at 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-05-2020, 08:12 PM   #1186
_Stevie_

Quote:
It definitely is. I see it as one of the biggest barriers to adoption right now.

It's going to be in 0.6. The next major release, 0.5, is a big internal change to pave the way.

The problem is, as always, free time. The good news is that I have a bunch of vacation coming up this month and my goal is to get 0.5 out the door, at least as a pre-release. And then I can finally turn my attention to the bank editor GUI.
Jason, I’m totally looking forward to UUIDs in 0.5. I find this even more important than the GUI, because it’s really hard to track down all the MSB/LSB combinations left. And my OCD prohibits me to squeeze libraries in between free slots

So, thanks a lot for making that transition happen!
Old 12-06-2020, 10:13 AM   #1187
tack

Quote:
Jason, I’m totally looking forward to UUIDs in 0.5. I find this even more important than the GUI, because it’s really hard to track down all the MSB/LSB combinations left. And my OCD prohibits me to squeeze libraries in between free slots
Maybe I shouldn't tell you this, lest I really tweak your OCD, but Reaticulate will be assigning MSB/LSBs somewhat randomly.

(It's actually based on a hash of the UUID, but it looks random.)
Old 12-06-2020, 10:51 AM   #1188
_Stevie_

La la la, I'll just overlook what you just wrote, LOL.
Kidding, sounds like a good idea (based on the hash).

Will we still be able to drag a staccato item over to another track and it will still call the staccato articulation on that instrument?
Old 12-06-2020, 10:59 AM   #1189
tack

Quote:
Will we still be able to drag a staccato item over to another track and it will still call the staccato articulation on that instrument?
That'll work the same as today, yeah. It of course requires the program number for staccato to be the same on both banks, but you already know that.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:01 AM   #1190
_Stevie_

Awesome!
Yep, trying to be consistent here :P
Old 12-08-2020, 11:18 AM   #1191
daeavelwyn

Default reaticulate and WRB Web Remote Builder

Hey folks !

Just a short question (but maybe a long answer) : How can I get Reaticulate to work with WRB (https://reaperblog.net/course/reaperwrb-2/) ?

Any help will be really appreciate !
daeavelwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 02:12 PM   #1192
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeavelwyn View Post
Just a short question (but maybe a long answer) : How can I get Reaticulate to work with WRB (https://reaperblog.net/course/reaperwrb-2/) ?
I've never used WRB, but assuming it can emit MIDI events, you could create buttons that send a MIDI CC with different values (with the value representing the articulation program number) and bind it to one of the "Activate articulation by CC" actions.

If it only works by triggering specific actions, I don't think it can work, because Reaticulate doesn't have discrete actions for activating articulations (it would need 2176 separate actions for this: 128 programs * 16 MIDI channels, plus another 128 for the default channel).

And there's no way to "pass arguments" into a single action. You can't even use the same action for multiple notes, because the reaper.get_action_context() API is useless. (Oh boy, I think I've pushed my own buttons here. )
Old 12-08-2020, 04:02 PM   #1193
daeavelwyn

Hi Tack,

Ok, thanks for your quick reply, in fact it seems WRB can't trig MIDI Even, just reaper actions.

Any chances to get reaticulate displayed in a navigator such Reaper remote settings offer ?
Old 12-08-2020, 04:46 PM   #1194
fbeauvaisc

Quote:
Hi Tack,

Ok, thanks for your quick reply, in fact it seems WRB can't trig MIDI Even, just reaper actions.

Any chances to get reaticulate displayed in a navigator such Reaper remote settings offer ?
If you're using an ipad, I recommend you check out Metagrid. Not a cheap app but it can send midi notes and CC.
Old 12-08-2020, 05:49 PM   #1195
tack

Quote:
Quote:
If you're using an ipad, I recommend you check out Metagrid. Not a cheap app but it can send midi notes and CC.
TouchOSC would work as well.

You could also use an Elgato Stream Deck for articulation switching. There is a MIDI plugin for Stream Deck that allows outputting arbitrary events. It's on my to-do list to do a tutorial video on this, but I want to finish off the icon work first since the new high resolution icons would fit nicely with the Stream Deck
Old 12-08-2020, 07:18 PM   #1196
_Stevie_

@Tack

But the issue is, that you have to put your most common used articulations on the Stream Deck, because Reaticulate can't populate the buttons on demand (yet ).

I'm using a HannsG HT 225 touch screen and put Reaticulate there.
Best user experience IMO.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:15 PM   #1197
daeavelwyn

Quote:
Arf, I just have an Android tablet.

Quote:
TouchOSC would work as well.

You could also use an Elgato Stream Deck for articulation switching. There is a MIDI plugin for Stream Deck that allows outputting arbitrary events. It's on my to-do list to do a tutorial video on this, but I want to finish off the icon work first since the new high resolution icons would fit nicely with the Stream Deck
Yep, I saw a video where you use the stream deck, bu as I'm already owning a tablet I'd rather to have look at TouchOSC I guess

Quote:
I'm using a HannsG HT 225 touch screen and put Reaticulate there.
Best user experience IMO.
Woo ! sounds great but a bit expensive for me :-(
Old 12-09-2020, 12:33 PM   #1198
_Stevie_

Cheaper than an iPad! But if you already own a tablet, then I agree. Then it's too expensive.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:39 PM   #1199
tack

Quote:
But the issue is, that you have to put your most common used articulations on the Stream Deck, because Reaticulate can't populate the buttons on demand (yet ).
I was looking at the Stream Deck plugin API and it looks like it would be possible to dynamic change the buttons based on current articulations, but it's unclear how Reaticulate could communicate with it. Lua doesn't support any native socket APIs. :/ I'd need to implement it in Python, AFAICT.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:51 PM   #1200
tack

Quote:
Yep, I saw a video where you use the stream deck, bu as I'm already owning a tablet I'd rather to have look at TouchOSC I guess
Open Stage Control is another option. Looks vastly more flexible than TouchOSC, but also needs a bit more elbow grease to get installed. I plan to do a bit of experimenting over the Christmas break.