Old 07-15-2017, 12:27 AM   #1
Joshery
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
Default Routing Problems

New guy here! Let me know if there's a better spot to post this...

So I've recorded some stuff through a Scarlett 18i20 into Reaper on a Macbook with the latest OS. I want to use an FMR RNC to compress the main drum bus.

So, on the drum bus I added a hardware output, aside from the master send: out lines 3 and 4 on the Scarlett. So it's going into the RNC, and I can see gain reduction working on that little guy.
Then, I have the outputs on the RNC going back into mic lines 1 & 2 on the Scarlett (which doesn't have any 1/4" inputs other than the ones that double as mic inputs). I create a new track, which I hope to print, and who's inputs are mic lines 1 & 2. When I arm that track for recording, I have compressed audio coming through onto it.

However...

I can't hear the new compressed track alone. Because if I solo it or mute the source drum bus in any way, even when it's on pre-fader, I mute what's being fed into my new track so it's silent. And thus if I wanted to compress with the RNC I'd be blindly turning knobs then printing and hoping it was bearable.

What am I doing wrong?

(Yes, record monitoring is on, and no, ReaInsert has never worked properly for me.)
Joshery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:31 PM   #2
Joshery
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
Default

Literally nobody has any clue?
Joshery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:31 AM   #3
DarkStar
Human being with feelings
 
DarkStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 16,598
Default

I'll guess that no-one was sure that they had got the right understanding of your set-up so were reluctant to offer advice.

If I do - try unticking the Master / Parent Send on the drum bus track Routing window. With luck it will still be output to the Scarlett, RNC then back to Reaper.
__________________
DarkStar ... interesting, if true. Inspired by ...

My top 40 FRs, as voted by you (updated for August 2016)
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #4
Joshery
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
Default

I appreciate the response, I'll give it a shot! Sorry for any confusion, maybe this will help...

Individual Drum audio tracks -> drum bus
Drum bus -> outputs 1/2
Drum bus -> outputs 3/4 (using a send, now set to pre-fader)
outputs 3/4 -> FMR inputs
FMR outs -> interface inputs 1/2
inputs 1/2 -> Audio track we'll call DrumComp
DrumComp -> outputs 1/2
Joshery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #5
Joshery
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
Default

It didn't work!

Anyone have any last-ditch ideas? This is a big enough problem to warrant switching to a different DAW.
Joshery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #6
DarkStar
Human being with feelings
 
DarkStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 16,598
Default

Your routing looks OK to me. What part didn't work? What led you to that conclusion?
__________________
DarkStar ... interesting, if true. Inspired by ...

My top 40 FRs, as voted by you (updated for August 2016)
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:46 PM   #7
Joshery
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Your routing looks OK to me. What part didn't work? What led you to that conclusion?
The only problem is that muting the 'send' or source track also mutes the new track that I'm trying to compress with hardware. So I can't ever hear the new track on it's own, to set levels properly.
Joshery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:01 AM   #8
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings
 
foxAsteria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Axis Mundi
Posts: 3,908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshery View Post
The only problem is that muting the 'send' or source track also mutes the new track that I'm trying to compress with hardware. So I can't ever hear the new track on it's own, to set levels properly.
if the send is pre-fader, you should at least be able to lower the fader for the source track if you can't mute it.
__________________
TwilightMysterySchool
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:22 AM   #9
DarkStar
Human being with feelings
 
DarkStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 16,598
Default

Track Mute is the first control on a track. It comes before the HW Send on a track. Have a look at the User Guider 6.29. Try dragging the Volume fader right down instead.
__________________
DarkStar ... interesting, if true. Inspired by ...

My top 40 FRs, as voted by you (updated for August 2016)
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:30 PM   #10
Tod
Human being with feelings
 
Tod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Just outside of Glacier National Park
Posts: 10,592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshery View Post
Individual Drum audio tracks -> drum bus
Drum bus -> outputs 1/2
Drum bus -> outputs 3/4 (using a send, now set to pre-fader)
outputs 3/4 -> FMR inputs
FMR outs -> interface inputs 1/2
inputs 1/2 -> Audio track we'll call DrumComp
DrumComp -> outputs 1/2
So when you say, "Drum bus -> outputs 3/4", I assume you are sending the Drum bus to "Hardware Outputs", right?

Humm, why are you sending to both hardware outputs, 1/2 and 3/4? You should only be sending to 3/4, right? Then are you patching outputs 3/4 to your inputs 1/2 on your interface (you may be able to do this with the interface software)?

Then select the track that you want to record the compressed drums on, set it up for audio inputs 1 and 2, then "Arm" it, with "Monitor" enabled. Now you should be able to hear the compressed drums when you play your tracks.

Last edited by Tod; 07-19-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Tod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #11
Joshery
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
So when you say, "Drum bus -> outputs 3/4", I assume you are sending the Drum bus to "Hardware Outputs", right?
Humm, why are you sending to both hardware outputs, 1/2 and 3/4? You should only be sending to 3/4, right? Then are you patching outputs 3/4 to your inputs 1/2 on your interface (you may be able to do this with the interface software)?
I shoulda specified; I mean 1 & 2 are the main monitor outputs, and 3 & 4 being my first next available outputs.
Joshery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:04 PM   #12
DarkStar
Human being with feelings
 
DarkStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 16,598
Default

What happened when you tried this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Track Mute is the first control on a track. It comes before the HW Send on a track. Have a look at the User Guider 6.29. Try dragging the Volume fader right down instead.
__________________
DarkStar ... interesting, if true. Inspired by ...

My top 40 FRs, as voted by you (updated for August 2016)
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:14 PM   #13
Joshery
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
What happened when you tried this?
The volume on the receiving track still dropped with it.

Ok, update: I couldn't fix it in Reaper but found a way to get around it in the Scarlett's routing (not the easiest way to do it, but it worked. Maybe one day ReaInsert will actually work and I won't have to change Scarlett Mixcontrol every time.)

However, now the problem is that the sending and receiving tracks have huge phase issues because they play at the exact same time.
Joshery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:06 PM   #14
Joshery
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
Default

I realized that if I had the record monitoring on the printed track while it printed, it would have phase issues. But if I shut if off it works.

Thanks for your patience guys!
Joshery is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.