Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #521
Jeffsounds
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Thank you.
Now, see? You guys have gone and given Kenny a big head and everybody knows it's really the WRITERS who deserve the credit...

Just kidding, Kenny. You're vids are freakin' awesome!
Old 08-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #522
Jacos

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyc View Post
Bought the vids after remembering how long it took me to understand the basics of a light version of cubase with just the crappy beginners manual.
If your time is valuable and you haven't got your head round Reaper yet, don't even think about it - just buy these vids......
+1. I'm also ex- Cubase Elements. I think this applies even more to Reaper, because it offers so many options, and being aware of them from the start makes the whole thing more comprehensible and learning is quicker.

On a very low budget, keen to progress a hobby project I'm working on, and used to struggling through new DAWS somehow on my own, I thought hard about the US$35 purchase for 2 weeks while trialling Reaper.

I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago, and from a few moments later when I opened the first vid, I felt like a millionaire. Every time I have a free hour I'm torn between diving in and starting work using what I already know, or watching another video. I'm up to number 7 (with a sneak advance peek at "Using MIDI").

I actually love manuals and use them happily, and I find the Reaper one outstanding, but your vids "turn the pages back and forth" to give an overview that can be applied immediately.

I'm staggered by how you've got the scope and ordering of content just right, and the speed of delivery is perfect for me ( I quickly adjusted to the rapid but clear speech) - never boring, not a single wasted word, no inexplicable leaps in the action, and no hanging threads. When I have a "wha-a-at? how's that again?" moment I can almost always answer myself after a few tries in Reaper, rewatching the section.

When I can't, it's usually because I began watching them with non-default prefs and options settings. It might have been even better if I'd been patient enough to put my project aside for a week and start using Reaper with default prefs and keyboard settings, WITH these tutorials.

The necessary clarification of each part of a process is by repetitions so minutely varied and correctly placed that we learn the options while getting the concept reinforced...and still without a wasted or unnecessary word.

I'm constantly wondering how you do this Kenny- is the flow and the teaching process so embedded in the teacher it just comes out that way straight off, or do you watch, try it out, rescript and re-edit till you get all these details perfect? That's kind of a rhetorical question, but having very laboriously scripted, voiced and edited an amateur instructive video of my own I am genuinely curious. You may have revealed all this somewhere, I haven't had time to read ALL of this thread...as I still have vids to watch . And then that project...
Jacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #523
Bezmotivnik

Kenny goes into a lot of arcane stuff, but he never actually explains how to set up Reaper for dual drives in the setup tutorial. He alludes to separate drives, but doesn't go into it. It's like he meant to, but forgot.

I'm stuck in the gate until he explains this.

If he's monitoring the thread, I'd appreciate a quick cookbook how-to on setting up the smart paths. I'm sure it's not complex.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2014, 03:37 PM   #524
Jacos

Did you get an answer yet? I'm sure there are people who will happily advise on this in a new thread- and I would like to read it too.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:56 PM   #525
Bezmotivnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacos View Post
Did you get an answer yet?
No, but I'm working on it in a resurrected old thread.

The usual plan, Reaper + OS on C: with Project, Audio, FX files on D:

Simple, but need the instructions on what paths to set up and where in the Reaper menus.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #526
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezmotivnik View Post
No, but I'm working on it in a resurrected old thread.

The usual plan, Reaper + OS on C: with Project, Audio, FX files on D:

Simple, but need the instructions on what paths to set up and where in the Reaper menus.
It is simple. You create a new project, open project settings and type "Audio Files" into the recording path. Now you save the project on to your D drive with the "create subdirectory" option selected.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #527
Kenny Gioia

Quote:

I'm constantly wondering how you do this Kenny- is the flow and the teaching process so embedded in the teacher it just comes out that way straight off, or do you watch, try it out, rescript and re-edit till you get all these details perfect? That's kind of a rhetorical question, but having very laboriously scripted, voiced and edited an amateur instructive video of my own I am genuinely curious. You may have revealed all this somewhere, I haven't had time to read ALL of this thread...as I still have vids to watch . And then that project...
I appreciate that you (and others) notice this because the answer is the same reason why it takes me 10X longer to make videos than other people and why I can't release too many free ones. I really think these through very carefully and think about how I would want to learn.

Thanks
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #528
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Kenny goes into a lot of arcane stuff, but he never actually explains how to set up Reaper for dual drives in the setup tutorial. He alludes to separate drives, but doesn't go into it. It's like he meant to, but forgot.

If he's monitoring the thread, I'd appreciate a quick cookbook how-to on setting up the smart paths. I'm sure it's not complex.

Thanks!
Hopefully this was answered above?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2014, 07:14 AM   #529
Bezmotivnik

Quote:
Hopefully this was answered above?
I got it answered elsewhere. It was simple, as I expected.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #530
Kenny Gioia

cool
Old 08-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #531
hopi

Quote:

Thanks!
Well for one thing, the precise 'how' and 'why' is going vary a lot between users and will depend on what they 'need' or want to accomplish.

I have reaper 64 bit full install on one drive C. I have two portable version installed also, one on D and one on E. The one on D is what I mostly use. The one on E is for Theme Testing.
I have VST folders on two other drives.
I have Kontakt Content on 3 diff drives.
I have reaper projects on E drive...

...you start to see what I mean by depending on the user?
Old 08-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #532
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post

...you start to see what I mean by depending on the user?
Which is why I try to stay away from user dependent topics.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:54 AM   #533
planetnine

Quote:

Thanks!

I thought you meant this: http://www.cockos.com/reaper/guides/...path_guide.pdf

-multiple recording paths...

>
Old 08-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #534
Jacos

Looked at the link Planetnine gave above, hoping it might clear up 2 small problems I have. I think it's the answer, but I don't understand it

Problem 1. When I save a project in a new folder, naming the folder eg "New Song", I find later that the folder "New Song" is within another folder, also called "New Song". This serves no purpose, it seems to me. What am I doing wrong?

Problem 2. I have an "Audio Files" project created by default, which works Can I do the same for Peaks files? How, precisely? (step by step please - I've read bits about what to do with Peaks files, but I didn't "get it").

And since this is a Kenny Tutorial thread, I'll just mention that thanks to having downloaded and spent a month working through the "Reaper 4 Explained" series, I am now better placed to make some music than I have been in 8 years of intermittent Cubase Elements use - not necessarily due to the difference in DAWs, but due to having an excellent manual and these tutorials. As I'm simultaneously grappling with MIDI and my first sample library, I have now bought Reaper Signal Flow (the first section was invaluable; the rest may be mostly covered by "Explained"?) Tips and Tricks, and Advanced SWS.

[EDIT- no, not all already covered in "Explained" - I'm still learning more from the Signal Flow series. Definitely the best-spent dollars ever ]

When I finally get down to making music, I should finally be able to pursue the muse for a reasonable period of time before having to stop and figure out how to do what I want.

Last edited by Jacos; 08-25-2014 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Correcting self, then edit edited - not clear
Old 09-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #535
ahs

i have just bought tips and tricks and so i have all !!!!
pls mooore
ahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:26 PM   #536
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahs View Post
i have just bought tips and tricks and so i have all !!!!
pls mooore
Coming soon.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2014, 01:57 AM   #537
ahs

maybe somewhat about programming small js plugins ?
ahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #538
JHughes
Banned

I want to see "Editing in Reaper". Just finishing a song that about put me under due to the thousands of edits that I did the hard way.

Also, surprised that Kenny hasn't posted it, but there's a half-price sale right now. "Mixing in Reaper" retails for $40, I bought it last month for $35, and a week or so later (now) it's $20, dangit.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #539
dobro

Dangit, indeed. The same thing has happened to me with Groove 3 stuff. Step one: buy it. Step two: notice the following week that the same thing's on sale.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #540
Kenny Gioia

Editing in Reaper?

Hmmmm
Old 11-12-2014, 09:35 PM   #541
JHughes
Banned

Hmmm indeed!

Between your videos and the Reaper Power book, I've got it covered.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:35 PM   #542
dobro

Quote:
Editing in Reaper?

Hmmmm
Do it. But you'll have to start a new line in your signature.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:57 PM   #543
rvman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
I want to see "Editing in Reaper". Just finishing a song that about put me under due to the thousands of edits that I did the hard way.

Also, surprised that Kenny hasn't posted it, but there's a half-price sale right now. "Mixing in Reaper" retails for $40, I bought it last month for $35, and a week or so later (now) it's $20, dangit.
+1 on Editing in Reaper.

I combined the sale with my groove cash that I had built up and got EZ Drummer 2 Explained for just under $3.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #544
dobro

On the basis of the two Kenny videos I got, I then bought other Groove 3 videos, but found that although they were useful, they weren't as good as Kenny's stuff. Hey Kenny, can you have a word with those guys at G3?
Old 11-13-2014, 05:58 PM   #545
rvman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobro View Post
On the basis of the two Kenny videos I got, I then bought other Groove 3 videos, but found that although they were useful, they weren't as good as Kenny's stuff. Hey Kenny, can you have a word with those guys at G3?
LOL. I've got a yearly pass on Groove3 and agree that some are better than others. I went ahead and bought most of the Reaper vids so I can watch them without being on the net. Kenny is very good.....a natural.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:31 AM   #546
europa_man

Default Reaper - Tips & Tricks Vol 2

Quote:
Editing in Reaper?

Hmmmm

I'm sure you've got it in you Kenny!

It's time for Tips & Tricks Vol 2

Keep up the great work.

Eric

Last edited by europa_man; 11-19-2014 at 06:33 PM. Reason: mistake
europa_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:08 AM   #547
JHughes
Banned

Hello, sorry if this has been asked: Is there any reason at all to buy the Reaper 3 Explained video since I already own the Reaper 4 Explained video?

Thanks Kenny!
Old 11-22-2014, 01:24 AM   #548
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
Hello, sorry if this has been asked: Is there any reason at all to buy the Reaper 3 Explained video since I already own the Reaper 4 Explained video?

Thanks Kenny!
Not any reason that I can think of.

Reaper 3 Explained was made first and then I re-made it when version 4 came out.

It stills pretty well (I guess some people still use Reaper 3) so we keep it up there.

If you want to learn more, check out Reaper Tips and Tricks, Reaper Advanced or Mixing in Reaper.

All half price this month.

Thanks for the support.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #549
JHughes
Banned

Thanks for the reply. Oh yes, I'm definitely taking advantage of the half-price deals.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #550
rvman

Hey Kenny I have a question....

I've bought all the Reaper videos except the Routing video. Will the Routing video teach me something that all those other videos don't cover in some way?

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:35 PM   #551
Boydbob

Quote:
Problem 1. When I save a project in a new folder, naming the folder eg "New Song", I find later that the folder "New Song" is within another folder, also called "New Song". This serves no purpose, it seems to me. What am I doing wrong?

Problem 2. I have an "Audio Files" project created by default, which works Can I do the same for Peaks files? How, precisely? (step by step please - I've read bits about what to do with Peaks files, but I didn't "get it").
Answer 1. Don't create a "New Song" folder.
Just select FILE - "Save project as.."
Navigate to your Reaper Songs folder.
Enter the "Song Name" in the dialog box
Make sure "Create sub-directory..." and "Move all media..." are checked.
hit SAVE

Answer 2. Go to Options (Control + P)
Find "General ... Paths"
You want the 3rd slot down. Make sure the box is checked.
Browse to, or create the folder where you want the peaks to go.
Click OK

Be nice to the old guy with all the new toys.
Boydbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:18 PM   #552
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvman View Post
Hey Kenny I have a question....

I've bought all the Reaper videos except the Routing video. Will the Routing video teach me something that all those other videos don't cover in some way?

Thanks.
Wow. That's a tough one as I really didn't consider it while making it.

I would say to read each videos description carefully. Hovering over each video will show more info:

http://www.groove3.com/str/Reaper-Si...Explained.html

If any of that feels like more than you've already absorbed, then go for it.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2015, 05:31 AM   #553
europa_man

Quote:
Wow. That's a tough one as I really didn't consider it while making it.

I would say to read each videos description carefully. Hovering over each video will show more info:

http://www.groove3.com/str/Reaper-Si...Explained.html

If any of that feels like more than you've already absorbed, then go for it.

Thanks
Kenny is too modest! From the 20 minute video about the Routing Matrix to Rendering there is a lot very useful information to learn about. The routing matrix video was extremely helpful to me. It lays out the complete blueprint of how Reaper handles all signals. I really enjoyed this series and have learned a lot from it.

I've gone from watching Kenny's video on the laptop, Play Station, Galaxy Tab and on my Nexus 4 cell phone. 10 to 15 minutes here and there really drives the information home for me. Lunchtime isn't complete without a little lesson on Reaper!
Hey Kenny, when can we expect "Tip & Tricks - Vol 2"?

Last edited by europa_man; 01-21-2015 at 05:34 AM. Reason: spelling
europa_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:24 AM   #554
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by europa_man View Post
Kenny is too modest! From the 20 minute video about the Routing Matrix to Rendering there is a lot very useful information to learn about. The routing matrix video was extremely helpful to me. It lays out the complete blueprint of how Reaper handles all signals. I really enjoyed this series and have learned a lot from it.

I've gone from watching Kenny's video on the laptop, Play Station, Galaxy Tab and on my Nexus 4 cell phone. 10 to 15 minutes here and there really drives the information home for me. Lunchtime isn't complete without a little lesson on Reaper!
Hey Kenny, when can we expect "Tip & Tricks - Vol 2"?
Thanks for the kind words.

I'm actually planning on releasing a bunch of Reaper Tutorials to coincide with Reaper 5. "Reaper 5 Explained" and "Reaper 5 Tips and Tricks" will definitely be first.

Also, I'm going to make a handful of free Reaper tutorials up until that release.

I would encourage you to subscribe to my K-List to get all of the info first.

http://www.kennymania.com

Thanks
Old 01-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #555
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words.

I'm actually planning on releasing a bunch of Reaper Tutorials to coincide with Reaper 5. "Reaper 5 Explained" and "Reaper 5 Tips and Tricks" will definitely be first.

Also, I'm going to make a handful of free Reaper tutorials up until that release.

I would encourage you to subscribe to my K-List to get all of the info first.

Thanks
Soooo... since you are going to 'coincide' YOUR release with REAPER 5's release, then you know the release date of Reaper 5?
Old 01-21-2015, 05:23 PM   #556
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Soooo... since you are going to 'coincide' YOUR release with REAPER 5's release, then you know the release date of Reaper 5?
Yes.

The way it works is that I first create the tutorials including all the features, then Cockos watches my videos, and adds those features.

So I have to wait for them.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:41 PM   #557
tut

Hey Kenny, love all your videos so much that I subscribed to
groove3 to watch them all repeatedly. Will your new Reaper vids be available there?
tut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:43 PM   #558
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tut View Post
Hey Kenny, love all your videos so much that I subscribed to
groove3 to watch them all repeatedly. Will your new Reaper vids be available there?
Besides selling them at Groove3, I also have videos on my site:

There's an even more exciting option that I'm considering. But I'll let you know as soon as I know.

But I do intend to keep making videos for Groove3 no matter what.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2015, 11:08 PM   #559
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Yes.

The way it works is that I first create the tutorials including all the features, then Cockos watches my videos, and adds those features.

So I have to wait for them.
Well, it was worth a shot...
Old 02-04-2015, 12:53 AM   #560
Kokopelli

Default Send Button Explained?

Here’s a question I haven’t found in the Reaper 4 Explained video:

I would appreciate an explanation of the buttons I have the red circles around in the attached photo. I did spend a good bit of time searching the manual and on my Groove3 video but I have not found the definitions or detailed purpose of these buttons so I’m having to guess and experiment and with very little success. Can someone please point me to the spot on the manual or video where this is explained or maybe explain the very basic overview here. Please see the attached photo.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Routing.jpg (43.1 KB, 169 views)
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote