Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2019, 07:55 AM   #15
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
100+ track numbers are problematic:

Since track numbers in Reaper with the usage of folders and separator track layouts does not guarantee anything, I'd suggest making them smaller so 3 digits can fit.
3 digits should fit, just. What OS are you on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
And then don't forget some working composers have a 4-digit track count in their projects.
Don't forget the existence of other themes, they are an implicit part of Reaper's UI solution, be it for specific use cases or accessibility or those people who run Reaper on their fridge's touchscreen.

That said, I think it might be possible to make the track number width really easy to mod, I'll have a look at that when I have more time.

Quote:
The solution for better visibility could be just to move the selection strip to the right, closer to the middle of the screen and to the user's eyes, and to make it bigger. You have already made space for it there. But it could be even wider than this. Could be also in the color of the track as I've seen in some other theme.

By moving this strip away from the left, you could gain some visual space for track numebers.

EDIT: Ok, that space is for meters. But it could be rearranged or put the selection strip all the way to the right of the track panel. And there could be even two, one on the very left and one on the very right.
I would literally be unable to do any of these suggestions, other than making the selection strip bigger, which seems excessive to me. Pleas try to bare in mind that I am stretching a theming system to its limits here, and it often fights back, its not a ground-up design.

Quote:
arguments for fixed buttons:

- both buttons are at the different position for different heights, I don't know where to quickly find them.
- hard to see boundaries of tracks
- there is space for them to stay next to each other
- no other button in the track panel changes its position, just these 2 buttons
Some good arguments, and nothing I disagree with necessarily. The whole swapping from horizontal to vertical thing just looks weird. I totally agree. Here are the counter arguments:

- Goal one, from extensive user request, was to never have the M/S buttons disappear like they did on V5 / other themes.
- Goal two, also from extensive user request, was to have them stay in 'roughly the same area' on a macro level. In this case, that is 'always next to the meter, no matter what, even if the meter is the other side'.
- When space gets small, something has to give. Things have to resize, move or disappear. Whichever I do is going to be in some way irksome. Doing 'shrink the meter, pull the solo button up' does indeed look weird, but on a pragmatic level it is the solution that hides the least amount of functionality, because a tiny meter still has some function.

Ideally I would be able to design without having to compromise one thing I don't like to solve another thing I don't like. Best I can do is to compromise one of them in one theme, and the other in the next theme. Much of this theme is about flipping the compromises made in the V5 theme. I'd love to be able to do the kind of thing I would in a ground-up design, like collapsing controls into clusters when space is small, but this is at its heart just a very glorified skinning task.

To be clear, we are waaaaaaayyyy past the point that any of these fundamentals are going to change. Sorry. Please test the script!