Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-27-2016, 03:22 AM   #1
Readysound
Human being with feelings

Default [5.27] Render output changes significantly when resampling to lower frequency

I record at 96/24. When rendering to WAV and resampling to 44.1Khz (or 48Khz) in Reaper the resulting audio is very different; the volume is affected particularly for lower frequencies. Rendering to native 96 Khz is fine.

See attached image or : https://i.imgur.com/Flm1zkH.jpg

The top wave is a Reaper render to 96 Khz - it sounds perfect

The middle wave is at 44.1 Khz, resampled down from the above 96Khz source using an external encoder (I've tried Xrecode and Sound Forge) - sounds perfect and the wave forms looks the same as the 96Khz wave.

The bottom wave is a Reaper render to 44.1 Khz - it sounds different (worse) and the wave looks very different compared to the other two.

This happens regardless of the resampling mode used, the bit depth (24 or 16) or the output file format used. I noticed this a few months ago and it's still the same with the latest version.

I now use an external encoder to downsample but does anyone know why Reaper does this and if it can be fixed? It seems like a pretty big issue and it could catch a lot of people out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reaper-Resample-Problem.jpg (59.1 KB, 262 views)
Readysound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:57 AM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Does this also happen with absolutely no plug-ins in the project? Issues like this are often caused by a plug-in doing things differently at different sampling rates (during render only).
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:40 AM   #3
Readysound

Thanks for the reply Ollie,

I've been testing this today. It doesn't happen when plugins are disabled - I went through all of them and found the plugin that seems to be responsible.

I thought the Reaper rendering process would perform the resampling step after taking the project audio at the native sample rate which would eliminate any issues caused by plugins. It would be nice to see this feature since plugins can interfere with this step.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:19 AM   #4
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
I thought the Reaper rendering process would perform the resampling step after taking the project audio at the native sample rate which would eliminate any issues caused by plugins. It would be nice to see this feature since plugins can interfere with this step.
When rendering in REAPER to 44khz, do you have the project samplerate set to 96khz and the render option "Use project sample rate for mixing and FX/synth processing" checked? Try that, if you want the behavior you describe.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:28 AM   #5
Readysound

That option has been checked all along, the plugin still influences the downsample to 44.1Khz. Project sample rate is 96 Khz (confirmed top right of project window also).
Old 10-27-2016, 07:39 AM   #6
Readysound

Ignore that - I just set it to 96Khz in the project settings and it now works. Thanks a lot!

This is still quite misleading though... If that option is not manually set in the project settings (ie, it's unchecked, which is the default) Reaper says "the Hardware default will be used". And it is being used, the whole project is at 96Khz. When rendering, the option you mention about "Use project sample rate for mixing..." is ghosted but ticked, which implies it must be on and using the project sample rate - which IS 96 Khz... though it clearly isn't.