Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-21-2020, 10:01 AM   #1
dave_t
Human being with feelings

Default Display MIDI program number or patch name?

Is there a script or utility (or could one be made) to display the patch name of the current MIDI program (or just the MIDI program number) in the track controls?

Still trying to perfect my hardware synth control setup - now I can change programs remotely from my MIDI controller, but I'd like to see the patch name or program number in REAPER. I've looked at the forum and the interwebs for a solution, without success.

There is a thread in this forum (see below) that suggests that a program number is a value that a REAPER script can get, but I don't know scripting, I don't know how to write a script that might go get that value, and then display it.

See:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=227296

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Dave_t
dave_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:41 PM   #2
mschnell

Display Current Program No would be easy to do by a JSFX.

With Reaper 6 embedded plugin view that would look rather nice
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:55 AM   #3
EvilDragon

This is possible to do by assigning relevant ReaControlMIDI controls as track controls.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:25 AM   #4
dave_t

Thanks for the replies. I *can* use ReaControlMIDI to change programs, and I can create a track control for the Program. The track control then displays the program name from a .reabank file. To use it, though, I have to use the rotary knob in the track control. I have to rotate the knob with a mouse (always using the "Ctrl" key as well, because otherwise it scrolls through the list too fast).
But I also want to use a MIDI controller to step through the programs. I figured out a way to do this with PizMIDI's midiProgramChange utility - there is a control to increment or decrement the program number by one, and I link those controls to 2 buttons on my MIDI controller (I made a forum post on that issue, too, and then answered my own question). Doing that doesn't update the .reabank program name in ReaControlMIDI, or in the track control.
If I have to, I can use the track control with my mouse, so yeah, the ReaControlMIDI is a good suggestion, thank you. But it would be even better if I can hit the button on my MIDI controller, have the program go up one, and see the change in the track controls. I might have to roll up my sleeves and learn to script.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:18 AM   #5
EvilDragon

Do you have that pizmidi plugin before or after ReaControlMIDI? It should be before. Then you should be able to see the program names change.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:02 PM   #6
dave_t

Default some progress...

I've got midiProgramChange before ReaControlMIDI, but reaControlMIDI doesn't react to the program changes from midiProgramChange.

I'm not at my music computer, but I'm testing it with the plugins as follows: midiProgramChange -> ReaControlMIDI -> ReaSynth. I've set up a bunch of presets on ReaSynth named preset 1, preset 2, etc. I've loaded a custom .reabank file in ReaControlMIDI. Changing the Program in midiProgramChange changes the settings and the preset in Reasynth, but nothing changes in ReaControlMIDI

However, I'm getting closer to what I need. If I put midiProgramChange on the track, and link the "Program" slider in *that* plugin to the track controls, it shows the program number in the track control. And I can still trigger the programs to go up and down by one. And the track control updates with the new number.

Now I have feedback of the program number, but not the name from the .reabank file, but it's an improvement. If I keep a numbered list of the synth presets handy at least I can reference that.

Now, how to make the .reabank name in ReaControlMIDI react to the program change? Maybe it's a matter saving the presets differently. I'm not really sure how .rpl and .fxb and .fxp fiiles work, or whether using them might make a difference. Back to the testing bench...
Old 01-22-2020, 01:53 PM   #7
EvilDragon

OK I made it work with RCM.

Try this: first do something with the Program dropdown menu (or just type any number to send a program change. Now click the Param button in Reaper's plugin header, and choose MIDI Link, then Program Change. Now RCM's Program menu will respond to incoming program change messages, and you will see your ReaBank patch names shown on track controls if you've set the Program parameter to show in track controls. It works!
Old 01-22-2020, 02:17 PM   #8
dave_t

Default Solved! Thank You!

Holy cow, it's working! Thanks so much for taking the time, that's amazing! You're right, with a .reabank loaded, and the Program parameter in ReaControlMIDI linked to "Program Change", midiProgramChange can now talk to ReaControlMIDI, the patch names follow, and can be sent to the track controls!
I have to try it with my hardware at home, but the "trigger" mode in midiProgramChange works fine using a mouse, and I got that parameter to respond to my MIDI controller yesterday, so it should be all sorted.

Thanks again!
Old 01-22-2020, 03:08 PM   #9
EvilDragon

Hey, no sweat. Glad you have it working!
Old 01-28-2020, 11:55 PM   #10
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Display Current Program No would be easy to do by a JSFX.
With Reaper 6 embedded plugin view that would look rather nice
See -> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=230815
-Michael
Old 02-10-2020, 01:33 AM   #11
mschnell

Now available on Reapack -> "Midi Display Patch Name"
-Michael