Old 02-05-2018, 07:03 PM   #1
Allan Love
Human being with feelings

Default Connecting Axiom 25 to Reaper

im trying to connect my M-Audio Axiom 25 2nd Gen 25-Key USB MIDI Keyboard Controller to reaper v5.40/x64, but im having trouble figuring out how.

one dilemma is that a friend gave me this MIDI for free, but it didn't come with a disc to install the MIDI software.

another dilemma is i believe im missing the usb cord thats used to connect to my comp, so im trying to use the cord that i got from my scarlett solo second gen, which works but that might be a problem later on, if i need both interfaces attached to my comp. i can probably order one if need be, but idk if thats necessary?

long story short, does anyone know anything about Axiom 25 and how to connect to reaper with the challenges im facing?

ps: if you know any links that i can use to download the correct software, that would be much appreciated. im new to reaper and m-audio in general.
Allan Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:39 AM   #2
DarkStar

http://m-audio.com/support/drivers
and
http://m-audio.com/support/documents

I would ask M-Audio about a USB cable (Yes you will need to connect both, separately, by USB.) http://m-audio.com/support/contact
Old 02-06-2018, 06:53 AM   #3
G-Sun

Plug n'play.
Just connect that usb cable. It's generic drivers
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:10 AM   #4
karbomusic

^This. They have secondary software to talk to DAWs for special features, but that isn't required for basic keyboard/controller functionality and having an Axiom 49, I've never installed or used it.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
Allan Love

great thanks guys ill look into it
Old 02-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
Allan Love

so the usb problem is solved.

as far as the software goes, i spoke with m-audio customer service and the guy said the software that came with Axiom 25 (which is a certain version of Ableton), is outdated, but he said the MIDI will work with most any DAW, including Reaper. He said once i connect the Axiom up to my comp, that at that point, it's just a matter of finding the MIDI map in Reaper.

So my question to any Reaper experts out there: how do i find the MIDI in Reaper, once everything is connected up?
Old 02-08-2018, 02:15 PM   #7
slipstick

Preferences (Ctrl-P)/ Audio / Midi devices. If your keyboard is connected it will show up in there, you just need to enable it, right click, select "Enable".

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:08 PM   #8
Allan Love

so i enabled the Axiom 25 in Reaper, but now i'm somewhat lost. im a total noob at this so i have no idea where to begin. how do i open up a page that i can start messing around with the MIDI and hear what im doing?

are there any helpful links someone can send me that explain/show how to get started, once the Axiom is enabled in reaper?

just to clarify, my Axiom is now connected to my comp via a separate usb cord from the Focusrite scarlett second gen. Both are connected to my comp;however they are not connected to each other. do i need an additional cord to connect the Axiom to the focusrite?
Old 02-14-2018, 04:30 PM   #9
slipstick

Look up to the top of the page.

"Download User Guide" and start reading it, particularly Chapter 3.

Or "Videos" - 24- MIDI is a good start https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#ztr7B-PrUHY but there are loads of other useful ones.

Basically you create a track, select your keyboard as MIDI input and add a VSTi to create the sound. If you haven't got any VSTis yet then you can start with ReaSynth from the Cockos FX folder.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:39 PM   #10
Allan Love

thanks a lot!

i tried downloading a plugin called "Piano One (Sound Magic)" and tried to follow the installation steps.

however, i don't know how to copy the dll file listed in the .rar folder and then paste that into my vst folder. how do i copy this dll file? i see it but idk what to do from there. when i click on it, it shows a long long list of coding, but nothing giving me direction as to what to do with it

secondly, is the vst folder going to be on my comp hard drive (bc that's where reaper is installed)?

thirdly, what about downloading samples into reaper?

thanks!
Old 02-24-2018, 08:11 PM   #11
dsomer

Default I have the CD if you want me to upload it for you?

Hi Allan. I have the Axciom 49 and the original CD if you are interested I can rip it and upload it as a zip for you to download and burn?

Let me know
dsomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:03 AM   #12
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Love View Post
i tried downloading a plugin called "Piano One (Sound Magic)" and tried to follow the installation steps.

however, i don't know how to copy the dll file listed in the .rar folder and then paste that into my vst folder. how do i copy this dll file? i see it but idk what to do from there. when i click on it, it shows a long long list of coding, but nothing giving me direction as to what to do with it
Have a look at the install steps mentioned here: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...71&postcount=5

Here's the link to the whole thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=168058

Quote:
secondly, is the vst folder going to be on my comp hard drive (bc that's where reaper is installed)?
In general, you can create custom VST plugin folders where you want. Just as example, something like:

- C:\VST-32bit --> for 32-bit VST plugins
- C:\VST-64bit --> for 64-bit VST plugins

Since you're using Reaper 64-bit (x64), using the 64-bit version of a plugin (if one is available) is the preferred option.

In this case add the 64-bit plugin folder to the VST plugin path via Preferences > Plug-Ins > VST and press the [Re-scan] button afterwards.
More info in the User Guide - chapter 1.16 Enabling VST Plug-ins.

Quote:
thirdly, what about downloading samples into reaper?
Basically, you can download and put audio files/samples into any folder to your liking. Importing and using these audio files/samples then into Reaper can be done in many ways:

- Using the 'Insert > Media File' menu
- Via 'View > Media Explorer'
- Via drag & drop from an external File Explorer
- Using the audio samples inside a sampler plugin like ReaSamplOmatic5000: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJD7aNzSmO8
- and so on ...

Last edited by solger; 02-25-2018 at 04:53 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:04 PM   #13
Allan Love

hey dsomer, for now i'm good but i appreciate the offer.

solger, thank you so much, i'll see if this works.

i appreciate everyone who responded.