Old 10-14-2021, 02:48 PM   #1
vanceen
Human being with feelings

Default More secondary output questions

I'm still trying to find a way to use the secondary audio output feature for automatic backup.

I've found that if I do multiple takes by stopping the recording, moving the cursor back to the start, and recording again, I get a separate file for each take.

But if I set up a loop and record multiple times, I get a single file containing the takes sequentially. This happens even if I set the track to record multi-channel.

This seems like a big drawback.

Taken together with the fact that there doesn't seem to be a way to get the secondary output to go to a folder with the project name, nor is there a straightforward way to make each track default to "primary + secondary as invisible backup", this feature seems pretty limited in practical terms.

Potentially, it could be great. I hope I've got it wrong somehow and someone can correct me.
vanceen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 12:52 PM   #2
vanceen
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanceen View Post
I'm still trying to find a way to use the secondary audio output feature for automatic backup.

I've found that if I do multiple takes by stopping the recording, moving the cursor back to the start, and recording again, I get a separate file for each take.

But if I set up a loop and record multiple times, I get a single file containing the takes sequentially. This happens even if I set the track to record multi-channel.

This seems like a big drawback.

Taken together with the fact that there doesn't seem to be a way to get the secondary output to go to a folder with the project name, nor is there a straightforward way to make each track default to "primary + secondary as invisible backup", this feature seems pretty limited in practical terms.

Potentially, it could be great. I hope I've got it wrong somehow and someone can correct me.
OK, I got it wrong, but I had to correct myself!

I recorded a few takes in a loop and looked at both the main project audio file and the secondary files. They were both the same.

Each file in the main project audio directory ALSO contains all the takes, sequentially. Apparently Reaper interprets these files as takes and puts the sequential clips into take lanes. I never knew it did that.

SO, cancel this question.

I'd still like to know if it's possible to do a directory offset for the secondary audio OR to set all tracks to primary + secondary by default.
vanceen is offline   Reply With Quote