Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #1
Human being with feelings

Default Impossible to change the sample rate in Reaper

I don`t know exactly when the problem started, I did everything in 44.1 for a couple of years but recently I needed to switch to 48 and it just ignores me and nothing changes. Nothing but 44.1 works. Requesting sample rate doesn`t help either. Could do it earlier with no problem. Anyone experienced the same recently? I`m on Windows 10, audio Interface is NI Komplete Audio 6...
111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #2
Jimmy James

I bet it is not a Reaper problem but a driver or Windows problem. I had a problem like this some time ago. And Windows was the key. I didn't have my interface as default for some audio thing, can't recall exactly what. But I would start with everything outside of Reaper....
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
foxAsteria

Normally you should use the device control panel to do this and sometimes that's the only way you can. So uncheck the Reaper box requesting a particular rate and click the ASIO configuration button instead.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:11 PM   #4

Ok, let`s assume it`s nor Reaper... but Mulab free works fine with all sample rates, huh? If it`s Windows then someone else should report the same thing... I mean I`m not the only one using it , there must be others for sure
Old 12-19-2018, 12:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Normally you should use the device control panel to do this and sometimes that's the only way you can. So uncheck the Reaper box requesting a particular rate and click the ASIO configuration button instead.
Unchecked
Old 12-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #6
foxAsteria

Reinstalling the driver should help.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #7
serr

If the system (the audio interface and host OS) refuses to take commands from Reaper, you can disable control from Reaper and use your OS audio control panel or a 3rd party control panel (if one comes with your interface and is required).

Untick the box next to sample rate in Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device to release control of this from Reaper.

The other possibility is that some other audio handling app is making sample rate requests to your core audio system that you aren't aware of. You set your sample rate with Reaper and then that app sets it right back! Open your OS audio control panel and watch the sample rate indication to see if that might be happening. Maybe you just need to close some media player or internet browser apps.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #8
karbomusic

The way to change it in reaper on the fly, assuming it's an ASIO driver, is to pull up the audio devices window in Reaper and click ASIO Configuration button and change it there. The reason is that this makes Reaper the owner of the communication to the SC control panel (because it is being opened by reaper itself - yes this matters ). Otherwise, if you change it outside of Reaper, or in general device preferences, it may change right back to what it was. That isn't a reaper issue FWIW, it has to do with something else having exclusive access. Also, in reaper's project settings, see if "project sample rate" is checked and if so, what is it set to there - that's the proper place to set it from a project standpoint.

If ^that doesn't allow you to change it, then some other app etc. already has exclusive control regardless.

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-19-2018 at 12:38 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #9

Thanks for your input, I haven`t found the solution so far, just downloaded the latest driver for my audio device and it says I already have the latest version (the previous one was released in 2015). Tried other options with no luck. Don`t know if it`s important to note but I can change all other settings like Process Buffer and USB Buffer, and only sample rate is unchangeable
Old 12-19-2018, 03:50 PM   #10
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111 View Post
just downloaded the latest driver for my audio device and it says I already have the latest version
You should still uninstall it, reboot and reinstall.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:24 AM   #11
Nip

Quote:
Thanks for your input, I haven`t found the solution so far, just downloaded the latest driver for my audio device and it says I already have the latest version (the previous one was released in 2015). Tried other options with no luck. Don`t know if it`s important to note but I can change all other settings like Process Buffer and USB Buffer, and only sample rate is unchangeable
One thing I encountered many years ago was that using tabs and having different sample rates in two projects - one will be resampled.

I had major project in 48k, and reference tracks on another tab in original 44k. But they both played - just 44k one get marked as resampled. But main menu bar saying 48k - if that is your problem?

Reaper resample everything in project, you can even have different sample rates on different tracks.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nip View Post
One thing I encountered many years ago was that using tabs and having different sample rates in two projects - one will be resampled.

I had major project in 48k, and reference tracks on another tab in original 44k. But they both played - just 44k one get marked as resampled. But main menu bar saying 48k - if that is your problem?

Reaper resample everything in project, you can even have different sample rates on different tracks.
not my case, but I managed to solve it now. I just change it in Project settings and that`s the only way it works as for now. Funny enough I`ve never tweaked anything through that window so I couldn`t instantly remember it actually exists
Thanks to all
Old 12-20-2018, 08:45 AM   #13
karbomusic

Quote:
I just change it in Project settings and that`s the only way it works as for now.
Yes correct, glad you got it sorted.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:42 AM   #14
foxAsteria

Oh duh, now I'm ashamed I didn't think of that...
Old 12-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #15
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Oh duh, now I'm ashamed I didn't think of that...
Yep, forgot to mention that too.

That override ability in the Project Settings window...
Does anyone else think this feature is obnoxious? A 2nd place to control the project sample rate that can override the main control panel. Just why?

To be clear, not the part about being able to run the project at a different sample rate than the connected hardware and have it convert on the fly. That's perfect and useful! The part about being able to tick that box to override the settings on the main control panel. Just why?!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:06 AM   #16
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
The part about being able to tick that box to override the settings on the main control panel. Just why?!
So that existing project's can set the rate regardless of the global setting? I probably have all kinds of projects (100s and 100s) going back to 2009 that may be in 44.1, 88.2, 96 and I'd prefer what is set in the project to override the default setting if I happen to open it up.

That said, I'd bet there is thread from way back in the early days where this was discussed.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:18 PM   #17
Philbo King

My setup is the same way. I have to use the interface driver app to set sample rate. It's not a huge deal for me since I almost always have it open anyway to set levels for zero latency monitoring levels.

And any time it needs to be changed, I need to change all other interfaces (like the onboard sound card and another 8x8 Terratec interface that feeds the SP/DIF input to my main interface) to the same setting, otherwise Windows would eventually garble up the audio. This got solved for me by disabling (*not* uninstalling) the onboard sound card and Terratec drivers in the device manager.