Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-22-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
sfletcher
Human being with feelings

Default New Axiom 49 Limited Edition working with Reaper

I am copying this message from the M-Audio forum.

After some online research and fooling around with keyboards at GC and Sam Ash i picked up the red Axiom 49 Limited Edition to use to enhance recording in Reaper.

It took me a few days to get my head around the best way to do this, but I now have the Axiom controlling Reaper's transport controls, the 8 sliders doing fader duty on 8 channels, the buttons below the sliders acting as mute toggles for each track, and the rotary controllers as pan controls for each track.

Changing Axiom programs controls the voices in my TTS-1 plugin using different instruments for each of the 4 zones.

Also, the pads are mapped to the drums properly.

I think this will really speed up the editing I will be doing in MIDI to enhance my analog recordings.

So far no huge surprises, but it was a little hard to get my head around a method that would work for the zone and group buttons to do Mute on/off.

My next project is to get the controls to work with some of my other VSTs - hopefully without having to recall a different pre-set (might not be possible).

sfletcher
sfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
jamester

Cool, what's the "Limited Edition" of the Axiom? My old Axiom 25 broke on me, but it's still my favorite midi keyboard out there...been thinking of getting a bigger one and trying again.

Quote:
Also, the pads are mapped to the drums properly.
What are you using for drums? The TTS-1?
jamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
sfletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamester View Post
Cool, what's the "Limited Edition" of the Axiom? My old Axiom 25 broke on me, but it's still my favorite midi keyboard out there...been thinking of getting a bigger one and trying again.

What are you using for drums? The TTS-1?
I am just using TTS-1 for drums currently but I have installed LoopaZoid and ersDrums without trying them out yet.

The Limited Edition axioms are just like the regular axioms except the 49 is a gorgeous Nord red color and the 25 is like Caterpillar yellow. These are only available at Guitar Center and are about $30 more than the regular versions. Lots of $ for some paint, but I really enjoy the look.
sfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:44 AM   #4
Gerry G

Default Well worth it I would say

I have the Axiom 61 and it is fantastic. I have compared it to some really expensive keys (albeit they have onboard sound) and it compares very favourably.

My friend is a keyboard player who every band wants to have. He plays just about every style from ragtime blues to very strange space synth stuff and he has never commented on my Axiom. He never uses a computer based setup as he does not trust them for stage work. Just privately (ok very publicly here on the interweb) I think that his lack of comment is either because he thinks it is really good or a POS. I do not think it is a POS because I find it so handy to use.

Anyhows I like mine and would easily pay a few dollars more for one I could use on stage that looked good even though I use keys then only to trigger stuff and play a few easy chords and sounds.
Gerry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:35 AM   #5
JayTheProducer

Default Axiom 25 Reaper

I have the axiom 25, (answer)the axioms work great with reaper.

The question is, how do I control more parameters with the axiom it only has 8 pads and 8 rotaries;I have a friend who programmed his to control reaper with up to 24 controls each, how do I do this?

He did go to Harvard though
JayTheProducer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:55 AM   #6
pollux

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTheProducer View Post
I have the axiom 25, (answer)the axioms work great with reaper.

The question is, how do I control more parameters with the axiom it only has 8 pads and 8 rotaries;I have a friend who programmed his to control reaper with up to 24 controls each, how do I do this?

He did go to Harvard though
you have to edit the keyboard presets (with the provided software for example) so that you have something like:
preset 1 - faders 1 to 9 - midi ch 1 - midi CC 10 to 18 - encoders 1 to 8 - midi ch 2 - midi cc 10 to 17
preset 1 - faders 1 to 9 - midi ch 1 - midi CC 19 to 27 - encoders 1 to 8 - midi ch 2 - midi cc 18 to 25
and so..

like that you just need to change the preset to handle as many channels as you like.
Just mind that the faders are not motorized, so you might get weird things when switching presets...
pollux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
drybij

I've tried, and am still trying to use my Axiom 49 with Reaper. I can easily assign the controls and pads to things in Reaper, but since I usually have 16-24 tracks I'm working on, the eight faders / eight rotary knobs / eight buttons are only marginally useful.

Of course, I can map them to the first eight tracks' volume, pan, and mute/solo, but what of the remaining tracks?

I've tried mapping the controls to only work on the selected track. If this would work properly it would be great because all them controls for one track would present many possibilities. But alas, that doesn't work well because when I select a different track, the parameters would jump around. Of course the correct solution is to get a pricey motorized controller.

So I'm left with the using the transport controls and the drum pads, both of which are quite handy.

Does anybody have any creative ideas for mapping these controls so I can get the most out of my midi controller on projects with more than eight tracks?
drybij is offline   Reply With Quote