Old 04-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
Caelumamittendum
Human being with feelings

Default Clouded Visions (Prog metal ish)

So it's been a while since I wrote anything, and since I posted anything new.

I finished writing this in the beginning of the week and recorded it late Thursday/Friday.

I'm not a singer, and I've never really practiced singing, so I have no proper technique, so listen at your own risk, I can't account for damage to your ears! Hah!

It's just a demo/rough draft. Not properly mixed or anything.

Let me know what you think though.
Caelumamittendum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
msundh

Nothing wrong with your singing abilities, but your low self confidence is reflected in the mix.
The voice is too low or too muddy at times and the guitars too loud at times.
Is there any bass? It felt a bit thin.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:35 AM   #3
Caelumamittendum

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
Nothing wrong with your singing abilities, but your low self confidence is reflected in the mix.
The voice is too low or too muddy at times and the guitars too loud at times.
Is there any bass? It felt a bit thin.
Thanks for the comments I might get more comfortable with singing if I practice some more. Then my self confidence might follow!

There's bass in there, yes, maybe it's a little low, not sure. It follows the kick quite a bit.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
msundh

When I replaced my car CD stereo with USB equipped one, I started to sing along with demos and test recordings and that improved my singing a lot and I found out new ways of singing to the songs.
Highly recommended if you're like me, a little bit shy singing so others can hear
Old 04-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #5
Caelumamittendum

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
When I replaced my car CD stereo with USB equipped one, I started to sing along with demos and test recordings and that improved my singing a lot and I found out new ways of singing to the songs.
Highly recommended if you're like me, a little bit shy singing so others can hear
Sounds like good advice! Unfortunately I don't have a car, so it's not really an option.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:17 PM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Thanks for the comments I might get more comfortable with singing if I practice some more. Then my self confidence might follow!
Your voice is fine. I'll tell you a story... Up until 10 or more years ago (meaning almost all my life because I'm >50 now) I was so embarrassed to sing, I couldn't even sing in the car BY MYSELF. My confidence was so low and I was so shy about it, I couldn't even bear to hear my singing enter my own ears, much less a recorded version.

At some point I said screw it, and would wait till no one was home, frantically looking outside to make sure no one pulled up every 10 minutes and would just record myself making up melodies and harmonies. Now, a decade later, you can't shut me up when it comes to singing and roughly half the songs in my band I sing, all it took was doing it and just accepting the cringe factor which fairly quickly subsided.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #7
Caelumamittendum

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Your voice is fine. I'll tell you a story... Up until 10 or more years ago (meaning almost all my life because I'm >50 now) I was so embarrassed to sing, I couldn't even sing in the car BY MYSELF. My confidence was so low and I was so shy about it, I couldn't even bear to hear my singing enter my own ears, much less a recorded version.

At some point I said screw it, and would wait till no one was home, frantically looking outside to make sure no one pulled up every 10 minutes and would just record myself making up melodies and harmonies. Now, a decade later, you can't shut me up when it comes to singing and roughly half the songs in my band I sing, all it took was doing it and just accepting the cringe factor which fairly quickly subsided.
Yeah, I get what you're saying It does taking accepting and getting over that cringe factor - who knows, if I keep practicing my neighbours might some day think it sounds okay. I think they already know I make music once in a while, so I think they're actually okay with the "noise". I do live in an apartment block though, where everything can be heard by neighbours or people upstairs/downstairs. Guess I should either move to the country side, or just accept that things will be this way untill the day I can move.

Thanks for the comment, much appreciated!